Fly Fusion Forums

Waterproof Breathable Jacket For Less Than $150?

Anyone have a suggestion for a waterproof breathable jacket for hitting the river for less than $150? Thanks guys!

I spent $75 on a jacket from MEC that has been going strong for 2 years, has a liner and 4 pockets. I've had it through all sorts of storms and it has survived a ton of bush whacking. Will probably get another one if this one goes down.

MEC is a good choice, and / or any other manufacturer that makes outdoor wear. Which brings me to my next point; buy rain gear (or any outdoor gear e/ Waders) from reputable companies that make outdoor wear like Arcteryx, MEC, Mountain Hardwear (my fave), North Face, Patagonia, Cloud Veil (RIP), etc.

Fly Rod companies make fly rods for fishing, ...... and jackets for brand whores.

I bought a "Viking" brand waterproof breathable jacket from Marks Work Wearhouse 2 years back.. works great! I believe the Viking brand is now Dakota though.

I'm pretty sure this is the one (it has a full hood too that you can't see in the picture): http://www2.marks.com/productdetails.asp?c...%3FOpenDocument

I got it on sale for around ~$120 if I remember correctly.

well it is not under but I've been waiting quite a while for a deal..and at the show Loop jackets were being sold for half price or in my case a bit more..

..At the the whistler's booth they were selling for $400.00 cut to $200.00...but not the colours I wanted...however..at Southbow, I got what I wanted..dark gray pin strip going for $530.00 for $250.00...and yes..these jackets are 2010 line, but who cares, not I said the fly as he whizzed by!

..maybe if you give Mike a call you still might get lucky...................cheers...Wolfie

2nkhx4x.png

Got to agree with Ctown, everytime I've bought a waterproof jacket from a Fly Fishing company I've been disappointed, sooner or later you will realize that there is no way the jacket was designed by an angler and all you bought was the fancy branding. My MEC jacket was under $100 and as Buck said it's bulletproof.

My loop jacket is by far the best jacket I have ever bought and is very durable, warm and rain proof, infact I was in a downpour and the rain just beeded up on it and ran off, all the zippers are water proof, and the cuffs of the sleves are velcro so you can do them up tight so no water gets down the sleve.

I once had a william jospeh jacket that I gave away that was very durable and rain proof also, I think I spent $100 on it.

On a side note I also purchase a sprey from Sport Check which seals jackets from the rain, and I highly suggest it.

Be warned though when you sprey it you must give it a food 48 hours to let it set. Absoultly awsome stuff and I highly recommend it.

You could try one of these.

I have some William Joseph stuff, and I absolutely love it. I have the Rain Jacket and it is super light, easily packable and keeps me more than dry enough. Great stuff for a great price.

http://www.riverbum.com/William-Joseph-Squall-Jacket/

http://www.riverbum.com/William-Joseph-Rain-Jacket/

I notice alot of MEC reccomendations, but I remember a few years ago there was talks of MEC supporting anti-hunting groups. Where do they stand on fishing? Just something to note before you choose to support the brand.

I remember reading this as well but can't recall where.

I'm not anti-hunting, but considering the current Grizzly population in this province I agree the Grizzly hunt should be banned- for the time being.

:cheers:

Regards Mike

And I'm glad MEC put some support behind that cause. Alberta CONSERVATION Association my hairy derriere!

I can't speak to MEC's official policy, but I applied for a job there not too long ago and asked several staff members and the manager about their feelings on fishing; none were opposed, some were fishers themselves, and one asked me to teach her to cast.

I think my B-I-L picked one of those up (or a similar model) at the Expo - South Bow had them at their booth for $60?!

P

I have a Redington red storm that was a xmas present from the wife 3 years ago. Well built, windproof, waterproof, cuffs and still in great shape. Very comfortable, believe she paid about a hundred.

I received the new Loop jacket a couple years ago right when it came out. I like the look of it, but don't find it very warm...it's basically just a shell, and if you're wearing it without waders, it can get chilly if you don't layer underneath it.

Look for something that has a little more to it than a shell.