Fly Fusion Forums

Soccer

Guest Sundancefisher

Guest Sundancefisher

I just tried watching a soccer game in South Africa. I am not sure what was harder to stomach... The boredom associated with kicking the ball back and forth...back and forth...back and forth...back and forth...back and forth... or the constant humming of those dam noise makers. Certainly in this day and age they can isolate that frequency and remove it totally from the broadcast. What a dumb way to make crowd noise. Is it an African thing or a soccer thing using them humming things? Or is there a massive locust swarm approaching the stadium?

Boooorrrrring!

My biggest pet peeve with these 'football' players is their need to fall down on the ground every time an opposing foot touches them at all! You'd swear someone just blew their leg off with a shotgun, and then when the ref doesn't do anything.. they hop right up and get back in the play! I mean, come on!!

part of the game

It shouldn't be.................an instant red card for a dive in the box would take care of it, along with more yellows everywhere else.................international soccer is the worst for divin'.................the english league is about the hardyest and thats sayin something................will the hardyest that still has the quality of world class soccer.

The commentator made this call during the Par/Itaty game yesterday................."If your wearing blue, (Italy) get down, theres a sniper in the stands"

For me, it comes down to the following choice. Watch an indicator for hours on end, waiting for it to go down, or watch a soccer game waiting for perhaps a single goal. The choice is easy. Guess what I'm doing today. :lol: Terry

I just tried watching a soccer game in South Africa. I am not sure what was harder to stomach... The boredom associated with kicking the ball back and forth...back and forth...back and forth...back and forth...back and forth... or the constant humming of those dam noise makers. Certainly in this day and age they can isolate that frequency and remove it totally from the broadcast. What a dumb way to make crowd noise. Is it an African thing or a soccer thing using them humming things? Or is there a massive locust swarm approaching the stadium?

I believe there is a bus load of English Soccer Hooligans heading to Lake Sundance to discuss your opinion of their game. Good Luck!!

Regards Mike

At least add a no over/back rule like basketball...but I like Terry's plan...alas while I can see the river from my office can't get on it today. But at least our company condones limited soccer viewing via live streaming. Just imagine should Canada ever qualify again, let a alone score a GOALLLLLLLLLLLLLL!

i love world cup...not all the teams or games are top shelf but you get to see all the big names playing thier guts out for thier respective countries.

simply awesome.

but i also get how it's not as popular as nascar.

or bowling.

or poker.

or billiards.

or the akc dog show.

yeah, tough for football to compete with that...

Nice one Terry

I was worried the irony of this thread was going to go un-noticed

According to my missus, watching me fly fish is a close third right behind watching grass grow and waiting for paint to dry. She literally respopnds to every fish caught by asking if "we can go now" - I can just see a guy in a fishing vest telling that gang in the Green Street Hooligans that they should try something a little more exciting like flyfishing LOL

I watched about 10 minutes last night and almost saw a goal scored. I thought they only happened on highlight reels.

The rest of you can forget about the lottery now - I'm hot.

Get rid of offside and if someone goes down than they're off the field - open up some scoring and bench the sissies.

From the Vancouver Sun:

Croatian football player Goran Tunjic had a heart attack, collapsed on the field and died in the 35th minute of a match for Mladost FC against Hrvatski Sokol this weekend. One might think that would have been his final indignity.

Alas, no. Tunjic was given a yellow card for diving ... as he lay dying.

Paramedics tried to revive the 32-year-old part-time soccer player once the referee realized the player wasn't faking it, but by then the damage was done.

"It was 35th minute of the match when we've simply noticed he has fallen down," a club official told reporters. "Doctors have tried to help him, but there was nothing they could do."

"He just fell dead on the spot."

From what I've heard, this may have the effect of lessening the amount of diving, so that the ref's will take an injured player more seriously.

As to soccer, never been my cup of tea, but I do recognize that it is the worlds most popular game and is loaded with some of the best athletes in the world. I do watch a few world cup games every year and every year I see things that take my breath away.

Just watching it takes my breath away.

How those guys can run up and down the length of that field for 90 minutes straight is beyond me. It's no wonder that dude died of a heart attack.

Soccer is boring, the the players have my respect as athletes.

Interesting...... Your perception of the "World Game". Isn't the passion we share here on this forum a series of back and forth..... back and forth..... back and forth? Have you ever spent a day on the river and yeilded not a fish? And for many of us 90 mins would hardly count as a day of fishing. For those who are passionate about the game of Football, it is about what happens in between the goals if any. As I'm sure, all here (this fourm) would atest to..... fly fishing is more about what happens in between the fish to hand, if any.

My 2 cents

Boooorrrrring!

My biggest pet peeve with these 'football' players is their need to fall down on the ground every time an opposing foot touches them at all! You'd swear someone just blew their leg off with a shotgun, and then when the ref doesn't do anything.. they hop right up and get back in the play! I mean, come on!!

I ve been playing soccer all my life and you have to do that. It s the most dangerous sport I know. You can easily broke your leg just because you play without any kind of protection (except shin pad).

Playing other contact sport (except rugby), there is so many protection that you just can focus on your move.

In football, you have to trust the others to play by the rules...Otherwise, that can happen :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_BMRyp4QYM

So when you think someone is doing something dangerous, you "dive" to show to the ref that the guy is playing dirty, and that it s dangerous.

A french player broke twice a leg (2 or 3 years inbetwen). He is playing the worl cup (sub) : Cisse is his name.

It can be boring, like Hockey if the game is not a great one.

And I think you have to play to get it. At the begining, I didn t like hockey at all (seemed a stupid game with bulls kikcing each others). Since a couple of years, I actually play with friends and it s a great game. I love it and I like to wattch game.

As aothers said : my 2 cents...(but at least, I know what I am talking about)

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. I love watching the world cup. There's just something about it seeing all the world come together to play a sport they're all crazy about. The skill involved in everything they do is out of this world. To say it's boring to watch can only be taken for as much as your word is worth - it's far more popular than any other sport in this world so I would guess others don't agree.

Every sport is like that. I hate watching hockey, it's just back and forth back and forth and when a team wants to give up on defense they can just throw the puck down the other side of the rink all game. Obv lots of Canadians love watching hockey. I hate tennis, it's just two people hitting it back and forth back and forth, messing up once in a while for a point. Lots of people like watching tennis. Baseball, golf, nascar etc etc its all boring unless you know the game and usually if you've played the game and understand the game. Otherwise sports are boring as anything. You have to have an interest for whatever reason. I wouldn't say soccer is more boring than other sport though...

Guest Sundancefisher
Interesting...... Your perception of the "World Game". Isn't the passion we share here on this forum a series of back and forth..... back and forth..... back and forth? Have you ever spent a day on the river and yeilded not a fish? And for many of us 90 mins would hardly count as a day of fishing. For those who are passionate about the game of Football, it is about what happens in between the goals if any. As I'm sure, all here (this fourm) would atest to..... fly fishing is more about what happens in between the fish to hand, if any.

My 2 cents

Give me 3 minutes of high lights... The rest...is boring. Give me day after day of only 1 fish or 1 goal...boring. Nobody would fish year after year if they either get nothing or one fish. Eventually you find something either you are better at or less boring to fill the time.

Yes...soccer is like beer... You could develop a taste for it... but...why suffer the buzzing noise in your head :$*%&:

Just like any other televised sport?

With you there...

I have had seasons ticket for the Roughnecks for the last 4-5 years. I absolutely love the game, it is fast, lots of action, great atmosphere and exciting for the fans. I think it is more exciting to watch than hockey....LIVE

TV is another story, Lacrosse is just not a TV sport. You lose too much watching it on TV, I think soccer is probably very similar. I have never been to a true world class match but I am sure the atmosphere of 100 000 people roaring, chanting and carrying on would make up for lull's in the action on the pitch.

JMHO

Guest frypan
Give me 3 minutes of high lights... The rest...is boring. Give me day after day of only 1 fish or 1 goal...boring. Nobody would fish year after year if they either get nothing or one fish. Eventually you find something either you are better at or less boring to fill the time.

Yes...soccer is like beer... You could develop a taste for it... but...why suffer the buzzing noise in your head :$*%&:

sounds like trying to read trough your posts ha ha ha

Guest Sundancefisher
sounds like trying to read trough your posts ha ha ha

LOL

Just wait for the highlight reel. :wave_smile:

I guess I would love it if more people watched soccer and fewer people fished... That woudl be sweet.