Fly Fusion Forums

Tim Horton's Litter

In this day and age, I think "programs like this" are compulsory!! Add to the fact that they shouldn't even hesitate to be industry leaders and be the 1st to offer biodegradable cups/utensils/plates/bags, etc. and if that technology isn't available spear head the development of that technology (much like Patagonia/Madden Mills did with recycled fleece - not a direct plug for Patagonia, but nonetheless). If there is not a market, create a market!!

P

Peter,

Tim Horton is a leader in this. I have eaten Chili there that came in a bread bowl!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It boils down to two completely different customer bases, and what their expectations are of each said company. How Starbucks is marketed, programs as you mention are expected.

I would betcha that if Tim Horton made his cups out of a material that never degraded and was open strip mined in the whale back his customers would be happy if it saved them 2 bits on a cup of joe. That is just my hunch though.

WRONG but right too.

Starbucks is a gimmick, an American placebo, an artificial flavouring, they give away the grounds because they don't have to pay to have them hauled away some dumpsters are payed by weight others by frequency of emptying.. ..

The grounds are good compost and where needs good compost more then at the dump.. Tim Hortons is doing the environment a favor, the non bleached filters minor.. I would rather fresh paper then somebodies recycled snot rag. .Have you seen what really goes into a recycle bin ewww. More damage done by The Canadian Fly Fishers glossy mag then flimsy coffee filters..

I would rather a waxed paper cup it will break down just slower.. then a plastic reusable cup that gets thrown in the dumpnever to break down , i or the fancy styro cups that some other places use. plus the cost of manufacturing and the resources used

but the strip mining thing s way out there...

Staryucks coffee has to be flavoured to cover the taste of that crap.. you should see the look on the face of one of them when you ask for a regular black coffee, they know it is going to taste sucky so they ask you if you want the flavour stuff..

Your right, I stand corrected!! Though how much TP do you use with the "after effects" of eating said bread bowl of chile!! :P Somehow with me it always goes in the direction of talking $hit, eh!! LoL :P

P

Peter,

Tim Horton is a leader in this. I have eaten Chili there that came in a bread bowl!

WRONG but right too.

Starbucks is a gimmick, an American placebo, an artificial flavouring, they give away the grounds because they don't have to pay to have them hauled away some dumpsters are payed by weight others by frequency of emptying.. ..

The grounds are good compost and where needs good compost more then at the dump.. Tim Hortons is doing the environment a favor, the non bleached filters minor.. I would rather fresh paper then somebodies recycled snot rag. .Have you seen what really goes into a recycle bin ewww. More damage done by The Canadian Fly Fishers glossy mag then flimsy coffee filters..

I would rather a waxed paper cup it will break down just slower.. then a plastic reusable cup that gets thrown in the dumpnever to break down , i or the fancy styro cups that some other places use. plus the cost of manufacturing and the resources used

but the strip mining thing s way out there...

Staryucks coffee has to be flavoured to cover the taste of that crap.. you should see the look on the face of one of them when you ask for a regular black coffee, they know it is going to taste sucky so they ask you if you want the flavour stuff..

Ya the strip mine comment was a bit out there. I think that Tim's customers are not as worried about recycling, paper or refillable cups, the ennvironment, etc, as Starbuck patrons. Big corps are not stupid and this is obvious in their marketing. Yes (Peter) even all the do good programs like Patagonia as you mention are profit driven. You bet that Patagonia has a spreadsheet that shows how their programs with the 1% for the planet, and recycling for fleece is profit driven. Simply put this is their niche.

Reading your post fairwx it looks like we may agree on a thing or two...

All this typing is making me want a coffee. I think I will go to the Horton drive thru, get my go cup and ask them to put it in a bag for good measure. I may have to fill up the Hummer on the way, she is low on fuel from all the warm-up idling with this cold weather. Thank god for my auto starter.

Ya the strip mine comment was a bit out there. I think that Tim's customers are not as worried about recycling, paper or refillable cups, the ennvironment, etc, as Starbuck patrons. Big corps are not stupid and this is obvious in their marketing.

Reading your post it looks like we may agree on a thing or two...

The lids on The Profit Tims cups is recyclable.. I think (I have not been there, in years and then only for a plain coffee ) but StarSucks cups are a form of Styrofoam ? that soft dimply stuff is just plastic ?

The flavouring stuff is nothing but trans fat filled artificial flavouring, so SturBlecks is trying to kill their customers...and yes here is an Starsmucks appropriate gay poky thing <--poke--<

Well... Not according to Yvon's autobiography... But realistically, maybe more of a "responsible" or "sustainable" profit (but yes, profit nonetheless)...

P

Yes (Peter) even all the do good programs like Patagonia as you mention are profit driven.

Reading your post it looks like we may agree on a thing or two...

How about Timmies coffee @ $ 10.00 per cup - $2.00 if you bring your own cup.

I always carry a stainless cup with me in the truck.

What does tick me off big time is the "Roll Up the Rim" thing.

If you ask for coffee in your own cup, they still hand you a cup for your very own.

Now I get to garbage an empty unused cup. If you attempt to refuse it, the staff is pissed.

Don

If you ask for coffee in your own cup, they still hand you a cup for your very own.

Now I get to garbage an empty unused cup. If you attempt to refuse it, the staff is pissed.

Don

$10.CND that is about how much a starsucks double expresso nonfat double foam, double cream, tofu carmel syrup shot triple stirred vente costs..

even $2 is more then a normal Timmies cost..

But and there is always a but - I agree the Rollllllllllllllllllll up the rim garbage thing is bad, they should give you a free coffee if you return the rolled up cup instead of putting it the ditch..

I refuse all the time, but yes seems unfair, eh...

P

Don

Same same!! $2 at timmy ho's or $2 for a SB's (drip coffee), less in your own mug - really not that much difference in cost (except for taste even at that there is better tasting coffee out there then even Starbuck's actually - Roastery, Planet, etc.).

P

$10.CND that is about how much a starsucks double expresso nonfat double foam, double cream, tofu carmel syrup shot triple stirred vente costs..

even $2 is more then a normal Timmies cost..

But and there is always a but - I agree the Rollllllllllllllllllll up the rim garbage thing is bad, they should give you a free coffee if you return the rolled up cup instead of putting it the ditch..

Same same!! $2 at timmy ho's or $2 for a SB's (drip coffee), less in your own mug - really not that much difference in cost (except for taste even at that there is better tasting coffee out there then even Starbuck's actually - Roastery, Planet, etc.).

P

It is the consistency that get me, The Tim Horton coffee is the only one that is consistent, the rest you never know if you are going to get fresh or burnt..

I usually try all the others and even the independents and it just turned out that TH was the most consistent

The old man has something here... Better then Timmmy Ho's fo sho!!

P

Fo sho I would not step in that house of grease if they had the best coffee in the friggin world..

I despise MacDonalds..

They are an insidious disgusting blight on the food chain...

MacDonalds, MTV and Nintendo are a large part in the down fall of Canadian youth..

I would rather start drinking Army coffee again!!!!

Fo sho I would not step in that house of grease if they had the best coffee in the friggin world..

I despise MacDonalds..

They are an insidious disgusting blight on the food chain...

MacDonalds, MTV and Nintendo are a large part in the down fall of Canadian youth..

I would rather start drinking Army coffee again!!!!

The best place for a young lad to get his first part-time job is McD's.

It is the consistency that get me, The Tim Horton coffee is the only one that is consistent, the rest you never know if you are going to get fresh or burnt..

I usually try all the others and even the independents and it just turned out that TH was the most consistent

Yep at timmies you can count on the coffee consistently being burnt, and also as hot as molten lava. I think they actually melt down tires to make their brew so they may actually be helping the environment.

I would not drink tims coffee if it were served to me in bed by scantily clad women. It's McTimmies as far as I'm concerned although rottens has better coffee no doubt.

For the record I don't do starbucks either, I'm the kind of coffee snob who grinds and brews in a press to very precise standards. I will drink other coffee to be polite or show gratitude but that's it.

As far as the litter, well take your pick from the long list of crap timmies is contributing to. The drive through line ups with 50 000 vehicles idling away at any given time. Think of how many cars there are at any given moment waiting in a tims drive through at every location across Canada. A lot and a lot of cups and little donut boxes and the little paper that covers the little donuts.

I refuse to support them.

Yep at timmies you can count on the coffee consistently being burnt, and also as hot as molten lava. I think they actually melt down tires to make their brew so they may actually be helping the environment.

I would not drink tims coffee if it were served to me in bed by scantily clad women. It's McTimmies as far as I'm concerned although rottens has better coffee no doubt.

For the record I don't do starbucks either, I'm the kind of coffee snob who grinds and brews in a press to very precise standards. I will drink other coffee to be polite or show gratitude but that's it.

As far as the litter, well take your pick from the long list of crap timmies is contributing to. The drive through line ups with 50 000 vehicles idling away at any given time. Think of how many cars there are at any given moment waiting in a tims drive through at every location across Canada. A lot and a lot of cups and little donut boxes and the little paper that covers the little donuts.

I refuse to support them.

By that long winded "I do not like Timmies" then you should not frequent Macdonalds or any other fast food puke joint, as I am pretty sure Macpukes had drive troughs before Timmies and Allen and Wright had them along time ago..

I can remember seeing Macdonalds garbage before Tims, but in true it all comes from the same animal!!!!

FTR I also Grind my own beans I(we) buy it in 5lb bags from Vanhoutte here in LA and grind it fresh each time we want coffee at home, on the road it is Tims If Macdipshits was burning and the only liquid I had was a cup of Tims coffee , well I hope the FD saves the foundation..

FTR = For the record

McDonalds is just as bad if not worse. From there you see the entire bags filled with debris in the ditches. I don't do fast food or drive through as a rule. On the rare occasion I do it's never Mc's, I'll admit I've eaten my fair share of it in the past and I'm just over it. As far as Timmies coffee I've never liked it.

Really, and I'm not trying to offend anyone, but frequenting these types of places breed laziness and waste. I think Tim Hurtens is the perfect model for what is going horribly wrong in our society. I know it's the tip of the ice berg but I would expect more from a beloved Canadian company.

On the other hand they seem to be doing some good by only hiring the slow and dim. Underprivileged people need jobs too. Sorry I know that was uncalled for but my position against Tim Hurtens is pretty firm, if for no other reason than it takes something a lot more than bad coffee and oil byproducts to make me wait in line.

I drink McDonald's coffee pretty much every morning, sometimes with a muffin. I use the drive through while listening to ESPN on Sirius. Usually I throw my cup from the day before away in the trash can at the front of the drive through, sometimes a couple of days worth. I always say hello and sometimes have a brief conversation with the always nice, usually Asian ladies who work there. The coffee is always good, usually very hot, and always exactly how I ordered it. At no point do I feel I am doing anything to ruin the environment or feel that I am frequenting a blight on our national, or international, landscape.

I drink McDonald's coffee pretty much every morning, sometimes with a muffin. I use the drive through while listening to ESPN on Sirius. Usually I throw my cup from the day before away in the trash can at the front of the drive through, sometimes a couple of days worth. I always say hello and sometimes have a brief conversation with the always nice, usually Asian ladies who work there. The coffee is always good, usually very hot, and always exactly how I ordered it. At no point do I feel I am doing anything to ruin the environment or feel that I am frequenting a blight on our national, or international, landscape.

.....you're just wasteful - that's all.

Rick as a suggestion one really simple thing you can do to actually help the environment is to use a reusable mug... There are those darn rose coloured glasses again... :)

P