Fly Fusion Forums

William Joseph Drynamic Waders?

acurrie

Just looking for some feedback on the William Joseph drynamic waders. I was looking at ordering a pair from the states, and everything I've heard about them so far seems to be positive. I need a pair of Waders that will last more then 8 months, and I've gone through Spingbrook, Hodgman , 2 x proline and Redingtons over the past 4 years. Thanks!

Drew

Might be time to buy some Simms <--poke--<

I don't know your budget but this might be worth a go.

http://flyfishcalgary.com/board/index.php?showtopic=13489

My last two pairs have been Simms and I'll never go back!!! The pair I'm using now need a patch (Thanks Uber+barbed wire) but I'm sure they will last one more season. (3 on them now)

Guest Jeremie

I've got the william & joseph drynamic waders. I love em, they look nice too. They do seem to be a little small in the thigh area which is a problem but i find they are very well built!

Thanks for the replies guys. I don't wanna drop +$400 for the Simms though. I can get the WJ's for under $200 bucks and they sell in Calgary for $350, so I figured it would be a good deal. I have seen the G3 and G4's and they are badass but a little to spendy for me at the moment.

Yeah, I'm not droppimg $450 for the Simms, as good as they may be. Plus I need new waders before I head North to do some serious Steelheading in 2 weeks. In terms of getting the waders fixed, I have no idea. I'll probably do what I usually do when the leaks are super bad....buy another pair...lol. I think i'll try the WJ's, they seem pretty robust.

So instead of $450 its $400? I have a feeling that's still out of his budget.

However, I did pick up a nice pair of the Simms Freestone waders over at The Fishin Hole for only $229 plus tax. If you tell them that you are member of Ducks Unlimited, or even Trout Unlimited (I think), you get an additional 10% off.

Just sayin.....

Thanks for the replies guys. I don't wanna drop +$400 for the Simms though. I can get the WJ's for under $200 bucks and they sell in Calgary for $350, so I figured it would be a good deal. I have seen the G3 and G4's and they are badass but a little to spendy for me at the moment.

Sounds like a great deal.

FYI, I have some Filsons that I absolutely love. They are new to the game, but sure make quality gear.

The great fallacy in the whole wader game is that "if you buy cheap you will have to buy waders every year." I claim that if you buy inexpensive and smart, that statement is incorrect. I have a pair of $80.00 breathables I bought for my son 4 or 5 yrs ago. My other son is using them now.

I have a pair of William Joseph waders that I won in a magazine renewal draw a couple of years ago. I didn't need them at the time so they just lived in the box they came in for 2 years. I took them out to use on the river this year and after a couple of times on the river, I'm finding that they leak from almost every seam. They have not been abused and on the surface they look pretty much brand new. I sent a note to William Joseph asking how to go about getting them repaired. That was about 6 week ago and I have not heard back from them.

In my opinion, I would choose another brand.

Murray

Sounds like a great deal.

FYI, I have some Filsons that I absolutely love. They are new to the game, but sure make quality gear.

The great fallacy in the whole wader game is that "if you buy cheap you will have to buy waders every year." I claim that if you buy inexpensive and smart, that statement is incorrect. I have a pair of $80.00 breathables I bought for my son 4 or 5 yrs ago. My other son is using them now.

Generally this is not the case with waders. ^^^

I pissed around for years with different brands thinking that Simms are way overpriced. I would hazard a guess that anyone who has shelled out for Simms has no buyers regret...

The only other waders I would own would be wardell as they are repaired right here in Calgary, a big bonus.

Oh ya- I have owned Dan Bailey, Cloudveil, Bare, Springbrook, and now finally Simms.

My last pair of waders before the ones I currently have were a pair of Wardels purchased from Hanson's when they still had a shop in Vancouver got 5 seasons out of them, still have them hanging around in case of emergency. I'm now on my 4th season with my Snowbee XS-pro's and no signs of leaks, I usually have over 150 days a year on the water and I don't 'baby' my gear but I do take care of it.

Colin

I can get the WJ's for under $200 bucks and they sell in Calgary for $350, so I figured it would be a good deal.

I bought some "Guide" waders from Cabella's thinking they were a deal and after exchange, shipping, tarriff's, etc. they were still cheaper, but not by much.

However, I had to return them because they didn't fit ($32). Then after 3 mo they started leaking. Return ($). New pair started leaking after 3 months.

Lesson learned. Don't buy waders from the states. Buy local. You can try them on before you purchase. If you have any real problems, they're local. The shop's taxes support our infrastructure, etc.

ps. I got a couple shirts at the same time and they're quality.

Drew: If you do get the WillyJoes, make sure you indicate "ship via USPS". They almost automatically will ship UPS, who will bend you over for their "Brokerage" scheme.

I have a pair of WJs, got them just this spring, so haven't really strained them much. One week on the Bella Coola in August and a few days bushwhacking on a steelie stream in N. BC . So far so good. I had a pair of North Rivers(Redl Sports house brand) for 6 years, one barbwire puncture, that was it. They are substantially thicker than the WJs though. My wife decided she owned them after wading the Bella Coola. (Maybe cuz I told her she looked "hot" in waders and waving spey?)

j

I've stated this before in a previous thread...

About 3 years ago a roommate of mine (a former guide) was looking for a new set of waders and looked at the Willy J's at a non-sponsoring shop... Out of the box he noticed they had 2 left feet... With further research it was concluded that they had numerous quality control issues... Not sure they have improved any...

I have gone through 2 sets of waders 1st was one of the original generations of the patagonias and they weren't great! Next were Redington CPS and they didn't last too long before they started to leak. I went back to the latest generation of patagonias guidewaters and like the SIMMS, you get what you pay for and these are the best waders IMHO. Pay the little extra for quality & piece of mind and you won't be disappointed (and if you are, both Patagonia and SIMMS have the BEST warrantees in the business - bar none!)