Fly Fusion Forums

The Lines Bought In Vain Club

Well if their website is any indication of their quality... Tons of broken links and zero info specific to any of their lines! There is just on info on "sling shots"! Maybe they went out of business and/or someone bought them out?! If you can take it back and get a credit or your $ back, then buy a more well known trusted brand?! But it could be a good line, who knows?!

P

Wife bought me some 'Northern Sport Aquanova' for Christmas, I've never even heard of it. She said the guy at Hansen's said it was good line. Anybody ever try it?

Wife bought me some 'Northern Sport Aquanova' for Christmas, I've never even heard of it. She said the guy at Hansen's said it was good line. Anybody ever try it?

Aren't those the lines they usually sell at Canadian Tire and Wal-Mart? Hope you didn't pay more than $30 for it...

I tried the TFO Special Delivery Line. I got it for free (plus $10 shipping or something) when I purchased my 8'6" 5wt last year.

Really didn't like it at all. My Cortland 444-sl was WAY nicer to cast, floated better and was easier to shoot line with. Used the Special Delivery for a total of two days on the river.

hey dude like others mentioned they are just a cheap line.. i have fished those lines for a little while in highschool not a bad line for 30 bucks..

personally i havnt liked any of the nymph tapers or the pike and bass tapers from a few brands... but mainly for speycasting with my single handed lines

I will throw this out there.....

Unmodified lines for borrow

SA:

Steelhead taper #7

Skagit 400@24 feet

SA headstart #6, bunch chopped off the front for nymphs

couple #5 aircells free too a good home

Loop:

Opti Stream #5......head only

Loop Opti Adapted double hand 7/8, with intermediate tip

Looking to borrow.....airflo 40+ #5 and #6, and a 275 grain skagit

Any Cortland floating line I've ever bought. I know, people swear by them and I'm probably going to get flamed big time, but I've never gotten one that would float worth a damn. The last one I bought was the second generation 555 dynatip, and I even dressed it with Cortland brand line dressing right out of the box before it even got close to water and it was still a POS. Maybe just my bad luck, but I'm a dyed in the wool Rio fan now.

The worst line I've bought is a 6Wt floating rio mainstream. It is awful stuff, it seems like it is about the weight of a regular 4wt. You need SOoooo much line out to load the road- it is useless for a faster action rod. I bought some rio grande to try but if that is a dud I'm going back to SA lines.

The absolute worst line EVER: Cortland 555 Clear Floating. GAAAAWD it was like trying to cast a slinky toy. One of the best ever: Cortland 444 WF5F Peach.

I have a mix of SA skagits and shortheads for spey lines and have recently become very impressed with Airflo Compact skagits and scandi.

I have used Rio lines in several applications but just did not get the service out of them that one expects from a "higher priced" line.

Sharkskin, I really like(I know lots of guys hate it) but contrary to others findings(including my personal fly fishing god), I continue to get good service out of them.(OK I am getting hard of hearing, so the zip-zip doesn't bother me :) ).

j

The absolute worst line EVER: Cortland 555 Clear Floating. GAAAAWD it was like trying to cast a slinky toy. One of the best ever: Cortland 444 WF5F Peach.

I have a mix of SA skagits and shortheads for spey lines and have recently become very impressed with Airflo Compact skagits and scandi.

I have used Rio lines in several applications but just did not get the service out of them that one expects from a "higher priced" line.

Sharkskin, I really like(I know lots of guys hate it) but contrary to others findings(including my personal fly fishing god), I continue to get good service out of them.(OK I am getting hard of hearing, so the zip-zip doesn't bother me :) ).

j

I agree with the Cortland 444 WF5F Peach, one of my faves, while the Cortland Precision Trout Western Drifter Dynatip is complete garbage. For some reason I actually bought into the improved tip float and shooting power claims on the packaging. No durability, very limp.

The worst line I've bought is a 6Wt floating rio mainstream. It is awful stuff, it seems like it is about the weight of a regular 4wt. You need SOoooo much line out to load the road- it is useless for a faster action rod. I bought some rio grande to try but if that is a dud I'm going back to SA lines.

This is my exact story, except with a 5wt line. Terrible to load, until you get a ton of it out there. I'm hoping the Rio Grand does the trick...

That is what came on the 4wt I bought, not digging the line, and thinking of getting a different one, I hear good things about cortland but i have a SA GPX on my six that I like. so will probably track that way again

I'm pretty new to fly fishing still and haven't had a whole lot of line experience but I can tell you that I hated my shark skin line. It picks up a ton of dirt and the head snapped off of it with very little use. I did like how it casts but I am sure I can find another line that casts as good or better and doesn't collect the dirt that it did. I bought a rio gold a few weeks ago and plan on testing it out on the crow in the next few weeks hopefully.

Nate

I'm pretty new to fly fishing still and haven't had a whole lot of line experience but I can tell you that I hated my shark skin line. It picks up a ton of dirt and the head snapped off of it with very little use. I did like how it casts but I am sure I can find another line that casts as good or better and doesn't collect the dirt that it did. I bought a rio gold a few weeks ago and plan on testing it out on the crow in the next few weeks hopefully.

Nate

I have the Rio Gold on my 3wt and love it.

Guys,

Got Cortland 444's from 2>9 wt. floaters. I like 'em. Worst ever line was a Cortland 555 - broke 2 - sent them back and got 444's and never looked back. Got sinkers from various companies though. SA, Teeny, Cortland, Shakespeare & Rio. Bought a Rio Classic that I'm going to try this spring.

catch ya'

Don