Fly Fusion Forums

Colts Or Saints?

After reading your artical Mark, I really hope the Saints Lose.

As a coach and a long time player I find it discusting that a coach would teach his players to try and take out a another player. Don;t get me wrong we teach to hit hard and make a impact but I have never taught a player to go out and intentally hurt another player, possible endding his career.

But here is how I see it. Colts will win purly because of experince. Sure the Saints have a good Defence but they lack the experince needed to play in the big game. Once Manning played in his first Superbowel he gained alot of experince.

It should be an intresting game and I am hoping it will be exciting but hey it is the Superbowel and its been a long time since I was sitting on the edge of the chair watching the game.

Anyone holding a Superbowl party?

It is just part of the hype bhurt, the Saints took it easy on Favre for how often they hit the old guy, over 15 times I believe?

We have a big Superbowl Party; have for the past 20 years. Gets bigger each year.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

24-17!

Looks like a last team with the ball wins sorta game.

Like I said, Indy cannot stop NO. The converse is true as well, but to me, NO just looks more dangerous.

And did anyone notice that the Olympics are starting on Friday on Ceeeeeee Teeeeee VEEEEEEEEEEE?!?

Reggie Wayne should have caught that.

Good for the city of New Orleans. If anyone ever wants to go to a party, now would be the time.

Dank--hope you are still reading the site from time to time. Get back to NO and have some fun buddy!

Two drops and this would have been a different, at least closer, game. Pierre Garcon in the 1st half to stop a drive and Wayne at the end of the game. New Orleans played a GREAT football game. Aggressive play calling, no mistakes. Peyton made one mistake, and the two drops. All it took in this one. Like I said way back when, Indy hadn't faced an offense like the Saints'. I'm sure Brees will be MVP. He deserves it.

Man, I want to go my second home right now!

I have been a Saints fan since '86 and that was one heck of a football game. An on-side kick to start the second half and they get it?! AWESOME!!! What a ballsy call. That 2 point convert was huge as well... but the pick by Porter to kill the Colts was great. GO SAINTS GO!!!!!!!! WHO DAT!

An on-side kick to start the second half and they get it?! AWESOME!!! What a ballsy call.

Funny thing about plays like that is if they hadn't recovered it and the Colts won a lot of people in NO would be calling for Payton's head. Kind of like when Bellichik went for it on 4th down against the Colts.

Well....

I'm not completely sure NO looses the game even if they don't recover that kick. I will certainly say Payton coached to win. Not that Indy coached a bad game either. But after the first quarter, Indy was outscored 31-7. In the end, NO just flat outplayed Indy.

And I think Bellichik made the right call against Indy. To me, the only way for the Pat's to win that game was to get the first down. Too much time for Payton and the ball.

I didn't mean that would've cost NO the game, but rather if they didn't recover and also lost the game. I agree that Belichik made the right call and if NE had won that game everyone calling for his head would've been calling him a genius instead. Same goes for Payton in this case. Rabid fans are funny that way.

Here is my take on the game.

It looked like to me that the Saints just wanted it more then the colts did, plain and simple.

Did I think the Saints would win, nope I was certain that the Colts would win, but that is the thing that I like about the Superbowel, it is a 1 game, winner takes all.

I think the game could of gone anyway, it is amazing how a team rwegardless to what sport they are playing can get on a roll when things are going good (during the game) and how another team that should win can get conplaceive and lose.

I personally didn't find anything really exciting about the superbowel, its not like there was brilliant play calling, alot of "Here we go, lets hope we can get this" Lets really look at it, any time a team does a onside kick it is a desperation play, no team that is not desperate for the win will do a onside kick, and that is fact. Now don't get me wrong I am not saying the Saint were desprate at that momment but it was a chance play or as I like to call it, close your eyes and hope you get it back.

The conversion is also another one of these plays that are only done when you are down and you need to do anything to get the lead and give your team the boost that they need.

In the end the team that wanted it more got the win, and good job to the Saints they had a fantasic year and a fantasic playoff run and for all their hard work they walked away with the Superbowel, oh by the way I still don't think Bree's is anything spectacular, I think he is a average qb with a fantasic team surrounding him.

I agree that the Saints wanted it more, I think that the onside kick really shook up Indy though. Usually the Super Bowl features very conservative play, and that was more of what you see in the CFL. It seemed from then on that the Saints got really pumped and took over the game. Plus the interception that Manning threw was the icing on the cake.

Anyone who watched that game and didn't think it was exciting must be a defensive coach.

NO just played slightly more defense than Indy did. I actually thought Indy's play calling in the second half was curious. They ran the ball ok in the 1st half, but not at all well in the second. But NO could not stop the passing game. My question during the second half was why are they running the ball at all? They stopped their own drives with running plays and screens. On the 5-15 yd pass plays they seemed almost unstoppable. With one notable exception.

I don't think the onside kick was desperation at all. Nor did I think the two point conversion was. It was a 6 pt game otherwise and late. 7 pts beats you. I thought it was a no brainer.

The onside kick was brilliant. It's a desperation play when you are down late. Down by 4 in a super bowl to start the 2nd half? That's not desperation, that's balls!

Anyone who watched that game and didn't think it was exciting must be a defensive coach.

NO just played slightly more defense than Indy did. I actually thought Indy's play calling in the second half was curious. They ran the ball ok in the 1st half, but not at all well in the second. But NO could not stop the passing game. My question during the second half was why are they running the ball at all? They stopped their own drives with running plays and screens. On the 5-15 yd pass plays they seemed almost unstoppable. With one notable exception.

I don't think the onside kick was desperation at all. Nor did I think the two point conversion was. It was a 6 pt game otherwise and late. 7 pts beats you. I thought it was a no brainer.

The onside kick was brilliant. It's a desperation play when you are down late. Down by 4 in a super bowl to start the 2nd half? That's not desperation, that's balls!

Rick you gotta remeber when a team runs the ball alot they are most likely setting up the play-action plays, this is what manning was doing, the saints just played very disapline football and alot in zone coverage which will always defeate the play action plays. When running a man to man defense play actions are designed to bring players premature cause they are thinking of loss yards then little throws to slanting, button hooks, curls, etc.... The wide recivers are usally used as your secondary pass when the defensive team doesn't bite cause then its man on man, unless of course you are running a zone three, cover 3 is even better but hey I could go on about this for a long time.

Oh and I asked Ron, which as you know is a very offensive coach and he also agreed that it was without a doubt a desperation move, at that point of the game you could tell that the saints where on the roll and the Colts were slowly fading away, and there was more then enough time to get another td, the saints just wanted to make sure they had the lead and could build off it, but hey its just a diffrence in opion between me and you.

Rick you gotta remeber when a team runs the ball alot they are most likely setting up the play-action plays, this is what manning was doing, the saints just played very disapline football and alot in zone coverage which will always defeate the play action plays. When running a man to man defense play actions are designed to bring players premature cause they are thinking of loss yards then little throws to slanting, button hooks, curls, etc.... The wide recivers are usally used as your secondary pass when the defensive team doesn't bite cause then its man on man, unless of course you are running a zone three, cover 3 is even better but hey I could go on about this for a long time.

Oh and I asked Ron, which as you know is a very offensive coach and he also agreed that it was without a doubt a desperation move, at that point of the game you could tell that the saints where on the roll and the Colts were slowly fading away, and there was more then enough time to get another td, the saints just wanted to make sure they had the lead and could build off it, but hey its just a diffrence in opion between me and you.

Brad,

10-6 ain't desperation, no matter what Ron thinks!

And I fully understand run to set up the pass. Except when the pass is working no matter what and the run isn't. In that case you are running for no reason whatsoever.

Brad,

10-6 ain't desperation, no matter what Ron thinks!

And I fully understand run to set up the pass. Except when the pass is working no matter what and the run isn't. In that case you are running for no reason whatsoever.

Even when the run isn't working it is still required to keep the D honest, last thing you would want is a big turn over D sitting on every pass, even if Manning is the QB.

Even when the run isn't working it is still required to keep the D honest, last thing you would want is a big turn over D sitting on every pass, even if Manning is the QB.

I agree that they had to worry about the saints sitting on routes. But the lack of the run KILLED Indy. They were getting 0 yards, setting up too many 2nd and 10s. Better in my mind to go to the controlled passing game. Try to dink and dunk your way out of it. Indy only got 7 points in the last 3 quarters, on a truly not very good defense. What they did wasn't working.

That said, it was still a close game until the pick.