Fly Fusion Forums

Wading Boots

Birddog

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This may or may not spawn another entire thread but...

Be aware, if you are buying boots to last a number of years, there is a possibility felt soles may be banned in the next couple of years. For those who go through a pair of boots in a year, this isn't a big deal. For someone who doesn't fish 100+ times a year and is planning a major expenditure on good boots, it may impact your decision...

I have incredibly bad knees - arthritis in one and the other was destroyed in a skiing accident - so I need boots with excellent support. I bought a pair of Simms G4 boots this year and they're comparable in comfort and support to my Zamberlan hiking boots. Very easy to get in and out of with the speed lacing system that doesn't break like the Boa system on the Korkers. My only suggestion is to ditch the factory laces off the bat and get a pair of kevlar laces instead.

I'm in the market too, having worn through the toes on mine. I'm wondering about the traction and durability of the new felt-less boots. The Simms come with Vibram soles, which sound good for durability, but not so much for traction. Patagonia has what they call "sticky rubber", which sounds good for traction, but the name reminds me of those Specialized Umma Gumma MTB tires from the '90s that wore out in just a few rides.

Anyone have personal experience with these?

Wow I'm kinda wondering how one actually wears down the "toes" of their boots!! You must be dragging your toes when you walk?! LoL

I wear Patagonia Riverwalker in felt/studs and they are very comfortable (and light) - read some pretty good reviews on the "sticky rubber" but haven't used them (see the patagonia website for customer reviews)... Simms seem a bit beefier (and heavier), but can't go wrong with either as both their warrantees are stellar (if you'd ever need them warranteed).

P

I'm in the market too, having worn through the toes on mine. I'm wondering about the traction and durability of the new felt-less boots. The Simms come with Vibram soles, which sound good for durability, but not so much for traction. Patagonia has what they call "sticky rubber", which sounds good for traction, but the name reminds me of those Specialized Umma Gumma MTB tires from the '90s that wore out in just a few rides.

I should qualify my response as I have a very hard to fit foot (narrow) so some of the boot manufactures I couldn't even consider (even with neo stocking feet)... I think Simms fit very wide, Patagonia, not so much!!

P

Wow I'm kinda wondering how one actually wears down the "toes" of their boots!! You must be dragging your toes when you walk?! LoL

I wear Patagonia Riverwalker in felt/studs and they are very comfortable (and light) - read some pretty good reviews on the "sticky rubber" but haven't used them (see the patagonia website for customer reviews)... Simms seem a bit beefier (and heavier), but can't go wrong with either as both their warrantees are stellar (if you'd ever need them warranteed).

P

Simms Freestone. Great support and they don't look like moon boots. Only complaint is they have shrunk a bit, many wet/dry cycles. They'll be perfect for wet wading next summer. I probably have 80 days or so on them this year and I'm a fairly big guy, no quality issues at all. Next pair will be vibram.

I have first hand experience. The new Simms Vibram sole has poor traction on freestone streams with slick algae covered boulders and cobble. Beware! They fail where felt works. You will have to put studs on Vibram for traction on slick rock. That said: Simms is a great company and has more than proved itself to make fine products. I've used many of them for years. Once again; the studless Vibram sole has serious limitations where safety on slick rock is a concern!

Having rock climbed in various formulations of sticky rubber soled climbing shoes I'm very skeptical that said wading shoes are anywhere near as good as felt.

I'm also in need of boots, the felt on mine was worn down to almost nothing but the boot itself was still in pretty good shape. To me the jury is still out on these new rubber soled boots. I like the idea of studs but because I have a boat & there is no way studded boots are going in the boat. So what I have done for now is replace the felt soles with a kit with new soles & glue. I thought this kit may not work worth a darn but so far the soles have worked great & have remained glued to the boots just fine. So maybe the rubber soled boot technology will be improved a little more in the next couple of years then I will buy some. I fish in Montana quite a bit also so I'm also concerend about bringing these evasive species back & forth so I have even thought of having 2 pairs of boots.

I have first hand experience. The new Simms Vibram sole has poor traction on freestone streams with slick algae covered boulders and cobble. Beware! They fail where felt works. You will have to put studs on Vibram for traction on slick rock. That said: Simms is a great company and has more than proved itself to make fine products. I've used many of them for years. Once again; the studless Vibram sole has serious limitations where safety on slick rock is a concern!

Having rock climbed in various formulations of sticky rubber soled climbing shoes I'm very skeptical that said wading shoes are anywhere near as good as felt.

Thanks for that i was wondering if they worked.I have a pair with felt and spikes got them used,thought that they where the greatest thing ever but now that the felt has worn they slip allot.At first i thought it was the spikes that made them so sticky but it was the felt.Hard metal on hard rocks just slides.Spikes are good for muddy hills and wet grass,felt is what holds you on slippery rocks.

Thanks for that i was wondering if they worked.I have a pair with felt and spikes got them used,thought that they where the greatest thing ever but now that the felt has worn they slip allot.At first i thought it was the spikes that made them so sticky but it was the felt.Hard metal on hard rocks just slides.Spikes are good for muddy hills and wet grass,felt is what holds you on slippery rocks.

That is why the Korkers are so good you change to the hiking soles and don't ruin you felts hiking in..

They have different soles for what ever you want to do..

Korkers.com is the site. I have hiked to several lakes and miles +++++++++++++++++++ of streams and they are great.. I did kill one set of BOA laces, called Korkers and got a free set sent and a replacement set is $8.00 , carry a set with me ..

That is why the Korkers are so good you change to the hiking soles and don't ruin you felts hiking in..

Korkers.com is the site. I have hiked to several lakes and miles +++++++++++++++++++ of streams and they are great.. I did kill one set of BOA laces, called Korkers and got a free set sent and a replacement set is $8.00 , carry a set with me ..

Good point.

I know it's been discussed in previous threads but I have heard that there are way too many quality control issues with Korkers (specifically with their interchangeable soles staying on) - though I have no personal experience with Korkers, it's just what has come up in previous threads...

P

I know it's been discussed in previous threads but I have heard that there are way too many quality control issues with Korkers (specifically with their interchangeable soles staying on) - though I have no personal experience with Korkers, it's just what has come up in previous threads...

P

Check out the web site ..

They have changed the sys much better IMO..

I hate kit/gear that does not work so would not use it if it did not..

The first pair I had the sole only came off if it was stuck to the ice, or if I hit my heel against some thing and lifted the velcro.. other then that many miles and lots of streams under them. I wore out the laces, which is why the boa sys is great, that and the fact that it does not freeze in the winter.. ask anyone who has had to drive home with their waders and wading boots on because the laces were frozen

I'm surprised by your experience with them!

In my experience - and I have worn both as well - I find that my Simms Guideboots are just as good, if not better, in every situation I've been in. And they're way better for the hiking side of things because, 1. they're extremely light, and 2. the streamtread soles give you excellent traction on the dirt. No more "skiing" down the banks to the rivers for me..

As far as the algae covered boulders, I don't think any studless boot gives much traction on on those, they're an accident waiting to happen.

I have the Korkers with the Boa system and am very happy with them; have well over a hundred days on them over 2 years and not a problem. I'll admit I was skeptical about the Boa lacing when I bought them but they've held up great. I recently wore out the felts that came with them and replaced them with their version of sticky rubber. It works but not as good as felt. I personally don't like the idea of wearing spikes but I think with feltless boots it's may be a necessity.

Totally agree, I am sold on Korkers. Spikes with rubber for the winter (no platform snow shoes), felt, felt with spikes, tread for alpine lake walks. I will be getting the Vibram inserst shortly as my felt is on the way out.

I have however blown out a pair of laces too, but no big deal for how often I hit the water. You can go up one more model to the wire laces if you like.

as for models I destroyed my cross current korkers in one season (lowest end), again though heavy use. Moved up to the streamborn boots 1yr not lick of wear besides the laces.

great part about the whole thing is as I wear the boot out through use, the different inserts felt/spikes etc can be used on your new pair.