Fly Fusion Forums

Floating The Bow--best Time Of Season To Go.

I want to take 2 or 3 trips down the Bow this year with a guide in a drift boat.

Is it worth going before run-off, seeing as a lot of the bigger rainbows will have left the river to spawn, or better to wait?

I would think that late summer to early fall would be a good time for one of the floats because of the hopper fishing.

I can go anytime.

What are the preferred floats as to where to go in & come out? Yes I know that there aren't that many options.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

There are no wrong answers here, but here is what I would do if I had 3 trips:

1. Late April/Early May--if anything like last year, the caddis fishing was unreal at times. Mostly browns, but there were lots of them!

2. Just after runoff, during Stampede week. The river is usually on fire around then

3. Late August/Early September. Weather is starting to turn, colors are unreal and lots of fish still looking up.

Better option than the forum is to call who you're looking to go with (or check with a multitude) and see what they would suggest.A good Guide will cater to your wants, and an honest one will go out of their way to tell you what to look for. Also, don't worry about the floats, and let your guide decide on that day. Having a preconceived notion could put you on a stretch that isnt fishing well.

Certain guides and shops do cater more to the nymphing or dry fly or streamer crowd. Do your homework.

I'd also say don't book well ahead for spring trips (late April/May, especially for dry fly fishing) due to inconsistent weather and fishing. Can be sweet or can be shot.

1. Late April/Early May--if anything like last year, the caddis fishing was unreal at times. Mostly browns, but there were lots of them!

2. Just after runoff, during Stampede week. The river is usually on fire around then

3. Late August/Early September. Weather is starting to turn, colors are unreal and lots of fish still looking up.

x2

Well said Rick. Not only would this give you some different scenery each trip but would also give a guy a good idea of how/where/what to fish the bow during the three peak seasons.