Fly Fusion Forums

New Wholesale Sports

Went there for the first time this morning. I did not, unfortunately, walk out with my Cloudveil wading pants because they're close to $500...but they do kick ass. They're nice. Think I might have to get out the Aquaseal and try and get another year from the Orvis waders. Mike, however, bought a pair of their wading boots. Holy crap - they are super ultra lite and made of kevlar and the most comfortable boots he's worn he says. I'm jealous - I wish I needed new boots. Got a couple of new lines, some leaders and other stuff and we're good to go for opening day down south.

Anyways (sorry...I get excited when I go shopping and tend to ramble), the store is really nice (despite the fact that Mike's company bid the steel and drywall and didn't get it :lol: ). I like the fact that their fly fishing section is separate and they have their seasoned employees working in there. They know their stuff - great guys to talk to. Nice store - very big and the prices haven't inflated too too much considering they gotta pay bigger rent. I was, actually, very impressed.

There's a Water Skeeter 2 man pontoon boat right as you walk in the door there that I need to get my hands on the frame of. If anyone knows of a way to jack it, lemme know (kidding). Man...the products now - I want that frame for our boat. I guess they're not dealing with Outcast anymore (don't know why). And Chris Seipio is the Cloudveil rep according to (gheez...can't remember his name...).

Still the best prices in town for leaders, tippet and fly lines as far as I'm concerned. Can't wait to get out there and fire out that new SA GPX line!!

Guest bigbadbrent

................................................................................

................................................................................

Brent you have been issued a warning about slanderous posts and you future posts will be reviewed....you know the rules no exceptions Flytyer

Actually, Outcast is still being carried and water skeeter is being dropped. 20% off all water skeeter boats...but anyways.

Go to any big box type store now, and they tend to be short staffed...unfortunate but true. I however, think that slamming businesses in the fishing industry, on a fly fishing web site is bad form and immature. <_<

I agree esleech. Funny though, I never have a problem with the service at Wholesale Sports, or any of the other flys shops in town. I guess you just have to treat folks with respect and you get it back. Maybe that's Brents problem, respect....

As stated before, bashing anyone or the business community on this site, will not be tolerated.

LynnF. Was it you who was looking for waist high waders? I got a Cabela's catalog in the mail and they have stockingfoot waist-high's for $139 (Gold Medal Dry Plus) and another upgraded model for $179 (Guideware Dry-Plus). They look like they would stand up to a lot of abuse. PM me if you want me to scan the pages in for you.

not a fan of the customer service there, 1 guy running the fly fishing section when there are 15 - 20 people walking around is not adequate

Hmmm everytime I walk into there I ALWAYS see two people between the till and two on the floor, and plus what store doesn't have problems with labour in Calgary?

I was in there on the grand opening and was help out very fast and got what I needed and was in and out quickly, I think some people have bad karma and it follows them around.

My take on this, if you don't like the store then don't go there it is as simple as that!

I have never had any problems with the service at Wholesale. Knowlegdeable friendly staff, at least willing to point you to the right person. I have noticed that the general trend that customer service in the city has decreased with the amount of well paying jobs out there. And yes it is very nice that it is next door to Ikea, and Micheals for that matter.

I have been very impressed with Wholesale. The guys behind the counter are friendly, knowledgeable, and very willing to help out. Will typically take you right to whatever it is you are looking for. Actually, given the overall labor shortage in Calgary, I found the staffing level to be excellent.

Lynn, I want that pontoon boat by the front door as well. A little "Midnight Reconnaisance" trip could be in order!. Split it with ya! I'll drive the getaway car.

Not sure what Brent said, sounds like it was unacceptable, however, a tactful opinion does help us all in our efforts for best product/service/etc. Anyhoo...I like the new Wholesale Sports store.

This next bit doesn't apply to just Wholesale Sports but rather all stores and services. I've had issues in the past with service at almost every store in Calgary but as it's already been mentioned what place do you not have issues in Calgary. Also another thing mentioned was if you treat the sales people with respect they treat you with respect. Great point Toolman. I found the key to any store is by approaching the staff yourself on YOUR initiative. Even if they seem busy and maybe even "not busy" (who are we to say they aren't) let them know you need a hand. Recently I put this to the test. Basically when I know what I want I don't need help nor do I want to be bothered, they can spend their time with people that need the help. SO, I've concluded that if you don't ask for help they may assume you don't need any. So far my test has proven 100%. As soon as you show you need a hand, you have it, and you have GREAT help. Sales people are not there to jump on us as soon as we walk in, after all we'd start to complain about that next. :P So in conclusion all stores have great service but due to the economy in Calgary sometimes you need to ask for it. Hope this all makes sense and can be seen as not rude or slanderous, it's meant to hopefully help us all cope well with the stores we do visit and to remember to take Toolman's advice and just be respectful, despite the service we receive. A little humility goes along way. B)

a tactful opinion does help us all in our efforts for best product/service/etc.

That all depends on the wording of such so called tactful opinion........some people people don't know the meaning of tactful......negativity will be seriously frowned on here; so if you want to be negative let be on a one on one basis not out in the open here as it will be dealt with if out here......we went through this seveveral times with the old forum and the same rules will still apply on the new ....so PLEASE keep this in mind

Thank You

That all depends on the wording of such so called tactful opinion........some people people don't know the meaning of tactful......

Thank You

That is very true. Tact for one person can be rude to another. Something like common sense...no one is common, we're all individuals and everyone's sense is different. Fair enough, negative stuff will be left to one on one. But I'm still not impressed with you reminding us of the longest day coming up shortly. :PB)

That all depends on the wording of such so called tactful opinion........some people people don't know the meaning of tactful......negativity will be seriously frowned on here; so if you want to be negative let be on a one on one basis not out in the open here as it will be dealt with if out here......we went through this seveveral times with the old forum and the same rules will still apply on the new ....so PLEASE keep this in mind

Thank You

Also keep in mind that forums are terrible places to write a negative opinion of any sort. Even if you think you are being as tactful as possible, someone will always read a tone into the thread that you may not have intended. Has to do with the written word having no tone of voice, if that makes sense. If I am having a disagreement with someone, the last place I will try to discuss/settle is via written communication of any sort. They need to hear your voice.

Also keep in mind that forums are terrible places to write a negative opinion of any sort. Even if you think you are being as tactful as possible, someone will always read a tone into the thread that you may not have intended. Has to do with the written word having no tone of voice, if that makes sense. If I am having a disagreement with someone, the last place I will try to discuss/settle is via written communication of any sort. They need to hear your voice.

Absitively! Posolutey! I know what that's all about. I've put my foot in my mouth a few times. My steel toed work boots don't taste so good.

My apologies to Lynne for her well intentioned thread going off topic...let's get this back on its original topic again.

I haven't been to the new location yet and I can practically spit to it from where I live. :unsure:

I went in there when they first opened, thought it was a pretty clean place, scanned around at some stuff. Overall i would go back there if it wasnt a 40 minute drive from my house... <_<

I don't know what BBB said, but I do know he's pretty young (and looks young too) and many times at different stores I have seen younger people ignored because they weren't with someone "older". Don't know if that had anything to do with it or not.

Went there for the first time this morning. I did not, unfortunately, walk out with my Cloudveil wading pants because they're close to $500...but they do kick ass. They're nice. Think I might have to get out the Aquaseal and try and get another year from the Orvis waders. Mike, however, bought a pair of their wading boots. Holy crap - they are super ultra lite and made of kevlar and the most comfortable boots he's worn he says. I'm jealous - I wish I needed new boots. Got a couple of new lines, some leaders and other stuff and we're good to go for opening day down south.

Anyways (sorry...I get excited when I go shopping and tend to ramble), the store is really nice (despite the fact that Mike's company bid the steel and drywall and didn't get it :lol: ). I like the fact that their fly fishing section is separate and they have their seasoned employees working in there. They know their stuff - great guys to talk to. Nice store - very big and the prices haven't inflated too too much considering they gotta pay bigger rent. I was, actually, very impressed.

There's a Water Skeeter 2 man pontoon boat right as you walk in the door there that I need to get my hands on the frame of. If anyone knows of a way to jack it, lemme know (kidding). Man...the products now - I want that frame for our boat. I guess they're not dealing with Outcast anymore (don't know why). And Chris Seipio is the Cloudveil rep according to (gheez...can't remember his name...).

Still the best prices in town for leaders, tippet and fly lines as far as I'm concerned. Can't wait to get out there and fire out that new SA GPX line!!

Great shopping report Lynn. Love the new Avatar. You're taking this Grandma stuff pretty seriously eh...grin.

Lucky kid!

I also shop there for camping stuff and clothes. I do agree with LynnF's comment about having the fly fishing section to itself, it's great and the guys they have running it do know their stuff. It's a great improvement over the other store as there is much more space and of course many more new toys to look at. B)

PS Congrats LynnF on the new grandbaby!