Fly Fusion Forums

Police Lake And Quality Fisheries Support

CMA NOTES

1) Mods .. .starting a new thread on purpose. We need some action.

2) I am yelling at you. Get over it.

3) I may edit this post later. I gotta go out now. I am still gonna yell though.

See here for adc's first post. He posted this.

It's time to vote, folks........Hope you have all had a chance to fish Police under the new regs. Progress is a bit slow but it's coming......There are still some of the old guard who want it back the way it was........If you believe we need MORE ANGLER CHOICE and MORE QUALITY FISHERIES in the Province it is imperative that you make your voice heard. Outlined below is the review process. Please be sure to vote and also let any of your fishing associates who may not use this Board know as well.......

Al......

Police Outpost Lake. Review of Quality Fishing Regulation. Public/Stakeholder Input requested.

Proposal #1 Keep the current regulations (1 Trout Limit over 50 cm; Bait Ban; Closed November 1 to March 31)

Proposal #2 Go back to the previous regulations (5 Trout Limit; No Size Restrictions; No Bait Ban; Open Year Round)

You can send your opinion to:

Terry Clayton

Senior Fisheries Biologist ASRD Fish and Wildlife Division

Terry.Clayton@gov.ab.ca

NOW HERE IS WHY I AM STARTING A NEW THREAD.

KEEPING CURRENT POLICE LAKE REGS IS NOT A SLAM DUNK GUYS AND GALS.

1) There are over 2,000 anglers here and my guess (just a guess) that 90 percent of you have not told Terry Clayton how you feel. Get off you asses an vote however you want. JUST VOTE.

2) Over at Alberta Outdoorsman the VAST majority of anglers support the conceot of quality fisheries--something that may surprise you. We ALL like to catch a few large trout, no matter if we spin fish or fly fish. See poll results from AOF below. Do not sweat about the poll choice..the general outcome is that only 6% of anglers want the "five fish per day" regs and 95 percent lean toward developing quality trout fisheries.

3) THIS IS NOT JUST ABOUT POLICE LAKE!! This is about sending a message in support of quality fisheries. If the regs revert back at Police you can bet SRD will be cautious about developing more QF lakes anywhere.

SO VOTE HOWEVER YOU WANT. BUT PROBABLY THERE ARE ABOUT 2,000 OF YOU OUT THERE THAT HAVE NOT VOTED.

I can't tell you how to vote, but if you support the concept of Quality Fisheries then email Terry and tell him you support Proposal #1.

End of yelling! Get on it NOW.

Thanks and kind regards.

Clive

Here are the Alberta Outdoorsman poll results. So have 94 percent of FFC members voted to support the continuance of quality fisheries?!

outdoorsmanpollmarch2011-0.jpg

Hey thanks guys! And thanks to all who have voted. Much appreciated.

But a lot of FFC members probably have not sent in a note.

Naturally we have no way of knowing who and how many have voted here and elsewhere. However, the ''word on the street" is that faxes are flying in opposing the QF regs ... just rumors, but enough that we have to place some credibility in them. (I live in a small town ... the vote notice is getting "air time" at a couple of local shops. The word is "send a fax." Word gets around in small towns.)

With so much support for quality fisheries in the AOF poll we need to make sure those interested in catching some nice trout make sure they let their feelings be known.

Bullshead has been impressive. Police fish growth has been slower. But it will come around. The combo of BH and Police is going to make a great camping trip for folks from Calgary and Edmonton.

Thanks to everyone who has voiced their opinion.

Regards

Clive

Hey thanks guys! And thanks to all who have voted. Much appreciated.

But a lot of FFC members probably have not sent in a note.

Naturally we have no way of knowing who and how many have voted here and elsewhere. However, the ''word on the street" is that faxes are flying in opposing the QF regs ... just rumors, but enough that we have to place some credibility in them. (I live in a small town ... the vote notice is getting "air time" at a couple of local shops. The word is "send a fax." Word gets around in small towns.)

With so much support for quality fisheries in the AOF poll we need to make sure those interested in catching some nice trout make sure they let their feelings be known.

Bullshead has been impressive. Police fish growth has been slower. But it will come around. The combo of BH and Police is going to make a great camping trip for folks from Calgary and Edmonton.

Thanks to everyone who has voiced their opinion.

Regards

Clive

Hi Clive, It is just like having the right to vote, in that if you feel strong enough about something, you had damn well better take the opp to get your two bits worth in there. Weather you vote for or against the way I feel, at least you vote. Go for it gents and ladies. It can go a long way, and you see the way the vote leans. You see the way things are going in this world. Bless Canada and the right to say your piece of mind. Thanks Dad for fighting for those rights. And lets all vote during this up coming (again) election.

Just typed this now, haven't sent it in yet. Any thoughts or basic proofreading?:

Dear Terry:

My name is Mike Smith and I have been fishing AB waters since I was thirteen (over 30 years ago...). My intention for this email is to let you know that you can add my voice to the chorus of anglers asking for more quality fisheries like Muir and Bullshead (to name two).

My father and I enjoy catching different species with differing methods, but we really enjoy flyfishing for trout. Living in Edmonton means when we're limited to day trips, we often choose the convenience of the stocked "pothole" lakes located close to the city.

We've been monitoring the implementation of regulations that create quality fisheries closely, and have been very impressed with the results with Muir. We'Ve also heard about the terrific fishing in Bullshead; we're hoping to make it down there in the near future.

My dad and I both support the initiatives taken by SRD in the recent past and would support future efforts to create more quality fisheries. We understand that the creation of the fisheries are not without challenges particularly when a lake like Police Outpost is selected, which has a long history of put and take type of approach (bait allowed, 5 fish per day).

Given these challenges, we feel its important voice both our support for quality fisheries and voice our concern about the proposals to change Police Outpost back to its original management practices. We understand that change is difficult for many, yet we feel a balanced approach to managing AB's stillwater trout fisheries is called for, as the growing trend - just look at the demand and pressure these lakes face - is for more quality fisheries. While it is understandable - and we support this approach too - that SRD would first seek "dead" or "fishless" or "underutilized" habitat first, its also important to recognize that the most suitable lakes aren't always readily available or ideal or aren't currently being used with traditional regulations.

Therefore, we must reiterate that the future of these fisheries must be based on a philosophy of balance and sharing. We're not advocating that all - or even the majority - of these lakes with existing, viable fisheries be changed to reflect a quality management approach, but we do think its fair to ask that AB anglers support that more than a few could cater to this type of fishing. It would makes sense because the demand is there. Certainly, I think a credible argument could be made in favor of creating another quality fishery close to Edmonton.

In closing, we urge the SRD to go through in keeping the quality regulations in place for Police Outpost. Two final points to make: (1) look at the stunning success of the much-lauded Manitoba Parkland. I'm sure you are well aware that this type of fisheries has attracted anglers from well across North America (2) our rivers and creeks have faced more and more pressure this last decade - factors like the increased popularity of stream angling, drought, industry impact on riparian habitat - we think it would make much sense to create more quality lake fisheries that may assist in alleviating pressure on our more fragile flowing watersheds.

Thank-your for your time.

Mike and Austin Smith

Edmonton.

Clive,

There are two types of people. Self Starters & Kick Starters.

Where did you put the BIG BOOTS!!!

Folks,

If Police Outpost lake reverts to what it was just 4 years ago, we have no hope ever of doing anything about lakes in this province.

I know few fish lakes. I fish everything. You're missing some of the best fun of your life. The lake fishing season is starting next week for me with a chance to catch something that looks like this:

post-206-1301973468.jpg

Don

Just typed this now, haven't sent it in yet. Any thoughts or basic proofreading?:

Dear Terry:

My name is Mike Smith and I have been fishing AB waters since I was thirteen (over 30 years ago...). My intention for this email is to let you know that you can add my voice to the chorus of anglers asking for more quality fisheries like Muir and Bullshead (to name two).

My father and I enjoy catching different species with differing methods, but we really enjoy flyfishing for trout. Living in Edmonton means when we're limited to day trips, we often choose the convenience of the stocked "pothole" lakes located close to the city.

We've been monitoring the implementation of regulations that create quality fisheries closely, and have been very impressed with the results with Muir. We'Ve also heard about the terrific fishing in Bullshead; we're hoping to make it down there in the near future.

My dad and I both support the initiatives taken by SRD in the recent past and would support future efforts to create more quality fisheries. We understand that the creation of the fisheries are not without challenges particularly when a lake like Police Outpost is selected, which has a long history of put and take type of approach (bait allowed, 5 fish per day).

Given these challenges, we feel its important voice both our support for quality fisheries and voice our concern about the proposals to change Police Outpost back to its original management practices. We understand that change is difficult for many, yet we feel a balanced approach to managing AB's stillwater trout fisheries is called for, as the growing trend - just look at the demand and pressure these lakes face - is for more quality fisheries. While it is understandable - and we support this approach too - that SRD would first seek "dead" or "fishless" or "underutilized" habitat first, its also important to recognize that the most suitable lakes aren't always readily available or ideal or aren't currently being used with traditional regulations.

Therefore, we must reiterate that the future of these fisheries must be based on a philosophy of balance and sharing. We're not advocating that all - or even the majority - of these lakes with existing, viable fisheries be changed to reflect a quality management approach, but we do think its fair to ask that AB anglers support that more than a few could cater to this type of fishing. It would makes sense because the demand is there. Certainly, I think a credible argument could be made in favor of creating another quality fishery close to Edmonton.

In closing, we urge the SRD to go through in keeping the quality regulations in place for Police Outpost. Two final points to make: (1) look at the stunning success of the much-lauded Manitoba Parkland. I'm sure you are well aware that this type of fisheries has attracted anglers from well across North America (2) our rivers and creeks have faced more and more pressure this last decade - factors like the increased popularity of stream angling, drought, industry impact on riparian habitat - we think it would make much sense to create more quality lake fisheries that may assist in alleviating pressure on our more fragile flowing watersheds.

Thank-your for your time.

Mike and Austin Smith

Edmonton.

These type of letters are important, but even a simple "Terry, I'm in favour of keeping the Police Outpost regs currently as they are" goes a LONG way also. It takes 30 sec to send an email off.

I don't want to spend my springs in BC or Manitoba.

I just sent my letter. One point that people are missing is what does this mean for the town of Cardston. If the regulations change the town will be losing out on all kinds of revenue coming form people who stay in hotels, eat at resturaunts and like to shop in their historical down town. This issue needs to be brought to the town councils attention, The owners of the local hotels, the bussiness district and the golf course. I doubt they even know that they have a Trophy lake in their midst that in the near future is going to bring in substantial revennue. Just wit till the first reports of 23inch fish and they will start to see the traffic we just need to give it the time it needs......I will make some phone calls today and send a few e-mails.

P.S- It took 2 min to write a note, copy and patste terrys email from above even if you think you may never fish this lake there is a bigger movement at steak here.

I just sent my letter. One point that people are missing is what does this mean for the town of Cardston. If the regulations change the town will be losing out on all kinds of revenue coming form people who stay in hotels, eat at resturaunts and like to shop in their historical down town. This issue needs to be brought to the town councils attention, The owners of the local hotels, the bussiness district and the golf course. I doubt they even know that they have a Trophy lake in their midst that in the near future is going to bring in substantial revennue. Just wit till the first reports of 23inch fish and they will start to see the traffic we just need to give it the time it needs......I will make some phone calls today and send a few e-mails.

P.S- It took 2 min to write a note, copy and patste terrys email from above even if you think you may never fish this lake there is a bigger movement at steak here.

Good point Troutlover.........Unfortunately the Town of Cardston probably has not yet see the economic spin this lake can---and will---produce...........It's just a bit too early but in a year or two when the quality improves to where it can be with a bit more time, you're dead on...........There will be significant economic benefits to the area.............

Well I was - very obscurely - trying to allude to the economic spinoff argument by mentioning the Manitoba Parkland.

Anyways, I sent the letter as written. I know it could have been a simple one liner - but I thought its a little more compelling to have an argument. Plus, I like doing that.

Bottom line is that Clive is right - whether you just drop a quick one liner or write a novel like me, be a Nike fan and:

JUST DO IT!

:)

Guest Sundancefisher

Reading a thread on another site about the hordes of people going to Bullshead demonstrates how great a fishery this will be once the kinks are worked out.