Fly Fusion Forums

Honesty Is The Best Policy

Neither, it's the guy who poaches a dozen.

just to stir the pot. Does he? who is doing more harm to the resource?

-the guy that goes in fishes with his kids all day and kills 3 fish for dinner?

-the guy that goes in c&rs 400 fish in a day........3% mortality rate? critic::

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is mortality rate in cold flowing water actually 3%? I think I have read multiple studies that peg it less than that (and some that were more, so many variables).

While I personally don't doubt there are 400 fish days, to say it is a statistical aberration would be an understatement. Lets say a normal mountain stream cutty average is what? 10-15 fish per person per day? I think it is somewhere in there for me. Some guys will catch less, some will catch more. So if the 3% number is accurate (and I highly doubt it is for cutties in cold water), that is 3 fish every 6-10 trips that don't make it, maybe.

Fish kill guy killed 18-30 on the same number of trips.

Thank you.

Neither, it's the guy who poaches a dozen.

isn't a dozen fish a dozen fish?

regardless of poacher vs C&R with 400 fish x 3% mortality

so it's not the resource but the law that has been broken that is the issue?

is there a stirring the pot emoticon ............. Yes

pot.gif

-or the guy who can catch a whole bunch of 30+ inch bull trout?

just to stir the pot. <--poke--<

ps. i'd love to catch something remotely close to your avatar pic!

-or the guy who can catch a whole bunch of 30+ inch bull trout?

just to stir the pot. <--poke--<

ps. i'd love to catch something remotely close to your avatar pic!

:peesout: that's exactly what I was trying to do... bravo fishfreak you made me laugh on a not much to laugh about day, thank you

and it's not a whole bunch of 30+ bull trout, just enough to fill the smoker

:peesout: that's exactly what I was trying to do... bravo fishfreak you made me laugh on a not much to laugh about day, thank you

and it's not a whole bunch of 30+ bull trout, just enough to fill the smoker

MMmmm... bully burgers!

So a guy gets out for one stellar day all summer and gets 300 that day, and catches a few throughout the rest of the summer on limited outings. Or the guy who fishes the Bow every day and catches 15, and has his 100 fish days on some streams during the year too, AND has his big bull trout avatar's? (you picked at me Jayhad I am going to pick back... it's human nature)

so can we get back on topic ?? or should we degrade this thread into an all out pissing match becuase someone said they had a great and fun day on a stream and a bunch of other people just can't let it be for whatever reason... which I will use some discretion and not bother to post my guesses as to why...I'm not even going to guess.

Folks,

Numbers matter if you keep accurate records. Been doing that for 40 years. The records have been used by SRD for management decisions.

And hot damn, I've been lying about the size of the fish I catch for years. I'd call them @ 13" and only when I got a measurement tape on by boat apron did I find the fish went from 13>15".

But if do have a rough measurement. Between forefinger and thumb is 9". If I go down the fish three times, its a decent one. If there's 3>5" let over, its a goodun.

And I think it would be possible to catch 300 tiny cuts a day. Got 50 or so in a couple of hours. Got so boring, I needed a nap.

catch ya'

Don

You say that SW rivers such as the Oldman are getting too much pressure- lack of big fish is your anecdotal evidence. You say that there should be a fishing moratorium on said streams, for as long as 5 years if I remember correctly. Then you proceed to kick the snot out of it by catching 400+ cutties in a day, the majority small ones.

I have no problem with someone that wants to lobby to get an area closed down based on the reasons you have stated in other posts.

I have no problem with someone that catches lots of fish in a good day.

I have a problem when a person claims a public resource is being abused then the same person makes claims such as yours.

Can you see the hypocrisy in this??

oops- almost forgot :box:

i fished a few times with hoggstoppah this summer and i believe his numbers.when the fishing is on they come fast,one right after another .if they are small it takes no time to land and release them.as far as 3% mortality,maybe for some fishermen that dont take the time to release correctly.i watched brian work on a cutty on the oldman that some jackass had released upstream from us and he saw it floating down bellyup.he worked on it for at least 15 mins trying to revive it.i still dont think it made it, but when he releases fish that he catches they are revived ready to go.

You say that SW rivers such as the Oldman are getting too much pressure- lack of big fish is your anecdotal evidence. You say that there should be a fishing moratorium on said streams, for as long as 5 years if I remember correctly. Then you proceed to kick the snot out of it by catching 400+ cutties in a day, the majority small ones.

I have no problem with someone that wants to lobby to get an area closed down based on the reasons you have stated in other posts.

I have no problem with someone that catches lots of fish in a good day.

I have a problem when a person claims a public resource is being abused then the same person makes claims such as yours.

Can you see the hypocrisy in this??

oops- almost forgot :box:

I understand where you are coming from but.... you don't understand where I am coming from. Thye ONLY good fishing left is where I was, and it's always been that way. Did I catch a single fish over 10 inches? I don't think so. Maybe 1. My beefs with the system are the lower reaches that hold the larger fish. They are overfished, and underpopulated, and I HAVE SPENT ZERO DAYS in the last year on areas I would propose closed.

Hypocrisy can also be viewed as someone always complaining about peoples numbers and fishing reports, yet having NEVER posted a report (good or bad) of your own. And look how YOU are exaggerating my initial claim of 300 to 400 based on a possibility stated in ONE thread..... Touche'

I think it is just too funny that grown men, and I use that term loosely, get into a pissing match on the internet about something like this. this should turn out to be the next locked topic.

I think the inflation of numbers of fish caught is a direct result of global warming and jetboats.

I'm not into a pissing match with this guy. He's attacking my ONE day of fishing the oldman this year, calling ME a hypocrit, and I am defending my day. I don't back down. What started as an HONEST statement of fact by me has been turned into this *hit show by Giovanee. I can't stand the pot calling the kettle black, so to speak. If he has fished at all this year, he's the pot.

and with that... I bid this thread farewell...

where is toolman, missinthebow, clive, and others? not posting here, that's for sure. I wonder why.

That is the saddest statement I have heard. We have lost may very good highly knowledgeable members, who at one time gave much of themselves to this forum and its members, and posted here on a regular basis. Many where driven off my mindless dolts who have no idea about common courtesy and decency speaking like children trying to break into an adult conversation. Very sad indeed. Please treat other members with respect and think a bit before pressing the "post" button.

where is toolman, missinthebow, clive, and others? not posting here, that's for sure. I wonder why.

:boxers: Hey- I started this original thread, but please do not take this the wrong way. It was in jest and a pot stirrer. Please enjoy counting all of your fish, and posting your numbers on the board! I am humbled by your numbers, and I expect for the most part, they are true.... :whistle: I enjoyed all of your feedback and had LOTS of laughs reading them. Seems everyone has something to say on this one! Thanks for the chuckles! :cheers:

:boxers: Hey- I started this original thread, but please do not take this the wrong way. It was in jest and a pot stirrer. Please enjoy counting all of your fish, and posting your numbers on the board! I am humbled by your numbers, and I expect for the most part, they are true.... :whistle: I enjoyed all of your feedback and had LOTS of laughs reading them. Seems everyone has something to say on this one! Thanks for the chuckles! :cheers:

Couldnt have said it better myself Ralph

I'm not into a pissing match with this guy. He's attacking my ONE day of fishing the oldman this year, calling ME a hypocrit, and I am defending my day. I don't back down. What started as an HONEST statement of fact by me has been turned into this *hit show by Giovanee. I can't stand the pot calling the kettle black, so to speak. If he has fished at all this year, he's the pot.

and with that... I bid this thread farewell...

Hey bud,

not really doubting your numbers, could give a rats azz if it was 20, 50, 500. Good on you.

You post some valuable info on here, great reports, and I am sure most, as I hold most of what you have to say in high regard. This is the reason I have been holding your feet to the fire on this as it is truly confusing and one of the most condescending posts based on your other posts to say the least.

I will leave it at this.