Fly Fusion Forums

Horrible Case Of Fisherman's Elbow

Guest Sundancefisher

i useto get it back when i started my 200+ day tears but i found i jsut switched my casting style a bit (more shoulder and torse) make more single handed spey casts and fish double handed rods aswell (well roudned in all situations not the same olf sluggin day in day out cuz she wears ya down!) too even out the strain on my body! a tensor might help but u might just want too tweak your style a bit! im not saying go out buy a bunch of new gear just peep some vids check out some different styles of casts (shoot more line!! less false casts!!!!) and you should be laughin!

Guest Sundancefisher
You're sure that's from fishin', huh? :ph34r:

:whistle:

lol

sadly..it is actually very, very sore. I can hardly flex my arm out this evening. I am trying a cold pack to see if it helps.

Guest Sundancefisher
Watching others catch fish in your lake would help.

LOL again.

I will have to still fish a bit...I was thinking about it...and I chose the pain...for now. Not the same movement ice fishing...so I have 5 months to heal...as soon the ice forms.

Man is my arm ever sore. I wonder if a tensor would help.

A good elbow brace probably will. This one saved my arm.

http://www.serola.net/product_gel_arc_directions.php

Been using it for years; casting and fishing pain free ever since I started using it. A few simple exercises now and again helps to. Small investment big payoff. Trick is to use the brace everytime you fish.

A good elbow brace probably will. This one saved my arm.

http://www.serola.net/product_gel_arc_directions.php

Been using it for years; casting and fishing pain free ever since I started using it. A few simple exercises now and again helps to. Small investment big payoff. Trick is to use the brace everytime you fish.

Yep. After reading this advice from another thread, I bought one of these. Works wonders.

Guest Sundancefisher
In the "Grave of the Unknown Fisherman" John Gierach mentions accupuncture fixed his chronic fishing elbow. Seems like good advice since he makes his living fishing.

hmmm... Some say don't use it...rest it. If I had it full of pins...I would rest it also.

Unless the acupuncturist is a 60 year old chinese person...I ain't see a pin pusher again.

Last person I saw was when I contracted Bell's Palsy. She called it "putting pins in a patient". She was red haired, about 25 and spent the entire time talking about boyfriend gossip. That visit was painful...and not for the acupuncture.

hmmm... Some say don't use it...rest it. If I had it full of pins...I would rest it also.

Unless the acupuncturist is a 60 year old chinese person...I ain't see a pin pusher again.

Last person I saw was when I contracted Bell's Palsy. She called it "putting pins in a patient". She was red haired, about 25 and spent the entire time talking about boyfriend gossip. That visit was painful...and not for the acupuncture.

Our (ex) family doctor misdiagnosed my daughter's juvenile arthritis as a surgical problem. Fortunately another doc gave the proper one, we altered her diet and she had a "miraculous recovery". Our family accupuncturist (middle aged east Indian) improved my wife's acid reflux to where she no longer requires medication - contrary to our ex-family doctor's opinion - and helped provide relief to me and my daughter for different conditions. It sounds like your person was not properly trained or just was not competent. No profession has a lock on competency and not amount of training will overcome lack of ability.

Was your palsy from Lyme?

Guest Sundancefisher
Our (ex) family doctor misdiagnosed my daughter's juvenile arthritis as a surgical problem. Fortunately another doc gave the proper one, we altered her diet and she had a "miraculous recovery". Our family accupuncturist (middle aged east Indian) improved my wife's acid reflux to where she no longer requires medication - contrary to our ex-family doctor's opinion - and helped provide relief to me and my daughter for different conditions. It sounds like your person was not properly trained or just was not competent. No profession has a lock on competency and not amount of training will overcome lack of ability.

Was your palsy from Lyme?

Nope...they are not sure.

Pick up a copy of a book called "Fit to Fish". It talks about a lot of elbow and shoulder related problems. Also see a doctor - tennis elbow or golfer's elbow rarely heal themselves once they get serious (i.e. pain doesn't go away after a few days of rest and ice).

In addition to trying different casting styles try using a different grip to see if that helps.

Another option is to get a lighter fish bonker. :numbchuck: Less strain on the elbow...