Fly Fusion Forums

A Little Fun On The Bow

So Rick and I hit the river the yesterday really early....5 am early! I was still half asleep and figured I would do some video taping and let Rick fish more since he couldn't stay long because he had to be at the office by 8:30.

I got some decent footage, but as it turned out, most of it was not usable because I had the camera set wrong for the lighting and had it set on medium quality.

What I did end up getting turned out to be a little fun, so I quickly cut it up and figured I would post it here for a little laugh....at Rick's expense of course.

I apoligize for the shakiness. I was trying to keep up to Rick while giggling to myself a little as well.

I have to give Rick credit. If a fish took off downstream like this on me, I know I am too lazy to go after it so it would win this battle against me, but not Rick. :rolleyes:

Enjoy.

Hopefully this works.

http://s159.photobucket.com/albums/t127/Mi...=Movie_0002.flv

I'll try again.

It seems to work sometimes and not other times.

I don't know why and I've never had problems with Photobucket before. I guess there's a first time for everything. These both worked just now when I tested them, so hopefully they work for you.

Try this

th_Movie_0002.jpg

or this

http://s159.photobucket.com/albums/t127/Mi...=Movie_0002.flv

OK, so it worked for me. A couple of points (maybe more than a couple)

1. I just spit coffee all over myself. Literally

2. God, I'm good lookin'.

3. I run pretty good for an older gentlemen

4 OK, so I pulled the fish up on the bank a little agressively. I'm still learning. But I did not pull him out of the water.

5. I can actually play a bit of that song on the guitar

6. BEEEAAYYAAAHHH! That was one fun fish to catch!!

7. He released like a dream.

thanks Brett, that was sweet. Great choice of music. Watch your back!

I also wanted to add the story behind the video:

I was fishing a pretty shallow run, and to tell the truth, didn't really expect anything. When I hooked him, I didn't think he was very big. He worked upstream a bit and then hung me up on a rock, or so I thought. I moved the rod a bit to see if I could shake him loose when I realized the rock was him, and he was a bit bigger than I thought! He then jumped, raced down the run and out into the very fast water. I looked at Brett and said "and away we go" and off to the races. I find chasing them very fun. That was a great way to start the day!! He (or she, I don't know how to tell yet) was 19 to 20".

Photobucket just got back to me and said it is most likely a bandwidth probem, meaning that if too many people are attempting to view the video, you will get redirected to their homepage.

Basically they said to be patient. :angry:

I'm glad you liked it Rick. I knew with your sense of humor you would be fine with it, but you never know.

We'll get some really good video on September I'm sure.

Great clip. Opened for me first time off the original post. Very difficult to shoot video when your jigging to that up-beat tempo though. Try someting a little slower next time or just dub the music in later. Great effort! What is it like out there at 5am.? Another Rick.

Good stuff gentlemen. Had a good laugh at that run downstream :D . I'm with you MTB on being to lazy to chase any more. The funny thing is I seem to be able to turn em around after a while anywho B) .

Maybe afert I've caught as many as you two, I'll plant my feet as well! Maybe I'll get a good start chasing the bulls in a couple of weeks!

Maybe afert I've caught as many as you two, I'll plant my feet as well! Maybe I'll get a good start chasing the bulls in a couple of weeks!

Oh don't get me wrong...I don't catch em if they run downstream like your's did. I just concede the victory to them :rolleyes:

The funny thing is that in the moment, I didn't realize how fast you ran, or how far you went downstream. Only after watching the tape at home did I see how much work it was for you.

Also, you landed and released the fish just fine. It might have touched the rocks, but they were in the water, plus I can attest to the amount of care you took in the release to make sure it was okay. It was also around 6 am and I don't know about you, but I was still a little groggy.

It definitely looks a lot brighter out than it was. You will see in the video that Rick still has his headlamp on for tying on his flies.

I can't wait to see you chase a +10 pound Bull Trout Downstream. :lol:

What is it like out there at 5am.? Another Rick.

Early! I recommend coffee, and lots of it. I also recommend bringing an experienced fisherman who just watches and advises. Makes catching easier!

Brett,

Thanks for the comments on the landing. When I was landing the fish, I actually eyeballed the exact area I wanted to pull him into as it was a bit deeper. I was very surprised by how it looked on video, and understand Brent's comment about the net. But I think it looks way worse than it was. At the time, I didn't think it really hit the rocks, but after seeing the vid, I may be wrong. Its funny because I was very aware that I was fishing with the guy who wrote the article on how to catch and release a fish. I was actually going at the fish pretty hard once I got him into the quiet water to get it in quickly.

Also, for the rest of the novices out there: I have fished with some really good fishermen in the last year. The one constant among all of them is they all spend time just looking at the water before they just dive in and start casting. And they all look for bugs. I hope I can l learn from that in my zeal to get on the water.

There is nothing better for building patience than Fly Fishing IMO. Some people are born with it and some need to develope it.

I'd rather catch a difficult fish in shallow clear water than blind casting all day to catch the same number of fish.

Also, I get as much enjoyment out of watching someone else catch fish. I've fished long enough and plan on fishing until I am physically unable to do so.

Here's the reward for taking some time. This is one of the fish I caught later that morning.

I spotted him feeding in shallow water along the bank and sat down and watched for a bit. I noticed him cruising in a circle in the dead still water and after the fifth run thru, I set up a plan of attack.

I removed my indicator and tied on a Pupa because that is what I had seen in the water and assumed he was feeding on them as they tried to get to shore.

I waited for him to make his turn and cast out, letting the fly sit on the bottom. Like clockwork, he made his return and I began to slowly move the fly. He spotted it instantly and raced up and took it. Too much fun.

Here he is feeding. Notice he is head down, tail up.

aug20030.jpgsharpened.jpg

Here he is after losing the battle

aug20032.jpg

Here is he is smiling for the camera because he knows he is going back home...

aug20033.jpg

Great video fellas - that was fun to watch, although the tunes leave ya a little worried about how it ends LOL

Great point on the whole watching and patience thing - I've been hitting a great little pond all week with mega-colourful brookies in it, key to catching fish there is sitting and watching, pond has two working beavers living in it which completely affect the feeding/movement pattern of the fish. because the pond is shallow,clear, and the fish are very line shy predicting their pattern of movement relative to the movements of the beavers allows me to have a fly waiting for them when they arrive - using the spey technique is really proving usefull here as I am presenting the fly in front of the fish twice as often as I would if I was backcasting and redirecting. (with my 5wt 1 hander).

It has taken me years to really appreciate that it takes more than 30-60 seconds to properly read whats going on