Fly Fusion Forums

River Etiquette

tgo

Hey pros, I've been fishing the Bow for years and never had problems with other (fly)fisherman like mkm and I had last light. After crowding-out another dude and forcing him to leave (swearing) back to his car, these three inconsiderate fisherman saw that I had just released a brown and decided they wanted in on the action. Two went 30 feet upsteam of me and spooked the rising fish I was casting to, and the other completed the sandwich by fishing exactly where I had just netted the last fish I had caught. This was the second time last night someone tried fishing within a short cast from me. I calmly confronted the women who seemed to be the instigator of the whole "oh, lets fish where he's fishing." She proceeded to tell me I didn't know what I was talking about and totally refused to listen to my case. This one was a real treat I'll tell ya. Anyways, I was just wondering what you guys do when people crowd you. Usually I'd just leave, but there were fish rising and I was running out of time before I had to leave. Plus we had already seen this beotch and her friends force someone else packing. If they would have asked if they could fish the run with me I would have probably agreed, but they just acted like complete morons. What's the safe distance? I usually give at least fifity yards, most the time even more.

Hey pros, I've been fishing the Bow for years and never had problems with other (fly)fisherman like mkm and I had last light. After crowding-out another dude and forcing him to leave (swearing) back to his car, these three inconsiderate fisherman saw that I had just released a brown and decided they wanted in on the action. Two went 30 feet upsteam of me and spooked the rising fish I was casting to, and the other completed the sandwich by fishing exactly where I had just netted the last fish I had caught. This was the second time last night someone tried fishing within a short cast from me. I calmly confronted the women who seemed to be the instigator of the whole "oh, lets fish where he's fishing." She proceeded to tell me I didn't know what I was talking about and totally refused to listen to my case. This one was a real treat I'll tell ya. Anyways, I was just wondering what you guys do when people crowd you. Usually I'd just leave, but there were fish rising and I was running out of time before I had to leave. Plus we had already seen this beotch and her friends force someone else packing. If they would have asked if they could fish the run with me I would have probably agreed, but they just acted like complete morons. What's the safe distance? I usually give at least fifity yards, most the time even more.

It has happened to me several times this year. I normally just move on. I have found that by watching the people afterwards they seldom do very well anyway. I often take the opportunity to sit and watch for a while. Twice this year I waited till people moved on then took a couple of trout from the pool, once when they where still in sight.

I've learned over the years that some people are just not nice. To others or to themselves. It's they're problem not mine. I prefer the company of those who care. Move on upstream, smell the flowers, relax, unwind, look at the clouds, watch the trout and count your blessings. You are able to be part of a fly fishing fraternity who understand the unwritten rules of the water and those who enjoy it.

Guest bigbadbrent

Step 1. Pull out the biggest, ugliest, heaviest (that is very very key) streamer you have

step 2. Add split shot a foot above the fly, and attached to the eye, 2 or 3 will do.

step 3. Chuck and duck, but change ur angles so it's skimming them

Step 3b. Continue as above, but instead of skimming them, start slamming the water every where u can get a cast to, just TRASH the *hit out of it..then ask them what they're using, and smirk when they reply, adding that "only this catch's fish"

step 4. Repeat step 3

step 5. relax in solitude

though i have never got this past step 3, before i hit myself..i plan to have this setup ready to go for the next guide that feels like swinging through my water...hehehe

It seems like the guys in the drift boats have a different set of rules. I was down at fish creek 2 nights ago and around 8:30-9:00 when they were all coming into the dock i was up around the corner not even near the launch and i had a stream of 6-7 boats float right into my spot and if they didn't drift through it they cast into it. One guy put his line about 2 feet from mine. If these peaple are new to the sport which i'm sure some of them are, what kind of lesson is that guide teaching them about etiquette if thats where he puts them when someone else is fishing.

Guest bigbadbrent

that's 100% on the guide (or whoever is paddling the boat)....those guy's i dont hesitate to tell them to take a hike...say no, then start chuckin streamers at them

that's 100% on the guide (or whoever is paddling the boat)....those guy's i dont hesitate to tell them to take a hike...say no, then start chuckin streamers at them

sounds like we would get along just fine. I actually floated to close to one in a raft thats a little harder to move that a drift boat and the guy yelled a me till i was down river enough that i could not hear him. " HEY I'M TRYING TO MAKE A LIVING HERE" what a jerk

sounds like we would get along just fine. I actually floated to close to one in a raft thats a little harder to move that a drift boat and the guy yelled a me till i was down river enough that i could not hear him. " HEY I'M TRYING TO MAKE A LIVING HERE" what a jerk

I'd say "yeah? well if you only know this ONE spot.. you're going to be starving soon!"

A few weeks ago I was with a buddy who I am trying to show how to fly fish. I know of a spot where you can cast from a couple feet above the water (he has no waders yet) and with alot of space behind for the back cast. I saw a guy fly fishing a nice little run about 50 meters below were I wanted to go. We would be in no way infringing on his run and actually mostly out of sight of him. I asked if he was fishing up stream or down (so I could be sure not to be in his way) and his answer was "why do you want to know?" I said I wanted to fish the run above him but if he was headed that way I would go below...his reply was like he owned the river and, with a little disgust, he "allowed" us to fish above him. What a jerk. I really hope fly fishers try live up to the higher standard. We all want it to ourselves, I know, but it's not possible. When I see another fly flinger I hope for polite conversation and respect.

I've done some pretty reactive things in my past as I just don't have the patience for rudeness.

But the most fun response I've enjoyed is to walk up, and in one motion, step on one of their feet with one of yours and push them in the water (you have to know how to do this so you don't mess it up - you can do it with one hand and even a 250lb man will have to fall as you use his chest against him). They come up sputtering and pretty cooled off most of the time. Moreover, they always wind up leaving and hurling insults at you which leaves you in solitude.

I wouldn't advocate that for everyone of course. And you take inherent risks in doing so.

(I didn't get the name Grizz for nuthin... but I am way to old to be doing that now)

I'm with Silverdoctor. Pretty much exactly the same thing I do whenever I meet a jackass while fishing. Why allow an "ahole" ruin your day out there. Life's too short to let stupid things and people get in the way of enjoying it. During my first year of flyfishing I was in a secluded spot on the Red Deer casting to a rising brown, not a soul around, just me and my fish. Suddenly out of nowhere three idiots come by floating by, as they notice me casting to this fish, one of them says "there's one", they drop anchor and begin chucking their rapalas to "my" fish. Astonished I stood there staring at them, one of the aholes obviously noticing my anger said to me: "its free country" and continued chucking his nuts and bolts to my fish. I smiled and muttered sum like "yeap, I guess it is a free country, otherwise aholes like you would not be allowed out here". I waded back to the bank, lit my pipe and sat down, they stayed casting to the fish, which by now was no longer rising, ten minutes later after not getting a hit from the fish, they pulled up anchor and continued floating, a couple of minutes later the fish rose again, I went back in the water and within three casts I caught it, still within view, they saw me hook and land a beautiful brown. Oh how sweet that was, I just smiled as the jackasses kept floating downstream. The only regret I have is making that comment when they started casting to my fish, as doing so displayed my frustration for them to enjoy. Since that incident, whenever I encounter a similar situation, I just reel in, not say a word and sit down and laugh as they make complete asses out of themselves, if they stay for an extended period of time, I simply move on.

Saltamontes

Thanks for your opinions on this matter, I usually don't say anything and just give them the water I'm fishing but this night I had just had enough. I was seriously ready to fight (not the crazy woman of course), which is really sad I guess. I like your strategy Brent, I think I'll try it next time, unless it's a raft full of hotties then I can forgive them.

now i don't want to sound hypocritical here as i have done my share of retaliating to jerks in the past (after they make it serious) but after talking with some of the "elders" in the sport, the questions i have here are : 1) why lower yourself to their level? and 2) why take actions that might stereotype fly fishers as pompous and arrogant?...not everyone's gonna like everyone else out there, especially with Alberta's population boom but we can't fish with the mentality of sabotaging or injuring each other just cuz some people are assholes...like i said, i've had a couple of bad run ins this year and i'm not one to talk but at least i'm trying to change so i don't get stereotyped as ignorant and arrogant myself...just my two cents there... :)

Just walk through the hole they are fishing on your way upstream. :)

I tend not to fish "crowded waters". If there are people around, there are enough spots without anyone around. Like it's been said, do a bit of walking and you're going to be alone for the most part.

I usually don't fish "crowded waters" either, but sometimes you don't have time to hike for two hours. Almost every trip I've made this year has been to obscure, far-off places where most people are too lazy to reach. If I get somewhere and see cars then I move on, but if I get there first and some douchenozzle crowds me then that's a different story. Then it's on, beotch. :lol:

I think we need to remain respectfull to all river users, including other fisherman. However, people need to back off and give each other a little space. There's usually lots of water to wet your line and no need to crowd anyone. If someones already at the "sweet spot" or your favorite run, too bad, move on. If someone crowds me, I tell them they are too close and to give me a bit of room. Most important, is to communicate with each other and be friendly.

I personally will never allow myself to be run off any water that I am fishing. So, don't crowd the Toolman...

This has happened to me so many times this year already.

i have had a few bad run ins that end in me yelling at them telling people to get the hell away from me.

but most of the time people are decent and they will respect your space once told.

one time i had a raft actually hit me! i was also fishing a streamer ;)

lets just say they were not happy and i raised alot of *hit lol

I think we need to remain repectfull to all river users, including other fisherman. However, people need to back off and give each other a little space. There's usually lots of water to wet your line and no need to crowd anyone. If someones already at the "sweet spot" or your favorite run, too bad, move on. If someone crowds me, I tell them they are too close and to give me a bit of room. Most important, is to communicate with each other and be friendly.

I personally will never allow myself to be run off any water that I am fishing. So, don't crowd the Toolman...

*In his best Rip Torn voice* "If you can dodge a WRENCH.. you can dodge a FLY!!" :P

As I was the other half to tgo's fishing party I should probably get my two cents in. Tgo was the person who tought me to fly-fish and most importantly tought me about respecting others while on the river. Last night was the first time I have ever seen him say a word and had it been me I probably would have found a few more catch phrases for this women. The mouth on this women will without a doubt echo in some other members ears this season. In the minutes after the incident I was brainstorming 'how to teach this women a lesson'. However, I don't need a criminal record and will possibly come across her and her friends one day and would hate to be alone (she could take on a rhino). However, had it not been dark I planned to take a picture of her. Who knows what I would have done with it (maybe post it) but I'm sure it would have been enough to keep her out of the area for a bit.

I don't how much more I can take of the rivers south of Calgary being closed. The fishing pressure is just being relocated to the Bow.

mkm

Just to be clear....I was home on the night in question with these "women" (and I use the term loosely after what I read :unsure: ) decided to be ignorant and crowd you out :lol:

Here's what I've learned over 7 years of floating the river. It used to be a big river - plenty of room for all. Used to be. Now with the affordability and inherent popularity of pontoon boats, increased #'s of canoer's, kayakers and all sorts of pleasure rafters, it's become nothing shy of a gong show on the weekend (hence why I sit here and type instead of being out fishing). The last 2 or 3 years have seen us get into some situations where we're gonna piss somebody off by either crashing through their raft party or floating through someone's water to avoid another boat/canoe etc. We go out of our way to avoid getting in anyone's way or offending anyone, but sometimes just because of sheer traffic, currents, etc. it just happens. And we're always very apologetic and let someone know if we have no other choice but to take the course we are. That being said, I have absolutely no tolerance for someone who does not observe etiquette on the rivers now. You just can't afford not to have any. If I was fishing a run and somebody encroached on my space, I'd step back from the river, approach the person as if they didn't know what the "rules" were and explain it to them in a calm, mature manner. I'd tell them that they are free to fish the water I am when I leave and, in the meantime I'd appreciate if they would afford me the courtesy of having my space. Now...let's face it. Perfect world. I'm a woman....one of 2 things is gonna happen....they're either gonna back off and call me a bitch as they walk away or they're gonna call me a bitch to my face and tell me to eff off. Probably the latter. But, the way I see it there's no sense losing your cool and it always pays to give somebody the benefit of the doubt about their lack of knowledge and trying to educate them. If that fails (and it probably mostly will) then just walk away. I refuse to stoop to that level and turn my relaxation time into someting that's fraught with frustration and anger. If that's the case, I'd rather not be out there. Again, why I sit here now instead of being out there.

Oh ya....I believe strongly in kharma ;)

Well first off I am usually not the type of person to fish where there are lots of people around and if anyone invades my water...... I will usually just keep moving until I find some more good water......

But if you are hell bent on fishing that spot you know what people can't stand...... just walk right up to where they are right beside em and start talking...... non stop..... talk to them about gear, bait chuckers, president bush, the weather, try to throw in some super geekish impersonations or accents, Just make sure to be rediculously friendly and try to stand were ever you can to be the most in the way...... accidently kick over their tackle boxes appologize profusely while tossing stuff back in with no regard to organization....... have some fun with it make *hit up tell em a swedish pimple on a 3 foot leader of 20lb mono with a 3 way snapp swivel and a 2 ounce lead sinker is key for browns or that the capital city of mongolia is swansing city in the north which is a common misconception as people usually think it is Hoising in the south which though it is the center of commerce the actual parliament is in swansing....... If they move to get away from you just keep following them........ try to land their fish if they hook any and if possible get a hold of their rod and proceed to tangle it as best as humanly possible........ Inconsiderate people hate friendly people especially stupid firendly people. That and even if it doesn't work it can be just about as fun as fishing. Make a game out of it........ worst case scenario just toss on a double streamer rig and proceed to "unwittingly" and repeatedly hook their line...... everytime it happens whoop like you have a fish on and sprint up the bank stripping line like a mad man trying to keep the line tight....... Once its obvious that its their line appologize profusely unhook their lure or fly or what ever and if convenient drop it in a bush. Lather rinse and repeat....... sooner or later they will get pissed off and either get mad at you or leave...... keep right on smiling like you are oblivious to their rage. If they start screaming just remind em in as jubilant and happy a voice as possible that "I'm a total rookie and it might be tough to get any real fishing done around me"

warning sooner or later you may get punched

If you have a fishing partner with you you can also try the school girl routine very simple actually point, whisper, and giggle....... it doesn't just drive teenage boys nuts

Lonefisher, you just gave me a hell of an idea. My wife who enjoys fishing with me was born in the Dominican Republic and was raised in Puerto Rico. She is both fluent in Spanish and English and is in no way embarrased about anything she says or does in public. I have taught her well about angling etiqutte, so next time I have an encounter with an inconsiderate fisherman, I'll turn her loose on him/her. The only problem is that I probably won't be able to keep myself from falling over laughing.