Fly Fusion Forums

What Makes An Experienced Fisherman?

cgyguy

I have been fishing for over 40 years now, and consider myself to be an experienced fisherman. WHAT???? :laxfisher: I'm not sure if age should be considered to be an "experienced" fishperson? Hey, yes, I have been fishing for over 40 years but not every day! I get out as often as I can, and catch a few fish along the way, but I would hardly consider myself to be experienced. Does catching more fish than everybody make you more experienced? I have often heard guys on the board say "I have been fishing for x amount of years and consider myself to be an experienced fisherman (aka Rick W). <--poke--< To the point, i believe that what make someone an experienced fisherperson is how much time on the Water you have, not how old you are!! Hey, it's friggin cold out there today, and I doubt I will see any of those with x amount of experience on the river today!? Unless....... ::ice fish::

:cheers:

Guest Sundancefisher
I have been fishing for over 40 years now, and consider myself to be an experienced fisherman. WHAT???? :laxfisher: I'm not sure if age should be considered to be an "experienced" fishperson? Hey, yes, I have been fishing for over 40 years but not every day! I get out as often as I can, and catch a few fish along the way, but I would hardly consider myself to be experienced. Does catching more fish than everybody make you more experienced? I have often heard guys on the board say "I have been fishing for x amount of years and consider myself to be an experienced fisherman (aka Rick W). <--poke--< To the point, i believe that what make someone an experienced fisherperson is how much time on the Water you have, not how old you are!! Hey, it's friggin cold out there today, and I doubt I will see any of those with x amount of experience on the river today!? Unless....... ::ice fish::

ummmmm...

Question...What Makes an Experienced Fisherman?

Experience maybe? <--poke--<

I think I'd rather learn from an "experienced" angler who catches good numbers of fish. One that can fish a variety of techniques and water conditions. Catching a variety of species would also be a bonus. Getting outdoors is good, but actually catching fish is what I'm after. Anyone can go for a walk along the river....I go there to catch fish.

Experience as a general concept comprises knowledge of or skill in or observation of some thing or some event gained through involvement in or exposure to that thing or event.

*edit*

I don't think it's as easy as providing a definition, as everyone's own "individual" experiences can offer something of value to themselves or someone elses "experience"...

P

Sigh. Just another wave of abuse I face while fishing with you. At least I can "direct' a driftboat and you thought I was just inexperienced when we ran into the shoreline while you fished up front! Oh ya, and leave that bloody airhorn at home next time we are in the bush fishing with the bears. I'm still picking pine needles outta my forehead from your "discreet" blasts two inches from my ear! @#$%

FHD

Pretty hard to define, but one thing for certain is all of the true "experienced" fishermen I know aren't tooting their horns every chance they get on the internet talking big numbers.

Just to be clear, When you say "tooting their horns". Does that include Airhorns? :P

Pretty hard to define, but one thing for certain is all of the true "experienced" fishermen I know aren't tooting their horns every chance they get on the internet talking big numbers.

You $eem to be forgetting that the$e individual$ have other number$ in mind.....

1 day of fishing = experienced.

1000 days of fishing = experienced.

400+ fish in a day = $igh.

I think, you become experienced when you gain confidence....Like, when ya walk up to a stretch or body of water, old or new, and just have that feeling of confidence, that you have a pretty good idea whats goin to work, along with some back up plans....That totally comes down to time on the water, having a good positive attitude, a good concentration, keeping your mind open to new tactics, casting with other people that have a similar outlook as yourself, and taking the slow days as a learning experience...Thats kinda how I look at it.... B) ...

Cheers...Jeff..

Experience doesn't necessarily make one a good fisherman - it's what you do with the experience that does. It sounds like you're trying to define what makes a good fisherman. I'm not gonna touch that topic. :whistle:

I've fished with people that say they have fished for twenty years, and can't cast a good line. They admit to fishing once or twice a year.

I've fished with someone who is just 3 months into fly fishing but has been out 30 times.

It's all about time on the water. Years has nothing to do with it.

People that come on internet BB to attempt to derail good conversations every chance they get (giovanne and egocop) should be banned. Your only intent in any posts you have made is the intent to make derogatory remarks towards people. Keep doing so you two. Your IP's are logged on here. Civil law will take care of you guys eventually. There's a lot of lawyers who make big bucks out there just on people like you guys.

I've fished with people that say they have fished for twenty years, and can't cast a good line. They admit to fishing once or twice a year.

I've fished with someone who is just 3 months into fly fishing but has been out 30 times.

It's all about time on the water. Years has nothing to do with it.

People that come on internet BB to attempt to derail good conversations every chance they get (giovanne and egocop) should be banned. Your only intent in any posts you have made is the intent to make derogatory remarks towards people. Keep doing so you two. Your IP's are logged on here. Civil law will take care of you guys eventually. There's a lot of lawyers who make big bucks out there just on people like you guys.

I smell a little pot calling the kettle black here!

I smell a little pot calling the kettle black here!

Haven't said a thing about them other than in defense of one statement I made about the one day I spent on a certain drainage this year. There dragging it out into every thread they can get it started (including this one). Enough already. If they put that much effort into doing something for the resource maybe they'd get somewhere? I don't see their names on the donor lists for multiple organizations which help our streams out. Actions speak louder than words. People who know me know who I am and what I stand for and if a couple people on an internet board are going to continue to publicly attempt defamation of my character I will be looking into legal possibilities. The simple fact that you and others are started to see me in a different light is a direct result of their endless barrage.

The fact.

I guided about 15 days this year. I only fished myself about 15 days. I donated 7 days on the water to charities.

Abusing the resource? Hardly.

In it for the money? Hardly.

Makes me wonder what the agendas are on here.

Now, moving along... if we can have a thread anymore without people being abusive....