Fly Fusion Forums

Landlord Rant

boy are you a sour puss...something stuck in you...guess Ur salary is a mere pittance, is that because of lack of education..got to love how ppl just go on doing their thing without considering who made it possible in the first place..

.. I do not agree most of the time with Flyfishfairwx, but he said it all in a nut shell...and hopefully you will change ur tune..........Wolfie

Crap why wait for 2012 just end the world right friggen now!!! HAHAHAAA

Yes it is two gay poky things in one day <--poke--<

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

boy are you a sour puss...something stuck in you...guess Ur salary is a mere pittance, is that because of lack of education..got to love how ppl just go on doing their thing without considering who made it possible in the first place..

.. I do not agree most of the time with Flyfishfairwx, but he said it all in a nut shell...and hopefully you will change ur tune..........Wolfie

Welcome to the discussion Wolf man. Your well informed and researched personal comments are always welcome. You must have some serious connections at CRA to get my annual salary from my interweb username...

Insert gay pokey thing here------> <--poke--<

They should change the name from NON FISHING related to NON TOPIC RELATED. :laugh:

Yes, I must admit my participation in the mother of all thread hijacks. Sorry! :rolleyes:

Sometimes I act like the damn, freshly stocked, 6" fingerling who can't resist biting at the first trolled leech, no matter how poorly tied it is... :)

Smitty

Yes, I must admit my participation in the mother of all thread hijacks. Sorry! :rolleyes:

Sometimes I act like the damn, freshly stocked, 6" fingerling who can't resist biting at the first trolled leech, no matter how poorly tied it is... :)

Smitty

I am guilty too - but and there is always a but - I did have a point back there somewhere ...

And to the renters, thank all of the greedy landowners for all of the problems that exist in the rental market now. When I rented in the past you could find all kinds of places that were reasonably priced, clean etc.....but over the last few years the rental market has been flooded with thirty-somethings who think you as a renter should pay their second mortgage, or other landlords who have in many cases doubled their rents....it's pure BS.

S.L. you need to look at how you frame some of your messages, the two of us said basically the same thing. There are some unethical people out there with places to rent. Problem is the way you write the same opinion reminds me of the stories my Grandmother told of fleeing the Bolsheviks in the Ukraine.

So I have a favor to ask, I'm kind of new to the forum and the Calgary FF scene so I want to make a good impression. If you could avoid agreeing with me in the future I'd appreciate it.

<--poke--<

Hey look, my first gay pokey thing!

I subsidize my mortgage on my rental property. My rent is fair. The guy has a dog which is destroying my hardwood but it was destroyed before I moved in. But I still would never allow a cat. They are the worst.

To the OP, I hope you get settled in and find Calgary a nice home. I did the same as you a while back and love it here. There are many douchbags in this city but you just have to filter them out. I wish you and your wife or GF the best of luck. This city has afforded me a good life thus far.

But seriously though, cats are douchebags. If it wasn't a start to serial killing, my gf's cat woulda been dead a long time ago.

I have a rental vacation home in Panorama if anyone wants to rent it. I won't rip you off, promise, but I don't allow pets. I also have a fly rod, have been to Vegas though not recently, and drive a big truck. I have a dog, but don't really like cats. If I had a residential rental property, I would charge the going rate, maybe less if I trusted the tenants, and probably be nice to them. Just like most landlords I had before I bought a house.

As A person who has rented most of his life. I am enjoying this thread.

Yes there are slum lords out there, yes there a horrible tennants out there good we decided that.

But as a renter, you have to shop around to find the right land lord

As a renter I think I am the only one that asks for refrences, and calls them.

the way you have to look at it is the landlord is not doing you a favour renting to you. You are doing a favour renting from him.

you go to a restaurant and the food is craps you don't go there again, and you complain. You have a crppy landlord you look for a new place at your leasure, and find the one best for you.

rules for looking for a rental I follow.

1. ask for references (and call them)

2. never sign a 1st least for more than 6 months (nothing worse than being trapped in a shithole for a year)

3. try to get past utility bills. So you have an idea of what else you got to pay

4. when ever possible never look for a rental in desperation.

like every other big purchase shop smart.

Just want to add a gay pokey thing----> <--poke--<

I hope I can add something to this conversation. I work as a Property Manager and we manage many homes in Calgary. We are required to be licensed real estate agents. Our company has very few properties where the owners will allow pets, a lot has to do with their personal feelings on pets. The other problem that we run into is that in a lot of cases where an owner would probably take a pet with a larger deposit we cannot take it. Landlord/Tenant laws in Alberta state that all deposits collected cannot exceed one months rent. I think that this punishes pet owners. From my point of view (I am a pet owner = mini schnauzer) the government should one day ammend this for just a pet deposit so that people with pets can find accomidation easier and less people have to give up their pets for housing. I don't want to ramble on to much about this but I would say that this is often the reason a lot of reputable property management companies do not allow pets, we have to follow the letter of the law as we are highly regulated. Often renters with pets are better off finding a private landlord as they can often do things outside the letter of the law as they do not have to worry about licensing being pulled.

I would also caution people looking in Calgary as I hear many horror stories from people who are looking to rent, about their last experience. I do not have a lot of first hand experience at being taken advantage of by a landlord as I have only rented a couple times and all ended fairly. I would say that private landlords have some advantages as they can have greater flexibility and sometimes can be super easy to deal with. On the other hand I think that if you are dealing with a larger management company you know what you are getting. Most have reputations for how they so business and I think most do business fairly.

My Advice on renting. DOCUMENT. Your move-in report is the most important part of the process and if concerned you should document everything that could be a concern.

Now my defence of difficult landlords. I think we all would like to look on the positive side of things when dealing with a renter, but once you have been a landlord for a while you find that some of the nicest people (or seemingly nice) can be the ones that end up screwing you. I know we try to be understanding and work with our tenants but I find the more I bend the better chance I have of being taken advantage of. It is often easier/more secure to just hold everything to the black and white. So like all things their are bad businesses and bad customers but I hope something in this rambling can help someone in the Calgary rental market out.

Guy

Smitty wrote;

You're right I shouldn't judge, your Vegas trip, new fly rod, and second mortgage is justified and far more important than affordable housing, even if it means gouging renters. And really, I mean they're getting a gift basket.

Keep it coming SL, your posts speak volumes on your thinking.

And if retire early, and decide to give back, volunteer, promote and give to charities, where does that fall on your moral spectrum? Yeah, you see what happens when you make assumptions? :)

Remember, the most successful capitalist pig you and I know SL is a fellow by the name of Bill Gates. Besides making truly crappy operating systems (I'm reserving judgment on Windows 7), being prosecuted by the DOJ for monopolies, he has,...wait for it...inoculated literally hundreds of thousands of poor people, and has given millions of $ away. Buffett has also given billions to this organization, with the caveat that Gates spend x % per year.

Its called the Bill Gates foundation; and it is the largest charitable organization in the world. I know its beyond your understanding to accept that people who work hard may actually give back, but next time you are in a museum, arts center, or music hall, take a look at those plaques at the front acknowledging the patrons/supporters. Man, was that Husky Oil I just saw that helped build my world class theatre!!!

Once more, oh the humanity!

-----------

But keeping judging SL, keep judging. You're doing a bang up job. I'm sure God and Jesus are monitoring this thread with interest, looking forward to the day they can retire, and have you take over.

------------

In regards to the last couple of posts, bang on. That's why I don't use the word 'deposits'. There is only one deposit, a security deposit. Everything associated with a pet is a non-refundable fee. Oh, and I explain this to my tenants; they're often not aware of this or some of their other rights.

Smitty

P.S. I've gone from yesterday's frustration to today's amusement. Keeping pitching SL, I like the right field fence. ;)

Edit P.P.S. If charging rent = what the market will bear, and is usually within 5% of all the other similar properties nearby, then yes, I "gouge" constantly.

Guest Sundancefisher
I subsidize my mortgage on my rental property. My rent is fair. The guy has a dog which is destroying my hardwood but it was destroyed before I moved in. But I still would never allow a cat. They are the worst.

To the OP, I hope you get settled in and find Calgary a nice home. I did the same as you a while back and love it here. There are many douchbags in this city but you just have to filter them out. I wish you and your wife or GF the best of luck. This city has afforded me a good life thus far.

But seriously though, cats are douchebags. If it wasn't a start to serial killing, my gf's cat woulda been dead a long time ago.

Pets are all very similar. I have had either a dog or two cats my whole life and both have had their problems and benefits. Our old house had massive problems with odors from a couple dogs peeing inside. When cats smell that...they may want to pee. Ours tried...but we treated the carpet well and encouraged better behavior in a gentle fashion and did not have problems. I have seen dogs chew wood molding and furniture, barf, scratch floors, dig up carpet, shed like crazy, break doors, pee and poop in houses, destroy back yards with digging and tear up or kill plants and grass with peeing, destroy garbage etc.

Cats can pee and poo, barf, scratch carpet and furniture, climb drapes...

But in the end...if the owner is smart, kind, considerate, responsible and fair...and is careful to not buy a psychotic cat or dog (abused pets are often hard to understand as they do not act normally) you should be okay. Some cats are bigger than small dogs and act more like a dog then a cat. Some dogs are the size of little rodents...rats on ropes we call them. Dogs can be really yappy...cats can be needy for attention when sleeping. Dogs need to be let out to pee and poo...cats have litter boxes. As someone that has cleaned up after dogs and cats...cats are overall easier. Cats can be left alone with some to feed and clean after them for a couple weeks...dogs need a kennel or have to go with you...

Lots of pros and cons...being this totally rude and disgusting to a segment of this boards users shows a lack of common sense for a moderator... To some people who are a lot more cat and dog lover types...your commenting on killing an animal would leave them appalled and request a sincere apology. I am sure others are thinking it...I just wrote it and I am not a fanatic. Maybe you should stick to a pet rock...

IMHO...

Guest Sundancefisher
sigh

No sigh needed rick

While I agree 100% that any landlord can restrict access to pets...we don't need to degrade a discussion with that particular direction of thought. There are enough wackos out their without promoting that.

Smitty wrote;

"But this is the problem with yours and SL's stance; that if someone were to purchase a 2nd home to rent out to help pay (1) bills, (2) pay down a mortgage, (3) buy an extra flyrod , (4) Go to Vegas every 3 months, who are you to judge? You want to talk greed, then stick to Michael Moore movies and the Wall Street fat cats and leave middle class people, whose great sin is to create an extra income stream, alone."

You're right I shouldn't judge, your Vegas trip, new fly rod, and second mortgage is justified and far more important than affordable housing, even if it means gouging renters. And really, I mean they're getting a gift basket.

And Smitty, I do live in the capitalist centre of western Canada, but that doesn't make me a hypocrite. My wife and I, unfortunately, don't have second properties that would allow us to move (right now). And on that note and that topic, I have lived in two countries in Europe and four different provinces.....the standard of living in all of these places has been equal (better in Europe) to Alberta...and none of them had oil. The only difference was there were not so many Hummers or Ford F350s.

My job is funded by a federal body by the way.

I think the most telling line here is "my wife and I ,UNFORTUNATELY dont have second properties that would allow us to.................................".

Sounds like an extreme case of sour grapes to me.

Im guessing it isnt so much that SL is against landlords getting the going rate, hes just pissed he missed the boat/doesnst have a rental property himself. Everything else he has come up with is simply cover for the green monster hes fighting

I think the most telling line here is "my wife and I ,UNFORTUNATELY dont have second properties that would allow us to.................................".

Sounds like an extreme case of sour grapes to me.

Im guessing it isnt so much that SL is against landlords getting the going rate, hes just pissed he missed the boat/doesnst have a rental property himself. Everything else he has come up with is simply cover for the green monster hes fighting

Wrong.

I feel you about the cats. I have 4 cats, and am currently looking for a new place.

I really understand both sides of the story. Some cats are sh*t heads and like to destroy everything they can get their hands on. My blinds on my front window are proof. But will a cat damage a house? no. The only real problems cats pose is of course the obvious, messing on the floor/ spraying. A cat cannot physically damage a house, or the value of the property. Saying a dog can't and a cat can obviously leads me to believe some people are lacking parts of their brain that work. Cats are trained like dogs where to use the bathroom, if they are trained they won't miss. Can't say the same for a dog, a dog can literally destroy a yard. The house I am renting now had a dog, which basically destroyed the yard leaving big holes beside the porch and the fence and a fairly large portion of the back yard completely baron of any greenery. Scratch marks on the once nice hardwood floors. Since being here, my cats have never once missed the litter box, the only thing damaged were a set of blinds and some odds and ends laying around my house that my cats decided to play with. Nothing severe. Certainly not enough damage to ask for a full month's rent in damage deposit.

I'll never forget the time I lived in some sh*thole apartment off 17th ave for 2 weeks, and the dumb broad decided to keep my $1000 damage deposit. Even though I only lived there for about 2 weeks before I decided I had to get the hell out of there. That was really unreal. Oh yeah, the place was more clean when I moved out than when I moved in.

Honestly, I was really astounded when I looked at a place and they asked for a credit check. Get real. I have 3 credit cards and my credit is great, but I'd never give some snob a credit check on me because they don't like the way I look. i would gladly give them references, but not a credit check. I've never missed a month's rent since my first place and don't intend to. Then again, I'm not even sure why I'm complaining, a good majority of the landlords here are scumbags and crooks and it's never gonna change. Maximum $ for minimum quality.

I feel you about the cats. I have 4 cats, and am currently looking for a new place.

I really understand both sides of the story. Some cats are sh*t heads and like to destroy everything they can get their hands on. My blinds on my front window are proof. But will a cat damage a house? no. The only real problems cats pose is of course the obvious, messing on the floor/ spraying. A cat cannot physically damage a house, or the value of the property. Saying a dog can't and a cat can obviously leads me to believe some people are lacking parts of their brain that work. Cats are trained like dogs where to use the bathroom, if they are trained they won't miss. Can't say the same for a dog, a dog can literally destroy a yard. The house I am renting now had a dog, which basically destroyed the yard leaving big holes beside the porch and the fence and a fairly large portion of the back yard completely baron of any greenery. Scratch marks on the once nice hardwood floors. Since being here, my cats have never once missed the litter box, the only thing damaged were a set of blinds and some odds and ends laying around my house that my cats decided to play with. Nothing severe. Certainly not enough damage to ask for a full month's rent in damage deposit.

I'll never forget the time I lived in some sh*thole apartment off 17th ave for 2 weeks, and the dumb broad decided to keep my $1000 damage deposit. Even though I only lived there for about 2 weeks before I decided I had to get the hell out of there. That was really unreal. Oh yeah, the place was more clean when I moved out than when I moved in.

Honestly, I was really astounded when I looked at a place and they asked for a credit check. Get real. I have 3 credit cards and my credit is great, but I'd never give some snob a credit check on me because they don't like the way I look. i would gladly give them references, but not a credit check. I've never missed a month's rent since my first place and don't intend to. Then again, I'm not even sure why I'm complaining, a good majority of the landlords here are scumbags and crooks and it's never gonna change. Maximum $ for minimum quality.

had 2 tenants tell me " I never missed a payment" when they wanted to sign a rental agreement. They even had references (obviuosly bogus) and then bounced checks. Since then i always do credit checks and have found that most guys who get in a snit about providing credit info likley have something to hide.

If it wasn't for a shitty landlord It would have taken me longer to start saving for my first house.

lol! I admire your ability to make lemonade and find the silver lining!

Anyways, a centuries old debate; as long as people have rights to own property, there's gonna be crappy landlords and crappy tenants...

Smitty

had 2 tenants tell me " I never missed a payment" when they wanted to sign a rental agreement. They even had references (obviuosly bogus) and then bounced checks. Since then i always do credit checks and have found that most guys who get in a snit about providing credit info likley have something to hide.
Well that's fine it might be true, but you obviously didn't do your homework. And you're right, I have something to hide, it's called "personal information". Would you like my SIN card number too? :rolleyes:

Well that's fine it might be true, but you obviously didn't do your homework. And you're right, I have something to hide, it's called "personal information". Would you like my SIN card number too? :rolleyes:

they supplied the same iron clad promise you believe is sufficient ( "I never missed a payment in my life" and buddies for references). Did as much homework as i thought necessary (called the references who proceeded to BS me). If it wasnt for a couple of crappy/dishonest renters i wouldnt have been forced to ask for all this "personal info". Used to just trust people at their word and got burned. Perhaps the landlords you have had bad experiences with have also been ripped off.

Here's the lowest of a scumbag landlord. Rented a house in Edmonton, $500 damage deposit. House was built in 1908. Kitchen counter had a small piece missing off the surface that had been glued in prior to us renting. It came off about a week before we needed to vacate due to the home being slated for demolition. Yep, during the process of doing the move out report the scumbag noted the missing piece and charged us $20. The home was torn down a week later.

they supplied the same iron clad promise you believe is sufficient ( "I never missed a payment in my life" and buddies for references). Did as much homework as i thought necessary (called the references who proceeded to BS me). If it wasnt for a couple of crappy/dishonest renters i wouldnt have been forced to ask for all this "personal info". Used to just trust people at their word and got burned. Perhaps the landlords you have had bad experiences with have also been ripped off.
Well, you are right I guess. I finally gave in and gave away my credit check today for a house that I like. I'll tell you the story.

First off, I went to go meet the guy yesterday and look at the place. I liked it alot, it was perfect. Today, I went to go meet this guy to give him the application and provided paperwork and pay stubs from me and my girlfriend. Here's where the rediculous landlord BS ensued. First I gave him the app. which included Me, my girlfriend, and my little brother who is disabled and who is my responsibility to take care of. First, he asked what my brother was doing. I told him like stated on the app. he was disabled, and I was taking care of him. he didn't like that idea and asked "why" he didn't go to school or work. "besides being disabled, I don't know why he isn't doing anything, I'm paying the rent along with my girlfriend" so I told him. Then he told me and I qoute, it was "weird" that he didn't do anything. Right. It was apparently "weird" that a disabled person doesn't do anything. Obviously my pay stub wasn't large enough for his liking, even though I could easily afford double the rent plus living expenses every month by myself without any help from my girlfriend. But, not the point. Then he asked me why my girl's pay stubs were different colored for each month, and started to make small insinuations they were fake. Now, I can see cause for concern if it wasn't stamped by the government. My girl works for the provincial courthouse, does he honestly think someone is that stupid to forge a pay stub by the government? at this time I knew this man was a complete and total idiot going on a power trip because he wanted to be picky about who he rented the house to. Then I took that stub he was holding and ripped it up and told him I'd get him more. Then he told me he might do a credit check. Contrary to what I said before, I buckled down and said fine, I didn't even struggle. It was worth it, the house is after all, suiting for us. Then after that, he proceeded to tell me he does criminal checks sometimes too. I laughed, told him to go ahead, I go into the US all the time for business without a single problem, never been charged. Neither has my girl, neither has my bro. Besides all this hassle and BS of trying to get a mediocre house, I didn't appreciate the insinuations and stare downs I recieved while handing in my application form. It was 10X easier buying a $50,000 car with low interest and higher payments. That's my point about this whole thing, landlords are 90% of the time just ignorant a-holes. If what I just presented to you is not rediculous I dunno what is. He didn't even own the house, a construction company does. Obviously someone was pissed I am up to par and can afford to live at the fuhrer's house. I'm sure he would have enjoyed, or may enjoy telling me I didn't get the place tomorrow. We will see.

If you do get it, please please please familiarize yourself with the "Residential Tenancy Act", if you aren't already familiar with it! This has "potential problem" written all over it (seeing that this person you are dealing with is a "representative" of the owner or management company)! As a landlord, I would also suggest that you go "month to month" with this one if possible, just in case (definitely nothing more then a 6 month lease!)!

P

Well, you are right I guess. I finally gave in and gave away my credit check today for a house that I like. I'll tell you the story.

First off, I went to go meet the guy yesterday and look at the place. I liked it alot, it was perfect. Today, I went to go meet this guy to give him the application and provided paperwork and pay stubs from me and my girlfriend. Here's where the rediculous landlord BS ensued. First I gave him the app. which included Me, my girlfriend, and my little brother who is disabled and who is my responsibility to take care of. First, he asked what my brother was doing. I told him like stated on the app. he was disabled, and I was taking care of him. he didn't like that idea and asked "why" he didn't go to school or work. "besides being disabled, I don't know why he isn't doing anything, I'm paying the rent along with my girlfriend" so I told him. Then he told me and I qoute, it was "weird" that he didn't do anything. Right. It was apparently "weird" that a disabled person doesn't do anything. Obviously my pay stub wasn't large enough for his liking, even though I could easily afford double the rent plus living expenses every month by myself without any help from my girlfriend. But, not the point. Then he asked me why my girl's pay stubs were different colored for each month, and started to make small insinuations they were fake. Now, I can see cause for concern if it wasn't stamped by the government. My girl works for the provincial courthouse, does he honestly think someone is that stupid to forge a pay stub by the government? at this time I knew this man was a complete and total idiot going on a power trip because he wanted to be picky about who he rented the house to. Then I took that stub he was holding and ripped it up and told him I'd get him more. Then he told me he might do a credit check. Contrary to what I said before, I buckled down and said fine, I didn't even struggle. It was worth it, the house is after all, suiting for us. Then after that, he proceeded to tell me he does criminal checks sometimes too. I laughed, told him to go ahead, I go into the US all the time for business without a single problem, never been charged. Neither has my girl, neither has my bro. Besides all this hassle and BS of trying to get a mediocre house, I didn't appreciate the insinuations and stare downs I recieved while handing in my application form. It was 10X easier buying a $50,000 car with low interest and higher payments. That's my point about this whole thing, landlords are 90% of the time just ignorant a-holes. If what I just presented to you is not rediculous I dunno what is. He didn't even own the house, a construction company does. Obviously someone was pissed I am up to par and can afford to live at the fuhrer's house. I'm sure he would have enjoyed, or may enjoy telling me I didn't get the place tomorrow. We will see.