Fly Fusion Forums

Team Canada

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, imagine the nerve of Angela to act like a Canadian hockey player and be devastated by not getting the gold medal. Especially since she's had to watch that steady stream of US Olympians heading toward the medal stand the last couple of weeks.

Nobody on the Canadian women's team would have cried if they lost.

I imagine Angela will be ok. Her Cum Laude degree in Gov't from Harvard will probably tend to smooth things out. That ass taste will be out of her mouth soon enough. Looks like she may be destined for the Topofthefoodchain clan.

Edit: I just went to her homepage. Seems like a real bitch, wonder how she lives with herself. Harvard, charities, one of the best US women's players ever........

Angela's homepage

charities

Guest galsfishtoo
I vote we remove all funding for any Canadian Male Athletes and give it all to the women. Really - Canadian men seem to choke at almost every opportunity (except for Bilodeau). Brutal. Good work by Rochette.

The Canadian women are kicking butt!!! Cheers to all of them. Their hard work and dedication has paid off! :rolleyes::D

I can see why she was upset,especially in an event that Silver is finishing last in a two team event.

Exactly. By the way, does the gold taste like cigar?

Canadian players, still wearing their uniforms and with gold medals draped around their necks, celebrated their victory by drinking champagne and beer at centre ice following a 2-0 win over the United States.

Marie-Philip Poulin, who at 18 is not old enough to legally drink in British Columbia, was one of the players taking part in the post-game boozing.

Gillian Apps passed around a victory cigar, while tournament MVP Meghan Agosta lay on her back just inside the blue-line, sipping from a can of beer and looking up at the ceiling lights five storeys above her, just savouring the moment.

Normally I wouldn't care (and I actually still don't care), but after the "taste like ass" comment and reading this, the term "glass houses" comes to mind. Something about throwing stones.

Tremendous amounts of hard work entitles them to act like fools a bit win they win. Or lose.

not sorry for my outburst of un-canadian pride in seeing our team prevail over thier rivals. it has nothing to do with the long history of 'friendly banter' that's gone on in the past. i'm not sad she got to hear our anthem again.

no question she's a very talented althelete. and gosh maybe even a wonderful person. i think she'll be ok too.

too bad there's talk of her hanging them up, it's the talent on both sides that pushes the game to a higher level. also hope the event remains in the olympics.

awesome to see our female athletes represented so well and leading the 'own the podium' charge.

bernard gets a medal today. hope it's gold!

not sorry for my outburst of un-canadian pride in seeing our team previal over thier rivals. it has nothing to do with the long history of 'friendly banter' that's gone on in the past. i'm not sad she got to hear our anthem again.

No problem with friendly banter. I fully participate. And you should not be sad in the least she got to hear your anthem as I would not have been sad had you got to hear mine.

But I'm pretty sure we can refrain from slamming the players. Much more fun to slam each other.

I hope that both teams enjoy the medals that they won as it may be the last medals they could win based on what was reported this AM the IOC is considering removing women's hockey from the games as they feel it is not competitive enough. Let's hope that other countries programs improve enough over the next couple of years so this does not happen

It sounded to me like the tone was in the vein of giving it one more chance. I did read an article about the other countries improving, and they are. The problem is the programs in the US and Canada are improving at a faster rate. The fear is, in the short term, the gap may even increase.

I hope that is not true. I find the games fun to watch. I thought last nights game was great, and the future for the North American game look even better. But I do fear that the game is on a very short leash, and next Olympics looks like more of the same. And no Olympics, no real interest in women's hockey. Unfortunately.

Perhaps the US and Canadian programs could be of more help to the Europeans to help their programs there. Something has to change and change fairly quickly.

To me the bronze metal game between Sweden and Finland was just as good if not a tad better than the gold metal game but there again the teams were more evenly matched as are the US and Canada

Tryed watching the womens hockey games, just couldn't get into it. After seeing some of the prelim games and the Canadian semi I lost interest. The difference in talent is just too great, the fins and swedes, the number 3 & 4 teams in the world are even light years behind. Yes there have been exceptions when one of these team upset the big gals. Its just something about team sport when one team wipes the floor with the other that is just not interesting to me, even if its the mens Can/Rus quarter, shut it off after 6-1. Maybe I should of watched the womens medal games as atleast the score seems to indicate it as an entertaining game.

Re the IOC criticizing women's hockey because it's "uncompetitive." I think the real problem for the IOC, is that the Europeans aren't competitive. Those of us old enough to remember the alpine and nordic skiing events back in the 60's, 50's and earlier (count me out on remembering earlier than the 50's) will recall that it was all European skiers gathering up the medals. I don't remember the IOC being too concerned about that. And as for the Canadian women smokin and drinkin, good on 'em, they deserved to celebrate. I thought the pictures of their "party" were a hoot, and the IOC can stuff it. Terry

Re the IOC criticizing women's hockey because it's "uncompetitive." I think the real problem for the IOC, is that the Europeans aren't competitive. Those of us old enough to remember the alpine and nordic skiing events back in the 60's, 50's and earlier (count me out on remembering earlier than the 50's) will recall that it was all European skiers gathering up the medals. I don't remember the IOC being too concerned about that. And as for the Canadian women smokin and drinkin, good on 'em, they deserved to celebrate. I thought the pictures of their "party" were a hoot, and the IOC can stuff it. Terry

you know what. it wasnt that long ago that the mens teams from russia,sweden, and canada used to blow out teams like switzerland,germany and norway. Now those games are pretty dam close. would be a shame to give up on the womans game just yet.

It sounded to me like the tone was in the vein of giving it one more chance. I did read an article about the other countries improving, and they are. The problem is the programs in the US and Canada are improving at a faster rate. The fear is, in the short term, the gap may even increase.

I hope that is not true. I find the games fun to watch. I thought last nights game was great, and the future for the North American game look even better. But I do fear that the game is on a very short leash, and next Olympics looks like more of the same. And no Olympics, no real interest in women's hockey. Unfortunately.

I find it odd that people talk about tossing an event out of the olympics because only 1 or 2 teams are dominant. Look at the other most exciting event in the Olypics - Ice Dancing. From 1976 to to 2006 - Russia/Soviet Union won 7 Gold, 6 Silver, and 3 bronze. The only reason they didn't seep the medals is that they only entered 2 teams. So out of a possible 18 medals , they won 16. Don't recall anyone talking about tossing Ice Dancing from the Olypmics (and it would be an awful shame if they did).

People talk about how Canada beat Slovakia 18-0. How about Men's Giant Slalom. The winner clocked 2:37.83. The last place finisher - 3:34.92 - pretty sure I could come close to that time. If they had to race against each other it would make Canada-Slovakia look competitive.

I find it odd that people talk about tossing an event out of the olympics because only 1 or 2 teams are dominant. Look at the other most exciting event in the Olypics - Ice Dancing. From 1976 to to 2006 - Russia/Soviet Union won 7 Gold, 6 Silver, and 3 bronze. The only reason they didn't seep the medals is that they only entered 2 teams. So out of a possible 18 medals , they won 16. Don't recall anyone talking about tossing Ice Dancing from the Olypmics (and it would be an awful shame if they did).

People talk about how Canada beat Slovakia 18-0. How about Men's Giant Slalom. The winner clocked 2:37.83. The last place finisher - 3:34.92 - pretty sure I could come close to that time. If they had to race against each other it would make Canada-Slovakia look competitive.

Maybe it’s just me, but individual dominants is totally different than team dominants, and pairs don't count as a team. I only see Hockey and Curling as team sports, I'm guessing thats because one team per nation. We are also not talking about first and last, we are talking about first and third.

Also Ice dancing maybe popular (is it?), but exciting I would have to argue with.

Well maybe if teams invested the time and money like we do in our women's team it might be diffrent. Howabout this howabout some of the european countries come to canada or the USA a couple of times a year and play in some tournments.

I think it is unfair to our women's team that works very hard to accoplish what they have accoplished only to be treated or viewed like they are, maybe the real problem isn't enough competiontion but maybe its other countries don't care about their women's team, I know here and in the states we are very proud of our teams hence why we dominate so much.

Ohh, that one stung a little.

No sting intended Rick, that game had 2 evenly matched teams and it went to overtime to decide the winner. Don't get me wrong both were good games but there is something about sudden death overtime that adds to the game

That's a valid point. But for team sports, somehow it is different. For GS (using the same example), I can watch the top 15 and be relatively certain I will watch the winner. I can skip the "slovakian" version of the skier. Not so true in team sports. If it is a total mismatch, I have to watch the domination (and in reality I change the station) for a couple of hours.

On another note, WTF is up with Finland. Holy crap. The US will be felling pretty good about themselves on Sunday. Hope they play Canada! It will be a blast!

Alright.. so the USA are in the process of absolutely slaughtering Finland!!

It's like ~15 minutes in and it's 6-0!! They've already chased Kipper and then 2 more on Backstrom in like 15 seconds...

cancel men' hockey to then..................LOL.

When your best player is on the verge of retirement from the NHL, what do you expect. I am surprised however.

That's a valid point. But for team sports, somehow it is different. For GS (using the same example), I can watch the top 15 and be relatively certain I will watch the winner. I can skip the "slovakian" version of the skier. Not so true in team sports. If it is a total mismatch, I have to watch the domination (and in reality I change the station) for a couple of hours.

On another note, WTF is up with Finland. Holy crap. The US will be felling pretty good about themselves on Sunday. Hope they play Canada! It will be a blast!

I can watch the top 15 women hockey players and say the same thing. They just happen to be on the same team!

Good to see Kipper do that for some other team.