Fly Fusion Forums

Team Canada

IMHO

In a nutshell.

Canada just plain played less as a team and more as individuals. It showed.

Why, when a team loses, does everyone jump on the "they didn't play as a team" line? The problem, and even the media understood this, is that our goaltending was not as stellar as theirs. Plain and simple. How can you say they didn't play as a team when they took three penalties in the third, and still dominated the US outshooting them by a huge margin.

If Edmonton went into Washington and beat them 4:3 with Edmontons goalie of the week stopping twice as many shots at the washington goalie, would people say Edmonton was better than Washington?

BTW - I'm normally hard on goalies, but I don't think Brodeur played bad - just that Miller was exceptional. Go back and look at my first two posts on this thread and you'll see that going into the tournament we didn't have anything near a top goalie, so not sure why ANYONE would be surprised that Miller played lights out, he has been doing it all year. i don't expect Bobby Lou will save the day there either, but we still have a decent chance to win the tourney, because out forwards are that good.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, don't forget the refs were North American ( NHL I believe), it could have been a lot worse.

Now for a fresh breath let's think about 4 years from now. Heard an interview with Cam Neely last night ( VP Bruins). Bettman has stated that he doubts the NHL players will be allowed to particpate in Sochi as the owners are risking too much for little gain...no building revenue for two weeks when there is no football or baseball south of the 49th, no revenue from all the jersey sales caused by what their employees are wearing, and possible injuries that may have an adverse affect on their teams playoff survival. Using the usual Bettman logic, he suggested that perhaps ICE hockey be moved to the summer games...remember the Canada Cups in August?...now I would think that is a little absurd, but I do remember seeing an outdoor rink at the Tower of London last time I was there...lol.

There has also been talk of restricting the Olympic tourney to under 23 like soccer, however this would penalize teams with young stars such as Stamkos and teams without young stars ( Flames?) would benefit.

I am now liking another suggestion whereby every fourth year we move the world junior tourney into the Olympics...same passion and a better chance for us to win methinks...

As for the Germans tonight, remember they couldn't win on the road in WW2....sk

I dont know what it is... but I do remember watching the passion back when junior players were the ones playing. I want to see that again.

Anyone else watch march madness... or college football? Or even go to a junior hockey game? Soooooooooooooooo much more fun that watching the pro's IMHO.

The pros are like a well oiled machine, they are trained to be devoid of all emotion for the most part "never too high never too low" etc. It makes for boring olympic games... especially on small ice. I was hoping for olympic hockey and not NHL hockey this year...

I can't wait for sochi if that's the case. I'll be watching! The world juniors (even though we did lose, and yes, to USA) it was the most exciting hockey I've seen all year.

Now for a fresh breath let's think about 4 years from now. Heard an interview with Cam Neely last night ( VP Bruins). Bettman has stated that he doubts the NHL players will be allowed to particpate in Sochi as the owners are risking too much for little gain...no building revenue for two weeks when there is no football or baseball south of the 49th, no revenue from all the jersey sales caused by what their employees are wearing, and possible injuries that may have an adverse affect on their teams playoff survival.

Here's the glaring flaw in the NHL logic. Let's see, if you are not in the olympics, then what sporting event could be competing with the NHL when they are playing during the olympics, let me think.......oh yeah THE OLYMPICS!!! More interest is generated in Hockey during the Olympics down south than any other time. It doesn't last, but at least it's interest. There will be exactly 0 interest in hockey down south if the NHL is playing during the olympics, and less of it than normal here. Morons.

As always, with Bettman and the owners it's all about money and the bottom line. National pride and what is good for the game doesn't enter into the equation. It would sure be nice to see a fan revolt but that won't happen.

Regards Mike

Point taken Rick but remember the pros ( NHL, NBA, Tennis) have only been participating in the Oly's for the past few Olympiads ( NHL started in Nagano in '98 I think). Prior to that the NHL sched rolled on with nary a bump during the Olympics. This is a never-ending conundrum...While we think most of the sports are played by amatuers in fact they are now paying prize money for World Cup ski/snowboard races albeit pittance compared to the real pros. Remember the '88 Canadian Olympic men's hockey team, a few lower level pros and assorted university players that got together a couple of months prior to the games and then unfortunately tried to compete on an uneven playing field with the Communist Bloc which were paying their players to train together all year.

However on the other side are the Olympics not about being crowned the best participant in the entire world in a particular sport on a specific day?. And in the case of the high profile sports then the current pros are the best at their craft and should they then not be offered the opportunity to prove it?

How about two different sets of Olympics...one set for those athletes making say under $250,000 per year at their sport, and another for those over that amount, no doping checks required, just show your T4 at the door....

Wait till Tiger shows up in Rio in 2016...lol...

Hopefully Nash can get Getz and Perry to do something. Those two are sucking so far. Nash has been very good.

Iggy , Crosby, Stall should be fun to watch.

Sharks line has been pretty good, could be better.

Thornton needs to relax, gripping the stick too tight he cant make a pass.

I say 5-1 Canada tonight, but we'll be gripping the couch cushions till late in the third or so.

Guest Sundancefisher
7-3 in the third against the russians

Think Team Canada wants it?

YAHOOO We won and won convincingly! Maybe all they needed was a few cross checks in the egos

OK, going to start this off by probably saying the opposite of what you're all thinking.

First, we played great, but no better than we did last night. Lots of energy, explosive and aggressive. Russia was just bad. Lack of defence on the part of the forwards and the defence were soft and lazy...no commitment to defence by the whole team. They hung their goalie out to dry and only one goal was really his fault.

Dont' think Lou was a star either. He has played no better than Brodeur and he didn't outplay Nabokov tonight...Lou just had more help on defence.

Even though the US game was a good one...they just couldn't get the breaks. I'm happy with how they've played the last 3 games, and hope it continues.

Sure is fun watching the games...these guys are playing with a lot of energy and passion.

YAHOOO We won and won convincingly! Maybe all they needed was a few cross checks in the egos

Wow. Do we see this differently. I don't think the problem early on was ego's, that's for sure.

Bloom, I agree. Main difference tonight is that we finished our quality chances, and Nabokov probably wants one, maybe two goals back. Also agree about Luongo; he played well enough to win, that's it. Let's see if he ends up facing a situation where he really has to bail us out and then judge how he's doing with the pressure. Russia did play bad indeed; in fact, they hardly showed up. We out-worked them, out-skated, and certainly out-passed them. An achilles heel for the Russians is that they try to do too much themselves, and are too selfish. Now that's playing with ego.

Anyways, next up! Can't wait. Team is getting stronger, despite Russia's play. I mean to say they're demonstrating faith and paitence in themselves and their teammates. Keep the momentum rolling...

Smitty

P.S. BTW, anyone else notice that the women seem to be carrying our medal count? :PFOUR medals today, all by the ladies. You rock Team Canada WOMEN! (plus a few of you are pretty good lookin'...)

OK, going to start this off by probably saying the opposite of what you're all thinking.

First, we played great, but no better than we did last night. Lots of energy, explosive and aggressive. Russia was just bad. Lack of defence on the part of the forwards and the defence were soft and lazy...no commitment to defence by the whole team. They hung their goalie out to dry and only one goal was really his fault.

Dont' think Lou was a star either. He has played no better than Brodeur and he didn't outplay Nabokov tonight...Lou just had more help on defence.

Even though the US game was a good one...they just couldn't get the breaks. I'm happy with how they've played the last 3 games, and hope it continues.

Sure is fun watching the games...these guys are playing with a lot of energy and passion.

100% agree. Our goaltending has yet to really face any test, but so strong up front that as long as our goaltending is adequate and the opposition's goalie doesn't play like Miller in the US game, should be able to win 7-6.