Fly Fusion Forums

Hook Box

flytyer101

Hi all,

Ive had this problem for a while now . When I first started organizing myy stuff I took all the hooks out and put them in a plano box with labels. After a while I realized that all my smaller hooks seamed to migrate around. So I put alll my hooks back into little bags with labels and put them in the plano. Im finding it's a pain to have all the hooks in bag too. I just bought some littler box with build in perminate dividers , with a ridge on the top to divde the top so they cant slide over the divider for my beads. I need one for my hooks that is bigger and provides me with a good seal with no gaps for the hooks to move. Any suggestion?

post-2192-1272256641.jpg

post-2192-1272256722.jpg

something along the line of this. This one hold 20 Im hoping for 40-60 slots . And around 14x9"

Thanks,

Terrance

I had this problem to and still wanted to use plano style boxes. I just epoxied my dividers in on the bottom. Worked like a charm. I also found if my box ended up sideways they could go over the top. I cut a sheet of dollar store foam and glued it to the top lid. It does take some work but I am happy with the result

I got my boxes from wally world.The plastic organizers have 35 slots.For the hooks i epoxied the dividers to stop the hooks from dividing.I also took the same boxes and drilled 1/4 inch holes in all the lid compartments.Filled 2 of these puppies with dubbing.Another 2 boxes have the beads and cones and whatnot.If you want to travel you grab 5 boxes and go!Think they run about $4 each.

I just use the round tube cylinder like plastic containers fron the dollar store, all the containers stack up and screw together. Theres two sizes one for small dry fly hooks and beads etc and onother bigger one for streamer hooks and such. each section can be divided in half easily enough and labelled easily. Deff no hook migration

I may also try Wanny's idea of keeping the plano case that goes with my box and using epoxy to keep the in place, but I dont want to put the foam as it makes the case non-seethough. I would us the adhesive magnet idea too. Just need to find something to keep em from going over the top. Keep them ideas coming.

thanks all

I also use the watchmakers case. I have the 1"dia and 2"dia which hold all of my hooks.

How many of us have an abundance of hooks over 2" long?

I prefer these to anything else I've tried. If I had several sizes of hooks over 2" long, I'd put them in a Plano type box.

I like the fact that you only have to have 1 small container open on the bench.

I also use the 1"dia for my beads.

Just my $.02

BK

When I started tying a very long time ago, I used until 2002 2 inch tall Tupperware tubs – they look like the containers that plants come in.

I kept them in a larger Tupperware container – no more room for any other tubs. They were best for 100 streamer hooks in size 8-10-12-14, 4X/6X. For anything else, the tub was too big but this was not a problem.

In 2002 I taught a lady friend how to tie flies. I bought some Mustad hooks – 1XL and 2XL, #9671 – in packs of 50. I contacted a lady from Tupperware to buy more tubs but found out that each tub cost too much.

And then I found something that is perfect for hooks – “Pocket Micro Tackle Box” with 6 compartments and covers. These Micro boxes are only – 3 ½” x 2 ¼” x ¾” - see PIC of 3 boxes. The 1st 2 are the Micro boxes. The 2nd shows 3 covers that are open.

These are perfect for just about everything except for streamer and 1XL/2XL/3XL hooks.

I have yet to see any hooks migrate from 1 compartment to another – and this includes dry fly hooks size 26. I do not know what would happen with #28, 29, 30 hooks. Recently I have purchased a supply of the tiny hooks - #28/29/30 and so I will check.

The 3rd box is the same size as the Micro but each compartment is larger because it does not have a curved edge for taking hooks out. Also, the 2nd box is closed by only 1 cover and it is made by Plano.

For streamer hooks, I found a small Plano box with 8 compartments but big enough for 100 streamer hooks.

Yesterday I bought 10 more Micro boxes because I have only 5 empty ones left. Now I can store the new hooks that I bought in December.

I can see at least several positives about the Micro and the tiny Plano boxes.

So far I have not seen any migrations from one compartment to another. Each compartment is covered by a separate cover. I am not putting all of my eggs into a hook box of 30 compartments.

And the best thing is the very small size of the box. And I do not have at least 90% of the compartment volume area - empty. Size 26 and smaller hooks do not need much space. When I tie, I need one hook based on style, size and who the maker is and so I will pull out 1 tiny box with 6 compartments – not a box of 30 compartments.

All of my hook boxes are stored in one #3731 Plano box which has only 1 compartment and the size is only 14” by 8 ½” by 3 ¼”.

So this is what I use and this is what I find best for me.

Thank you for reading and I am sorry that this post is long.

marchbrownn

HookBoxes.jpg

I got plastic boxes from Gregg Distributors, plastic, 24 compartments, 2"x2" with a curved bottom for easy hook retreval. I got 5 which I divide up into like hooks, streamers, nymphs, etc. Price was right also.

Where can I purchase the micros?

I am aware of only one place that sells the “Pocket Micro Tackle Box”.

The shop is:

Angling Specialties in Mississauga

325 Central Parkway West

Mississauga, ON L5B 3X9

Phone: (905) 275-4972

NO WEB SITE

In my previous post above, I have stated - “perfect for just about everything except for streamer and 1XL/2XL/3XL hooks.”

So far I have used the tiny Plano boxes for 1XL/2XL/3XL wet/nymph hooks.

But I have found a Wapsi box that is better for the 3XL and etc hooks. I found a box that is larger than the Micro (I was not aware that I had it) and it has 6 compartments with each having a cover. This one is perfect for the 1XL/2XL/3XL wet/nymph hooks. I bought the Wapsi several weeks ago locally. This box is perfect for the hooks that will not fit the Micro.

Each compartment can hold 50 Mustad hooks, size 8, #9672, 3XL and it can probably hold 100 hooks.

Pocket Micro Tackle Box

HT Enterprises – Campbellsport, WI

http://www.fishusa.com/HT-Enterprises-6-Co...le-Boxes_p.html

model TBM-6

Compartments are 1” by 1”

Box is 3 ½” x 2 ¼” x ¾”

Cost - $2.79 Cost in 2002 - $2.75 Cost in USA - $1.45 USD

Wapsi

http://www.wapsifly.com/pdffiles/wap/page%2074.pdf

Model – FBE26

Compartments are 1 1/8” by 1 1/8”

Box is 4 ¼” by 2 5/8” by 1 1/4”

Cost - $2.99

It is impossible to have any hooks migrate from 1 compartment to another. The reason is that each compartment has its own cover. Once you cover a compartment, the hooks stay in that compartment. The compartments are also separated from each other because of the covers.

You should be able to buy Wapsi from a dealer that sells Wapsi. You will probably have more difficulties in getting the Micro.

Should you have any problems getting the Micro or Wapsi, maybe I could help you. Post or send me a PM and I will see what can be done.

I will no longer use the tiny Plano boxes – the Wapsi box is better.

Good luck.

marchbrownn

EDIT

Added the following ............

There is nothing to "fix" on the Micro or Wapsi boxes. They will do what is required. They are ready to get filled up with hooks. They will do what you want them to do without any fixes

• 4 weeks later...

This thread has been around for a while, but I just read it for the first time so I'll add my $0.02.

Michaels craft store (http://www.michaels.com) has some great boxes (in the beading/jewlery department) that can be used for hooks.

Here is one example: http://www.michaels.com/art/online/display...oductNum=bd0767

If you sign up for the Michaels email list, you'll get a coupon for 40% off a regularly priced item (find this on the home page, in the bottom left corner). In addition to that first 40% off coupon, you'll receive future coupons (some are 40% of any regularly priced item, as well).