Fly Fusion Forums

The Brook Trout Thread

Because they're a plaque in western streams crowding native trout to extinction and hybridizing bull trout. Outside of it's native ranges there should be a must kill regulation if any angler catches a brook trout

I was ignoring this thread until that question

Good article, Taco. Below is a quote that sums it up.

"You put brook trout in a stream and the cutthroats just disappear," he says. "They're so many brook trout in the West—that's why they're our leading candidate to poison."

I am not familiar with Millennium Creek, but I do know a few streams struggling with over population of brookies.

Because they're a plaque in western streams crowding native trout to extinction and hybridizing bull trout. Outside of it's native ranges there should be a must kill regulation if any angler catches a brook trout

Thanks so much Taco, now I am educated on the topic. Funny I was just reading about the Lahontan Cuttthroat, and the article answered many questions I have.

very informative article Taco..explains a lot to those who no not.....Wolfie

Guest Sundancefisher

I have worked on Quirk Creek in the past and caught many bull brookie crosses in the Elbow. I find brookies to be extremely pretty fish to catch...but they are a scurge on the foothill streams for sure. A shame the early managers did not know any better.

Still...while we can't eliminate them all we do need to have a sound management plan in place to protect natives if possible. If there is no other viable fishery...then manage the brookies accordingly.

They are pretty little buggers... Hard to hate them.

Sun

P.S. If anyone wants a challenge...head along the forestry trunk road west of Caroline...in the flat valleys there are creeks meadering and barely visable...maybe 1-2 feet wide but 2-4 feet deep in places...loaded with brookies. Also Elbow Lake has tons of brookies and they are great eating and over populated so no need to feel bad about eating your limit.

Millennium Creek flows into Big Hill Creek about 15-20 meters before BHC empties into the Bow River.

Millennium Creek runs about 400 meters to a culvert running under Griffin Road; it goes about 150 more meters before there is an impoundment. Springs feed the impoundment and some of these springs were used to create the spawning channel.

It's a little more complicated that that. Brookies are a fabulous fish. Many would say the BEST of all the trout.

No they should not have been planted in our waters that had Native fish. One of many mistakes made in the past.

Of note.. all Brookies planted are triploids.

As for our natives waters now ..yes the Brookies should be removed..The problem is we can't just have a general.. kill all brookies regulation ..because many people can't tell the differance between a Brook Trout and a Bull Trout.

If we had a special license to kill Brookies in flowing waters , a special ID test would be required ..That could be an effective management tool I would support.

I am not keen on dumping poisions in creeks...

It's a little more complicated that that. Brookies are a fabulous fish. Many would say the BEST of all the trout.

No they should not have been planted in our waters that had Native fish. One of many mistakes made in the past.

Of note.. all Brookies planted are triploids.

As for our natives waters now ..yes the Brookies should be removed..The problem is we can't just have a general.. kill all brookies regulation ..because many people can't tell the differance between a Brook Trout and a Bull Trout.

If we had a special license to kill Brookies in flowing waters , a special ID test would be required ..That could be an effective management tool I would support.

I am not keen on dumping poisions in creeks...

There is actually a special license that allows you to do this on Quirk Creek and various other bodies of water, you must however pass a test as you mentioned above which is available at Trout Unlimited in Calgary and record details about your catches. Im not 100% sure on all the details but there is such a system in place.

Be careful what you put in the sights!

Brookies are not the only immigrants here. How about browns and 'bows.

Anybody up for a redd stomp. Can't have them browns overwhelming the native bulls. Of course, the stomp will be repeated this spring in all those rainbow waters. Don't feel left out if you can't make the fall stomp.

With that I'm slinking back to my corner and plotting catching some

post-206-1288746595.jpg

Don

P.S. If anyone wants a challenge...head along the forestry trunk road west of Caroline...in the flat valleys there are creeks meadering and barely visable...maybe 1-2 feet wide but 2-4 feet deep in places...loaded with brookies. Also Elbow Lake has tons of brookies and they are great eating and over populated so no need to feel bad about eating your limit.

Also the James, Teepee pole, Williams, Willson, Mcue, Nichi, Eagle, Upper and Lower Stoney, Jackson, Schrader, Wigwam Creek and any trib with holding water have tons of stunted brookies.

I like to fish a tiny stream for these tiny colorful trout but I'm also in favor of liberal bag limits as they may improve fish size and quality (I wonder if there are enough fishermen to stay ahead of their reproduction though). It would be nice to catch a 20" brook trout from some of these streams rather than a bunch of 6-10 inchers.

Jeff

Seriously Taco tell us how you really feel. Don't hold back.

Same way the Browns and/or Bows have almost eliminated the native species from the Bow River Basin and most other eastern slopes drainages.

Be careful what you wish for.

What is the discussin in Banff NP righ now in regard to ALL invasive/introduced fish species... *Cough*

Same way the Browns and/or Bows have almost eliminated the native species from the Bow River Basin and most other eastern slopes drainages.

Be careful what you wish for.

What is the discussin in Banff NP righ now in regard to ALL invasive/introduced fish species... *Cough*

Invasive species are and should be a very very low priority. That message was clearily sent by the Federal Government.

Generating dollars and bringing people to the parks is the priority.

Grizzly's and Bringing back the Cariboo seems just a little more important of a priority at this time with the limited budgets...

Seriously Taco tell us how you really feel. Don't hold back.

OK

wild generic rainbows piss me off too, we lost a slowly regenerating cutthroat stream to mongrel effin' rainbows recently. God knows where they came from, blown out private stock pond in '05 probably (??) all but the very extreme headwaters seemed to be basically fishless since the drought in 2000 and/or 2003. It's what the westslope cutthroat are specially good at, surviving Alberta's extremes.