Fly Fusion Forums

Landing Net

Xplorer

Hi guys,

I am looking at buying a new landing net and see a few different types of net material. I was wondering if one is better than the other in regards to doing the least amount of wear and tear on the fish. Also what size would be good for the lower bow?

I never used a net till recently when I started fishing the lower bow, larger fish seemed tougher to handle than the smaller ones I catch in the Nw and mountain streams. The net I have now is too small for the fish down south, most of the fish ends up hanging out and that can not be good for the fish, so I stopped using it.

Thanks

Which ever design you get consider getting one with a longer handle (float tube size). You are still able to hang it from a jacket/vest but you get better fish landing leverage!

P

Hi guys,

I am looking at buying a new landing net and see a few different types of net material. I was wondering if one is better than the other in regards to doing the least amount of wear and tear on the fish. Also what size would be good for the lower bow?

I never used a net till recently when I started fishing the lower bow, larger fish seemed tougher to handle than the smaller ones I catch in the Nw and mountain streams. The net I have now is too small for the fish down south, most of the fish ends up hanging out and that can not be good for the fish, so I stopped using it.

Thanks

I would look for something with a basket abot 18"-20" and a handle about the same. Any longer and it's a pain to carry.

Also look for one with a rubber basket as they are easiest on the fish. I have been told that the clear rubber doesn't spook them as much.

My $.02

BK

Hi guys,

Thanks

I upgraded my net this summer for that exact same reason. Ended up going with the Brodin Ghost net (Gallatin) with the rubber net.

http://www.brodin.com

Recently I bought this net from Frabill. It's an awesome net that doesn't harm the fish. I had to get my local fly shop to order it in from the States because Bass Pro in Balzac didn't carry it, but Im glad I did, It's a great net. I especially like the way it stretches with the bigger fish. Here's a picture:

Frabill® Wooden Trout Net:

Nov200914.jpg