Fly Fusion Forums

Team Canada

Well - lets get it going.

Looks like Stevie Y and crew didn't learn much from Wayne. Don't let friendship cloud your decisions.

Pronger? Was Brutal in Salt Lake and even worse in Italy. Given the Russian Offense, we needed a better D.

How can he put Pronger and Niedermeyer on there and leave off Mike Green? Green has one of the highest +/- in the league at +15 and has the most points by s D man (he has more points that Nash!). Niedermeyer is -10 - one of the very worst in the league. I'd put Green, Phaneuf, Bowmeester, AND Reggie (along with about 8 other D Men) well ahead of those two.

Quote Steve - "We wanted to take the 7 best guys that are playing best this year"

Big Mistake. They had Iggy who could be Captain. No need to take Niedermeyer - that was all about being Pals with the team management. When the Russions make Pronger and Niedermeyer look brutal and put 6 or 7 past whichever netminder is in, maybe then they'll let hockey canada pick the team.

Forwards - pretty much as expected but Corey Perry? Eric Staal? No Stamkos?

My prediction is that weak goaltending and weak defense will haunt this team.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is Beaduer weak, maybe this year but how many olympic gold medals does he have and how many World Series cups does he have and also how many stanley cups does he have?

As for the Dmen they took, what a joke as mentioned before.

Also I wouldn't make pronger or neydamier a captain I would of pick thortan before these two clows......

How is Beaduer weak, maybe this year but how many olympic gold medals does he have and how many World Series cups does he have and also how many stanley cups does he have?

Not a shot a Martin, but a shot at Canadian Goaltending in general. One thing we should have learned from 2006 - past accomplishments should not be valued over current performance. Brodeur is having a very good season, but Bryzgalov is lights out as are the #1 goalies for all of the other top teams at the Olympics. BTW - Bordeur has one Olympic Medal in three tries - they failed to win any Medal in 1998 or 2006.

Bryzgalov is top 5 in all goaltending categories (Despite playing for Phoenix). Same thing for Miller - .933 save percentage tied for first with Tuka Rask (Finland). Brodeur and Luongo are tied for 13th in Save Percentage. The world is overtaking us in goaltending - there is not one Canadian goalie in the top 10 in save percentage in the league. 2 Finns, 2 Swedes, 3 Americans, 3 Russians, and 2 Czechs make up the top 12.

This was going to be a tough tourney to win any medal in anyway - adding Pronger and Niedermeyer makes me think it will be even that much harder. While I think our forwards are stronger than in 2006, the Russians are still probably the most potent. Speaking of the Russians - look what they did with Kovalev and Khabibulin - they left them off the roster despite having been the stars at the 2006 Olympics.

I've never been a khabibulin fan myself so good for the them...

I understand what you saying but personally I think out of any canadin goalie bordeur has by fan the most international experince I don't know if I would take Long. (It could be I just hate van as much as I do edmonton)

I think with a weak defense infront of any goailie its going to be a hard tournment for that goile....

I was shocked just like you with the defensive pick, you know the americans and the russians, infact everyone in the international hockey community have a gruge against the canadains so we need a strong physical core and instead they took the old men, didn't niedermeyer try and retire a couple of years ago *Sarcasm* and didn't pronger get caught cheating in edmonton and had to move away, and we want these guys representing our country, the quiter and the cheater.............

I can honestly understand pheulf not beeing picked but bowmeester and Regear man give your head a shake... Almost makes me what to belive brian's conserpicey theories..... *Sarcasm*

And not to bash sid, but I wouldn't of picked him even as a alternitive captain, I would of given it to Thorton (now he's a real hockey player)

Say what you want to about wyane but I think he did alot for Canadain International hockey in the last couple of years.

Prongers a frikkin PYLON... played with no heart in 2006 what's to change? I hate him. The fact that this team chose guys like pronger.... and left grit, hussle and HEART in shane doan, off the roster, makes me barf.

Please.... bring back the junior players to the olympics!!! I want to see games that are played with heart, hustle, and love for my country, not a bunch of overpriced pussies on "vacation" like in 2006. Pretty sure that's what we've got again in 2010. I hope they prove me wrong.

Green would be a horrible choice for D, sure he has high points but look who is on forwards? i dont think we need any help getting points, plus green has shown time and time again he will go for the chance at a point rather then make good defensive decision. Id much rather have a stronger Defensive player anyday then a point getter, that being said i am an Oiler fan and was surprised Bouwmeester wasnt selected.... I dont think the team is great, but it could have been far worse. Im sure they will do fine, Canada has alot riding on this and it would be a pretty big joke on the world scale if the fail to preform in hockey...

Lets hope

Dustin

I also wasn’t a fan of Green making the team. The other defensemen selections just had a little more to offer than Green. There’s more to a defenseman than what shows up on a stats sheet. Green is where is because he plays and passes the puck to AO. Remember his play in the playoffs last year against the pens, enough said.

And not to bash sid, but I wouldn't of picked him even as a alternitive captain, I would of given it to Thorton (now he's a real hockey player)

That's a pretty bold statement there. Sid has been to the finals twice, has lead and won a cup and is only 22, Thorton never came close.

Suntoucher,

I hear what you saying but I think a captain needs experince to be a real good captain, Sid has only been in the league for how many years compared to Thorton who has been a captain at the professional level for how many years????

Beeing a good player and beeing a good captain are two totally diffrent things to me, maybe by the next olympics when sid has 7 years expeince playing with pro's and beeing a captain at a professional level then sure we'll see, he's still young and still developing as a player and capatin at the professional level.

I feel like the only reason why he was choosen for captain has nothing to do with his ability as a player or captain but more to do with the fact that for the last couple of years he has been the poster boy (image) of the nhl.

I guess what I am saying is that I think there are players that has put alot more time and has a ton more experince then sid that should of been picked.

I have alot of confidence in Babcock as a coach......He'll get the most out of what he's got and he's got lots.......If someone isn't putting out Bacock will let him watch.......I think the team is fine but the Russians, Fins and Americans will all contend so it won't be easy........And as for bringing back the Juniors, Brian, look at the number of players on this team that have Junior international experience........I like their youth.......

Green would be a horrible choice for D, sure he has high points but look who is on forwards?

Green +15, Nieder -10 - Last time I checked Anaheim has 2 forwards on Team Canada. The guy has the most points in the league and higher +/- than any other player on Team Canada. People repeat what they hear from the TSN guys, but if green played for Toronto or montreal - he'd be on the first defense pairing.

• 1 month later...

While I think Pronger is debatable, you don't leave someone like Neidemayer off this team. Too much experience, too much ability to ignore; I don't give 2 cents what his +/- is this year, doesn't matter a whit for this Olympic tournament.

Hey - I'm from Edmonton, and I am supposed to hate Pronger. but given the size of Russian forwards, you may want someone of Pronger's size to deal with them. I'm willing to wait a little bit to see if really is a liability.

Don't know what games you watched Reh, but Pronger was pretty good in Salt Lake. And in Turin, when you get shutout 3 of the last 4 games, you know defence isn't THE issue.

BTW, great coaching, great game plan by the Swiss to keep it close. Have to give credit to them - they skated hard and checked hard, and that does help mitigate the difference in skill. Quite effective. Classic way to play as an underdog. Plus it helps when your goalie stands on his head.

Smitty

P.S. Bhurt; many comments from the fellow players and commentators about Crosby's willingness and dedication to the game. He's a superior choice for the A; and it grooms him for 2014. Thornton has choked in the playoffs, and hasn't won a Stanley Cup; Crosby has.

While I think Pronger is debatable, you don't leave someone like Neidemayer off this team. Too much experience, too much ability to ignore; I don't give 2 cents what his +/- is this year, doesn't matter a whit for this Olympic tournament.

Hey - I'm from Edmonton, and I am supposed to hate Pronger. but given the size of Russian forwards, you may want someone of Pronger's size to deal with them. I'm willing to wait a little bit to see if really is a liability.

Don't know what games you watched Reh, but Pronger was pretty good in Salt Lake. And in Turin, when you get shutout 3 of the last 4 games, you know defence isn't THE issue.

BTW, great coaching, great game plan by the Swiss to keep it close. Have to give credit to them - they skated hard and checked hard, and that does help mitigate the difference in skill. Quite effective. Classic way to play as an underdog. Plus it helps when your goalie stands on his head.

Smitty

P.S. Bhurt; many comments from the fellow players and commentators about Crosby's willingness and dedication to the game. He's a superior choice for the A; and it grooms him for 2014. Thornton has choked in the playoffs, and hasn't won a Stanley Cup; Crosby has.

Smitty,

Here si the thing, I never said crosby wasn't a good player or did not ddeserve to be there I think he needs more time before he can be a effective captain, lots of great players out there that don't have a cup, you going say iggy shouldn't be there cause he has no cup either and has *hit the bag before in playoffs, but the time he has been in the NHL he deserves to be a captain, I still think crosby should not be a captain, but hey that is just my opion.

Guest Sundancefisher
that was an ugly game. downright ugly.

crosby not captain brad? are you insane? give your head a shake. he's the face of canadian hockey for the next 15 years.. get used to it. He's the BEST WE HAVE let him carry the "C".

What do you all think is the definition of captian? What is the captains roles and responsibilities.

Sometimes you don't even put the "best" player in that role. Sometimes it takes their head out of the game. Sometimes you just need an excellent speaker and motivator in the dressing room. Someone that sees the big picture.

Just sayin...

What do you all think is the definition of captian? What is the captains roles and responsibilities.

Sometimes you don't even put the "best" player in that role. Sometimes it takes their head out of the game. Sometimes you just need an excellent speaker and motivator in the dressing room. Someone that sees the big picture.

Just sayin...

Which is exactly why Neidermeyer has the "C".

Crosby will have it in 2014.

Last night's game gave me the same sick feeling I had watching the Torino team. They seem to be trying to slow the game down - crawling out of our zone on the break out, turning back on the slightest forecheck pressure, slowing down at the Swiss blue line. The Swiss were a bouncing puck away from winning on Lemm's shot because they were always skating. They showed no fear of the Canadians.

MOVE YOUR FEET, GET AFTER THE PUCK, PASS IT HARD

Getzlaf was scary - trying to get too fancy, even on the shoot out.

The Marleau line is the only one that really showed up and worked.

Smitty,

Here si the thing, I never said crosby wasn't a good player or did not ddeserve to be there I think he needs more time before he can be a effective captain, lots of great players out there that don't have a cup, you going say iggy shouldn't be there cause he has no cup either and has *hit the bag before in playoffs, but the time he has been in the NHL he deserves to be a captain, I still think crosby should not be a captain, but hey that is just my opion.

Huh? Iginla would have been a great choice for captain. He has the experience and leadership qualities, don't you think. Where did the analogy for Iginla come from? :) I only disputed the comparison between Thronton and Crosby.

BTW, why are we debating the choice for captain? Its not like Crosby's wearing it...he's an A. Again, an excellent choice.

Castus:

I understand the sick feeling thing, but understand, this team has way more weapons and offence than the Turin team. Way more.

I think people should calm down. Every tournament is going to have patches where your team plays subpar. I don't like it either, but if you're expecting a blowout every game, or even an all star team like Canada to perfectly execute game plan every game, your expectations are far too high.

Frankly, this was a good game for them. they still got a win, and a wake up call. Win win in my opinion. Guess I am more optimistic than some. Lets see how we do against the US on Sunday.

Smitty

Well, assuming you guys get by Germany (a big assumption), you get the Russians. Good luck with that.

On the plus side, your Ice Dancers are in first place. You guys seem pretty good at that. Your ladies speed skaters are pretty good too. You should be pretty happy with your Olympic performance overall, just behind Norway and tied with Korea. Nice job. Just think what it would have been like if you hadn't owned the podium.

I don't really mean all that. But ya gotta admit, it's pretty funny. No? Well, the wound may be a little fresh.

Well, assuming you guys get by Germany (a big assumption), you get the Russians. Good luck with that.

On the plus side, your Ice Dancers are in first place. You guys seem pretty good at that. Your ladies speed skaters are pretty good too. You should be pretty happy with your Olympic performance overall, just behind Norway and tied with Korea. Nice job. Just think what it would have been like if you hadn't owned the podium.

I don't really mean all that. But ya gotta admit, it's pretty funny. No? Well, the wound may be a little fresh.

You're a jerk!!

Hehehe...

Well it may be I end up eating alot of crow about Pronger. ;) But he wasn't the largest issue, not by a longshot. (But Neidermayer was awesome, as was Doughty).

Hey Rickr, I am not worried; when your team relies on 3 assists from our goalie, plus an empty netter, then you deserve the win. ;)

And its an if, not a BIG one, about Germany. We're not nearly as bad as our record indicates.

Anyone notice that epic shift by Crosby's line near the end? Holy Crap! Solid!

Mr. Martin Brodeur, I thank-you deeply from the bottom of my heart for 2002. But its time for you to pass the reins. A veteran goalie like you shouldn't be making those decisions with the puck. I am not completely sold on Luongo, but neither am I about Fleury. I will say that we could have a serious issue here, if Luongo doesn't have an extremely strong game against Germany.

You know, I still thinks this feels more like Salt Lake than Torino, in terms of my gut and my belief about this team overcoming adversity. Assuming we get good goaltending, we should be fine.

Still hopeful,

Smitty

[Edit: And Rickr, damn right our dancers are in first place! As it should be!]