Fly Fusion Forums

Winters A Cominggg

Forecast is finally calling for november like temperatures and some snow I'm really looking forward to my drive to work tomorrow morning...

Anyone wana take wagers on how many collisions the city will see tomorrow morning? I put my number at 340.

"Oh the weather outside is frightful...." Too early??

We have been pretty lucky so far. I pray for the great CHINOOK and I'll be out there dodging ice. To the fellow with new all seasons, I too have new ones, but be cautious, as it is the all weather tires that are also classed as a winter tire. As much as I have new all seasons the titles are a little confusing and decieving. Drive safe and keep a close eye on all those goofs on the road.

all seasons don't protect you from the other idiots on the road. be careful out there boys. :)

Interesting point when discussing things like bad drivers, etc, it is always the other guy.. Not directed at you hogstopper, just an observation of coffe shop small talk.

Drove to the corner for a coffee this morning and people certainly do drive like fools on the first snow day. Although it was difficult to see everyone as my defroster had not melted all the ice on my windshield at that point. ;mornCoffee:

Interesting point when discussing things like bad drivers, etc, it is always the other guy.. Not directed at you hogstopper, just an observation of coffe shop small talk.

Drove to the corner for a coffee this morning and people certainly do drive like fools on the first snow day. Although it was difficult to see everyone as my defroster had not melted all the ice on my windshield at that point. ;mornCoffee:

Were you using a credit card to scape the inside of the windshield?

Regards Mike

All season tires perform well for 12 months of the year where there is no snow. However here in Canada other than places along the coast, all season tires only perform well in Spring Summer and Fall. (hence 3 seasons). There are way too many people here that don't realize all season does not actually include our winters here.

I used to believe that all seasons were fine for here until I experienced a real winter tire, it is really night and day in braking and control. People with 4x4s think they are invincible too but 4x4 only helps for pulling away and a little better control, does really nothing for braking unless you engine brake (I do have a 4x4 btw). If I had my way I would make it a law to have winter tires here, the amount of accidents that it could prevent would be staggering. I know what the next comment will be and the answer is, yes the tires still won't fix stupid....

Agreed you can't fix stupid,but all seasons work just fine for me with 4x4.If all you got is rear wheel drive then yes you need winter tires.

Braking should never be a problem,go slow leave lots of room.

Oh if only driving in a big city were that simple! <--poke--< You mean.. enough room for some yahoo to cut in front of you and hit the brakes?

The difference between All Seasons and Winters is night and day - 4x4 or not. 4x4 may handle better with All Seasons that a 2 wheel drive with All Seasons (or winters). But with winters, it will handle even better still. Driving habits are a big factor, but there's some science involved too. All Seasons get hard and lose their 'stickyness' at something like 7 degrees C. Winters keep their stickyness below -10C.

Here's a few cool videos:

Your tires connect your car to the road... They are the critical peice of equipment while driving, especially in the winter.

No comparison between all season and winter rated tires.

BTW 4x4 with out ice rated tires, just means that you have 4 tires that can screw you over. 4x4 has nothing to do with driving on icy roads. Yes, you can get out of snow, but like Ryan pointed out you need tires that stay soft in colder temps and tires that move water out from under you tires fast! It is the thin layer of water on the ice that causes slippery conditions and winter rated, and especially ice rated tires deal with that.

Winter tires should be mandatory.

If you have the time take a winter driving course with Allen Berg in Calgary. I recommend this course to everybody!

Absolutely amazing course, lots of fun and a great experience!!! Learn how to drive your own car on an ice track!

Well theres no doubt that winter rated tires are going to give you more traction i think everyone would agree to that.

But if you drive accordingly and your all seasons are fairly new you should still be ok with 4x4 or front wheel drive.Also pending on your all seasons as some have better snow grip then others.

One problem i see is people have sport tires or 60 series tires that are to wide and don't give the PSI like a 75 series tire would.