Fly Fusion Forums

Whats Wrong With Some People

jonn

I was out on the river Friday with my 3 yr old son, he was sporting his bright red spider-man rod and I my one and only spinning outfit. We were having a great time, I'd catch them with my rod and he would reel them in. We had caught 2 browns, a rainbow and even a pike. (an epic day for any three yr old.) Then some self righteous pompous a$$ decided to come by, he felt it was necessary to degrade me and tell me how unethical I was for allowing my son to fish with such an under rated rod for the river. He then proceeded to tell my son that his rod was no good and his dad should know better that to let him fish with it and all he was doing was hurting the fish. Now at this point Logan was starting to cry. I calmed my son down and told him to mind his own damn business. He then proceeded to tell me that I'm whats wrong with this river and that they let any idiot with a rod fish it and that they should make it a fly fishing only river so they could thin out the goofs. At this point with a crying son and not really wanting to show him how mad dad can get I chose to pack up and try fishing a different part. unfortunately Logan didn't have any interest in fishing anymore. (can't imagine why)

Now two days later my son still has no interest in fishing. The next day I asked him if he wanted to go to the fly shop and his reply was shocking. "dad i don't want to go there anymore, fishing is bad". So now thanks to the uptight elitist, Logan wont watch fishing shows, go to a shop or even fish. (I just finished asking him). Now this whole thing could have been avoided if he would have opened his damn eyes and noticed that Logan's fancy panther martin wasn't even sporting a hook!!!!! As I said earlier I was catching them with MY ROD and he was reeling them in. Now I have seen it time and time again, Fly fishermen cutting down gear heads and now I think it's to the point that it has become a head hunt for certain people. Well here is my two cents on the subject, using a spinning rod is not illegal, spin fishermen have just as much right to fish as any fly fisherman. They are not all bad people who guzzle beer, wear wife beaters and litter everywhere. Further more if you see a man and his kid on the river with spinning gear, keep your arrogant comments to yourself. Because as far as I'm concerned we should be using any means necessary to keep our kids in the outdoors and if it takes me putting down my fly rod so I can get my son into fishing then so be it, I'll be a PROUD GEAR HEAD.

Wow! Just... wow!

Sorry to hear this experience Jon. I hope you can trust me when I say.. we're not all like that!! I really hope your son get's over it and get's out there with dad again!

In my opinion (and a number of others), as long as you're following the regulations and having fun, it doesn't matter what gear or method you're using.

Well, as I said in my pm, total jackass move by the angler.

Really burns me when people climb high horses to judge other people's legal method of fishing.

Not to mention the outright, sheer, breathtaking stupidity of trying to criticize someone or their child in public like that. Even if - IF! - someone has some sort of valid point, did the idiot think for a second his "educated viewpoint" would sway or convince you in any way??? How you say stuff is far more important than what you say, some people don't get that.

When it comes right down to it, some people are just born to act idiotic.

Anyways, my sympathy for you and your son; hopefully, your boy will get over it by next season and get excited to go again.

Smitty

If your story is accurate, ( and I say that, not because I don't believe you but only because there are always two sides) I would like to apologise on behalf of all fly fishermen and women for the ignorance and conduct of the "elitist" in your story........I can assure you he doesn't represent the views of most..........Like any fraternity (fly fisher's, spin fisher's, bait fisher's etc.) there are no restrictions on membership and even idiots can join........The good news is your son is only 3 and he'll forget this incident and you'll enjoy many years of fun on the water with him...........

Sorry to hear about you experience. Unfortunately A#$holes not matter were you go. Good for you on keeping your cool as I know how difficult that must have been.

Hopefully the karma train runs this guy over!

Again good on ya for showing your son what nature has to offer at such an early age. To many kids are just plugged in these days.

There is nothing wrong using spinning gear provided you adhere to the regs. I don't try to teach fly fishing to kids under 13 based on experience with my kids. When I take someone down the river that has no fishing experience, kid or adult, I always take a spinning rod along.

Eeessshhh...pretty sad...My kids learned to fish with spinnin gear...How else are they to learn??, cant put a fly rod in their hands at age 3...Man O man, Not sure what I woulda done in that sitch...I think ya handled it well...Good on ya for teachin your son to fish and get him out...Some fly-casters can be real dicks....Dont give up on teachin him, you are goin to need a fishin partner in times to come...

All the best...Jeff..

Now I have seen it time and time again, Fly fishermen cutting down gear heads and now I think it's to the point that it has become a head hunt for certain people.

very sad. you did the right thing.

hopefully your son comes around i'm sure he will. i think many of us ff'ers first fishing experience was with a panther martin or a rapala or a 5 of diamonds or [gasp!] bait.

unfortunately you will encounter that snotty elitist attitude in certain pockets everywhere, incl. on this board, but i would say the majority is a much more accepting lot.

keep the faith brother!

AJ

Very sorry to hear about your ruined day, and more importantly the ruin expectations and view of your son.

I am very sure I would not have handled the situation as well as you, I have a bad habit of jumping on peoples throats with both feet if they mess with my family, above all my kids..

I can think of no better times I had with my sons then sitting on a dock with them and their little ice fishing rods, red and whites, perfect for kids starting out.. and their shear joy of the day, being with Dad..

They are all fly fishers now, but that is by there own choice, and I make no judgment as long as they follow all rules and regs..

Plse keep gently trying to get your son back to the fold so to speak, you and he will not be sorry..

The problem with self righteous #@$@heads like that is they think they are doing you a favor by teaching you some "etiquette". What garbage. Even if your son's rod had a hook, I've seen guys fish the bow with a 3 wt. What's the diff?

John, I agree with ADC. He will forget. The odds of something like this happening again are pretty slim. If you want, I bet I could get a couple of friends to run interference for ya!

angeryjonn,

Four times I've shared your experience. Three times on the Bow, once on the Crow.

Each time it was "fly" fishermen thinking that they were better than I when I was carrying a spin rod.

The Crow incident turned my son off fishing. He was 10. He's now nearly 40 - still doesn't fish. Hope you have better luck with your son.

catch ya'

Don

AJ, first off, I would like to congratulate you on your self control. With some people,that jerk may well have ended up in the drink. I dont condone or suggest violence was the right response but this guy is such an ass. I hope with some persuation, you are able to talk your son into joining you on the river again. I know its been said before but we're not all elitest,insensitive jerks.

I know how sensitve young children are as I have a 4 year old granddaughter that would just fold if someone was talking to her as this idiot did to you and your son. My granddaughter has just started asking if I can take her fishing with me. Just for the record, I would also remove the hook from her lure and I would most likely use a spinng outfit myself. I can't see a single thing wrong with that.

Murray

Angryjonn

I don't believe I would have had the same self control as you. Continue with your son we need more like you. Your son and his generation is the future of the sport and the resource.

As someone else said what about the Elitest Purest and his 3 wt. What's the difference.

I only fly fish, C&R, over 90% dry, never hopper dropper and never catch 100's (There aren't many days that you can) that's now but as a kid it was the Red Devil or Bait(can't imagine I did that) that still bring memories and got me into this wonderful sport.

Keep up the teaching Angryjonn.

wow, thats horible. I wouldn't have held my cool like that I can promise that. I can bet that about 90% of us on this forum all have a spin set-up in our closet or garage. Doesn't matter when it was used last, I bring mine everytime I go out. It stays in the trunk most of the time but if it gets to windy to cast properly, I'm still learning and I don't like the sound of the hook wizzing past my ear lobe, I bring it out still and toss a spinner or two. It's not the end of the world I honestly hope your kid gets back out there, Good luck.

Perhaps we need a spin rod day just to show him that other people fish with them too and thats it's not a bad thing. just an idea

Many on this board confuse elite flyfishermen with elitist fly fishermen.

An elite flyfishermen would not have any concern with what form of angling another person was employing.

The elitist probably switched to using a fly rod within the past 5 years, is not very proficient with the rod, and somehow feels that using a spinning rod (or bait) provides an advantage in catching fish, which an elite fly fisherman knows it does not.

I've never seen an elitist fly-fisherman or woman. I have seen elitist people that use fly rods.

Many on this board confuse elite flyfishermen with elitist fly fishermen.

An elite flyfishermen would not have any concern with what form of angling another person was employing.

The elitist probably switched to using a fly rod within the past 5 years, is not very proficient with the rod, and somehow feels that using a spinning rod (or bait) provides an advantage in catching fish, which an elite fly fisherman knows it does not.

I've never seen an elitist fly-fisherman or woman. I have seen elitist people that use fly rods.

Touche.

Guest galsfishtoo

angeryjonn, wow sorry to hear about your experience, what a complete a$$hole! What age range was this guy?

Good for you for keeping your cool in front of your young son. I hope your son will forget about the negative experience and get out fishing with you again!

I think I would have sat sonny i the truck and gone back and turned buddies 9'0 into a 4'6.

Pretty disappointing, I don't think kids forget things like this quite so easily.

I'm almost positive none of us were born with a fly rod in our hands. I was taught to fish from a boat with lures, bait, pickerel rigs, jigs....whatever was working. And also through the ice, always with bait, maggots on wire worm.

As a teenager me and a buddy started to hit up mountain streams while camping with little spinners and it was during this time I started thinking about flyfishing. I'll admit since I started with flies I haven't touched my spin rod but for me I fish mostly dries and it's the act of casting a fly line and focusing intently on a dry floating down a river that really does it for me. It's like meditation really. I don't get the same feeling from a spin rod....although I was chucking huge bait into the fraser for sturgeon and let me tell you each set up has it's advantages. Good luck catching an 8 foot fish on dries.

Anyway get your boy up into the hills for some cutts and some privacy next summer and he'll get over it.