Fly Fusion Forums

A Quest For An "oddity"..

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only "liquid" waxes that I know of are ski wax (as a spray), floor wax or furniture (wood) wax... Not sure if either of these would work for your application...

P

OK guys and Ladies..it is time that I pick ur brains on this one..Does anyone know where I can get,borrow or steal, and yeah..pay for it if I have no choice..a bottle of "liquid wax"................Wolfie

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

We have a wax/oil mixture at my work. We spray it up into doors and hoods of cars to prevent rust. I could grab some for you if you would like to try it out (free)

OK guys and Ladies..it is time that I pick ur brains on this one..Does anyone know where I can get,borrow or steal, and yeah..pay for it if I have no choice..a bottle of "liquid wax"................Wolfie

Hi, I don't know what you need it for but try Michaels ((( crafts ))) Westhills.

Have fun..

Holy smoke ...such an array of various answers...and I thought mostly all "fly tiers" would know what it is and the use of it..lol.gif...guess not ..OK, then I'll explain, but first off th_gOxIkQpLYGva2FdM2FKda2fboPBdo.gif ladies it is Not used to remove any unsightly 'hair'..lol.gif..

..it is used to apply on ur thread with a bobbin, then u can put a pitch of dubbing on the thread before u spin it...I still have some in a bottle but after the years it is on it's last leg, getting dried out! Now, do you all know what I'm talking about?..............this is a funny group of ppl here in this forum.."hair removal"...that's a hoot!..................Wolfie

mmm..no it's not as messy as you think, but it is extremely effect, OK..then let me ask you..besides using that rotor vise, how or what do u all use to apply the dubbing to ur thread.........Wolfie

Hi, I use tiny winy bit of spit, lick my fingers..not much.. and a fine line of dub.. take not much.....

It depends completely on the type of dubbing. Different dubbing needs a different approach. Nice fine dry fly dubbing twists on nicely, you can form a dubbin "noodle" or feed it on the thread. With a more course material i have a bit of water at hand to control it. and Like Flytyer said if you want a spiky effect a dubbing loop is required. Give me a shout sometimes and we'll get together and I'll run you through the way I do it. Got to get through all the Steelhead flies I need to do for clients first.

well guys, thanks for the info...I also went to Michael's looking but found nothing, chapstick you said Brunsie, I'll give that a try for sure, and Doc, the wax I still have is a rusty colour, which doesn't change the colour of the dubbing, and seeing how the amount that is used is so minimal, I doubt that any harm comes to the dubbing...well maybe I should consider upgrading to that fancy rotary type vise, which I seen being used to twist the dubbing between a loop of thread or learn how to do that manually...thanks guys and ladies for your help...............Wolfie

well maybe I should consider upgrading to that fancy rotary type vise, which I seen being used to twist the dubbing between a loop of thread or learn how to do that manually

You don't need a rotary vise to make a dubbing loop. You will need a hook or similar tool to spin it, but then you just wrap it as you would any material.

The first pic here shows the tool you need:

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/t...ips/part144.php

You don't need a rotary vise to make a dubbing loop. You will need a hook or similar tool to spin it, but then you just wrap it as you would any material.

The first pic here shows the tool you need:

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/t...ips/part144.php

yes...I've seen the tool, and the method how it was used...but in the screen shots I noticed ..dubbing wax being used....I've tried the loop method with/without wax, and it works..................Wolfie

well guys, thanks for the info...I also went to Michael's looking but found nothing, chapstick you said Brunsie, I'll give that a try for sure, and Doc, the wax I still have is a rusty colour, which doesn't change the colour of the dubbing, and seeing how the amount that is used is so minimal, I doubt that any harm comes to the dubbing...well maybe I should consider upgrading to that fancy rotary type vise, which I seen being used to twist the dubbing between a loop of thread or learn how to do that manually...thanks guys and ladies for your help...............Wolfie

Hi, It's sure amazing how stuff is depended on. Why not use what you got already! with the amount of gas-olin, driven around, you could of bought more dubbien crap!

My 2 cents worth... :ppirattee: