Fly Fusion Forums

River Etiquette

tgo

the mayor In Hoising is just a puppet the real power comes from the matriarchy in swansing...... though the empress still spends most of her time in a mtn village on mount kaipan the highest peak in mongolia..... so the decisions literally do come from the top ;)

I believe there are a certain % of people who walk this earth who have a higher level of conciousness than most of the population out there. One of my favourite pieces of philosophy is that "Common sense is not so common". With the rapid gain of popularity of our sport and increasing population, our rivers are getting busier and there are going to be some not so bright or polite individuals that we will have interactions with. We can only hope that through education and experience these types of encounters will be limited. I think the wisdom of the Silver doctor is definately the best. Someone Spooks your hole, The fish will be back in a short time, another day even, another year. Hell Ive spooked a big brown this year only to return and catch him a week later in the exact same location.

Easier said than done though, Its tough not to get dragged into some "conversation" with a mouthpiece, Im no angel either.

I've never really had any problems. (knock wood)

But fish to enjoy the solitude and quiet (ok, semi quiet when fishing in town.)

So I tend to avoid anyone I might see, I'll just keep walking for another 5 or 10 minutes.

If there is some close by I'll go talk to them and see if they mind if I fish this way or that.

I've never had anyone get snotty or tell me no.

That said I am usually in some sort of camo, have a hunting knife hanging off my chest strap and depending on where I am a jug of pepper spray on my hip. So that may have a little bit to do with why people are so polite. <_<

I have on occasion floated through someone's run by accident. Between paddling, fishing, getting the damn line untangled from my flippers.... or whatever, I just didn't see them until it was too late.

In that case I apologize profusely and that seems to work out ok.

They may be muttering something after but I can't hear it so it's all good to me....

I have fished the northwest I think 7 days of the past 10. How many fishermen have I seen? Two. How many have I had to avoid while I hiked upstream? One. Spread out people! There's great water west of the city too. Not everyone of us has to go to Fish Creek. I don't catch as many large fish as I do downstream of the weir, but I catch a few, without having anyone crowd me out. That being said, I will eventually run into a jerkoff who just HAS to fish ten feet from me, and when that happens I'll find the next hole upstream, maybe smoke one to cool me off, and hopefully show him up with a nice trout to hand.

Best revenge is to just walk over to where the jerk just came from, catch a fish, smile sweetly as you release it and say "It's the fisherman and not the spot". I've only been able to pull it off a few times, but my what a feeling. However, I've been on the Bow about 10 days this month, and only had to avoid one jerk. A little walking took care of him.

I have fished the northwest I think 7 days of the past 10. How many fishermen have I seen? Two. How many have I had to avoid while I hiked upstream? One. Spread out people! There's great water west of the city too. Not everyone of us has to go to Fish Creek. I don't catch as many large fish as I do downstream of the weir, but I catch a few, without having anyone crowd me out. That being said, I will eventually run into a jerkoff who just HAS to fish ten feet from me, and when that happens I'll find the next hole upstream, maybe smoke one to cool me off, and hopefully show him up with a nice trout to hand.

Grannyknot,

You should not smoke!

I've been fishing below the city mostly. I've been in Fish Creek a bit, but always below the boat launch this summer. I have had a total of maybe 3 people in areas I wanted to fish and 2 times I knew 'em, which made them easy to kick out! Actually, the only time it was any problem at all was downstream of McKinnons I had a group walk past me and my buddy and start fishing the run directly downstream of us. Changed plans and adapted. Seems like lots of water around to me.