Fly Fusion Forums

Tim Horton's Litter

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree Kurt! People need to start using their own mugs (not sure why some do not - at other coffee establishments you actually get a discount, not sure about Timmy Ho's as I don't drink their swill LoL).

P

Is it time for people to pay a 5 or 10 cent deposit when they buy a Tim Horton's coffee?

Recently I've noticed there's so much timmies garbage out there that it's starting to out number aluminum cans...

Is it time for people to pay a 5 or 10 cent deposit when they buy a Tim Horton's coffee?

Recently I've noticed there's so much timmies garbage out there that it's starting to out number aluminum cans...

Ya paying more for a coffee should solve the litter problem... heh- love the logic on that one!

I am glad not too many people have jumped on the PC bandwagon with their own mug. Just imagine how much longer the drive thru line at timmies would be if they had to wait for the customer at the window to fill their refillable mug?

All those cars idling longer puking exhaust would surely be worse for the environment than a few cups in the ditch.

The garbage gives the inmate work programs and the 4H something to pick up in the spring. This is a self esteem builder for both groups.

Cups in the ditch are a win win the way I see it.

The garbage gives the inmate work programs and the 4H something to pick up in the spring.

as well as for some ffc board volunteers.

i think shutting down drive-thrus, take out containers or forcing them to only use bio-degradable packaging altogether will help too.

it's starting to out number aluminum cans...

which there is usually a deposit for?

The garbage gives the inmate work programs and the 4H something to pick up in the spring. This is a self esteem builder for both groups.

I didn’t see it that way Canadensis, I wouldn’t want to see inmates out of work or suffering from lack of self esteem…

Since we are talking about Timmies, I hate the drive through line that ends up on the main road more than the cups. It's a pain in the ass when you are driving and very dangerous when you are cycling. I have had a couple close calls on the bike and that made me change my bike route around Timmies in the morning.

Well then you should just give up your bike and drive a car like normal people!! <--poke--< Sheesh!!

P

P.S. Just kidding! :P

Since we are talking about Timmies, I hate the drive through line that ends up on the main road more than the cups. It's a pain in the ass when you are driving and very dangerous when you are cycling. I have had a couple close calls on the bike and that made me change my bike route around Timmies in the morning.

I agree that "to go cups" are becoming a huge problem and around here especially from Tim Horton's. I'm not sure if a deposit is really the way to go, however, as I know tons of people who are already too lazy to recycle cans, never mind adding another factor. I think the first step is really to enforce that these companies use containers that are made from recycled materials and that are also completely biodegradable. This doesn't really solve the problem of litter, but I'd rather see 20 cups in the ditch that I know won't be harmful and will completely break down than 10 of the current ones. Using recycled materials also removes or limits the tremendous demand on some resources that these companies require.

which there is usually a deposit for?

Yes, aluminum cans do have a deposit and if they didn’t there would even be more out there. Recycling does make a difference...

I agree that "to go cups" are becoming a huge problem and around here especially from Tim Horton's. I'm not sure if a deposit is really the way to go, however, as I know tons of people who are already too lazy to recycle cans, never mind adding another factor. I think the first step is really to enforce that these companies use containers that are made from recycled materials and that are also completely biodegradable. This doesn't really solve the problem of litter, but I'd rather see 20 cups in the ditch that I know won't be harmful and will completely break down than 10 of the current ones. Using recycled materials also removes or limits the tremendous demand on some resources that these companies require.

Good point, Tim's is under pressure now to make their take away containers with recyclable material, hopefully this will take effect.

Ya paying more for a coffee should solve the litter problem... heh- love the logic on that one!

It would...that's why there's bottle pickers

I am glad not too many people have jumped on the PC bandwagon with their own mug. Just imagine how much longer the drive thru line at timmies would be if they had to wait for the customer at the window to fill their refillable mug?

Not much longer- see below.

All those cars idling longer puking exhaust would surely be worse for the environment than a few cups in the ditch.

That's why it's better not to use the drive thru.

They'll always be garbage to pick-up, although often times garbage can also be erased with a delete button.

?

Good point, Tim's is under pressure now to make their take away containers with recyclable material, hopefully this will take effect.

awesome. good news.

so if the cups are recyclable, someone's still gonna throw it out the window, and it's trash.

so...tim's coffe cups will biodegrade over time, the lids not so much. same with many other fast food outlets delivery methods. some of it does break down over time, some ends up in plastic island forever [and eventually your bloodstream, but that's another topic].

try counting superstore/safeway/coop bags or macd's drink straws in the bow river valley during the spring cleanup. or bic lighters. or bits of foam from meat wrapping. or the lid from any plastic drinking bottle. yes and tim's lids. and strabuxx too. range balls. etc etc.

i'm just sayin don't just pick on timmy ho. he's not the problem, man.

i'm also sayin that in general littering is a problem. and plastic, and overpackaging.

betcha that with the recent pressure on stores there's way way fewer plastic shopping bags this spring, but there will still be some.

Obviously never had to pick up other people's garbage... When I was a kid I got to pick garbage out of a half-mile of secondary highway frontage ditch that bordered our home place. Taught me really fast not to throw anything out the window. Too bad so many people in the world are so oblivious to their own actions, and have yet to realize that their mothers are not on standby to clean up after them.

I wonder how many of you that are crying about Tims litter causing havoc to the environment live in a home with more than one john per person and house over 2000 s/f, have a rec property, live in the berbs and drive to work every day, and own multiple household vehicles?

But I guess it is all OK because you use a refillable "go" cup?

Sorry but if suddenly all paper go cups were outlawed throughout the world it would not ammount to a hill of beans difference with anything.

All the yuppie Moms in my neighborhood hanging at Starbucks sipping latte's out of reusable mugs with thier hybrid Escalades and Tahoe's in the parking lot really do think that they are making a difference.

Oh the hypocrisy....

And there may have just been a little bit of satire in my first post, just a bit..

Dune!

Don't forget about all the smokers that toss their butts!!

P

awesome. good news.

so if the cups are recyclable, someone's still gonna throw it out the window, and it's trash.

so...tim's coffe cups will biodegrade over time, the lids not so much. same with many other fast food outlets delivery methods. some of it does break down over time, some ends up in plastic island forever [and eventually your bloodstream, but that's another topic].

try counting superstore/safeway/coop bags or macd's drink straws in the bow river valley during the spring cleanup. or bic lighters. or bits of foam from meat wrapping. or the lid from any plastic drinking bottle. yes and tim's lids. and strabuxx too. range balls. etc etc.

i'm just sayin don't just pick on timmy ho. he's not the problem, man.

i'm also sayin that in general littering is a problem. and plastic, and overpackaging.

betcha that with the recent pressure on stores there's way way fewer plastic shopping bags this spring, but there will still be some.

not seeing tim's cups in ditches.

again oh the hypocrisy.

Banff and Jasper allow no drive thru's for whatever reason yet hotels, restuarants, gift shops, roads, golf courses, tour busses, etc right in the prime wildlife corridor....

Easy to stomp out the small pointless things and turn a blind eye to the biggest culprits. Oh ya I forgot you cannot use a lead split shot in the Parks either...