Fly Fusion Forums

Fishing Finds

Whenever I lose flies or spoons, I seem to find spinners to replace them. The annoying thing is that I never really use spinners, I never have great success with them. I have lots in my tackle box that just seem to be growing.

The other only great find was hooking into a burb at PCR and pulling up the burb AND an almost new ice fishing rod. Another guy lost a rod earlier down the hole but sadly it wasn't his lol.

420 and i found someones almost dead dog last year on the highwood.... that ruined a day.

I find stuff all the time, lately it has been dry fly floatant, but I loose stuff EVERY day i fish. I'm going to have to get my hemos in bulk soon. I also tend to find stuff I have lost weeks later. In this last winter I lost both my knife and a set of hemos on different waters; only to find them 2 weeks later.

When ever I find lures or spoons I hang them in the evergreens.... kind of my way of making it christmas every day. I put 2 in a tree yesterday on the highwood. Plus this way people see it and take them, I generally cut the trebles off.

If I am very lucky I find some trout.

2 or so yrs ago I found a $700 digital camera on the Livingston, posted it on the bulletin board and the owner contacted me and I gave it back. I'm sure he had good intentions and said he'd get me a reward but not a thing ever became of it. So much for being honest, I probably should have just kept it---I needed one. It was good reminder about promising things but not delivering.

Last week I found a net on a SE BC river--too bad I have 3 already. Found a good spincast rod in the Bow once.

A drag that you didn't get the reward, but good on you for giving it back. It is what we are supposed to do, though not all of us live up to it.

some good finds everyone! dope thread! found a fairly new flyrod once in a sidechannel on the bow.. reel was fused together but the rod still wroked deadly.. abotu half dozen nets.. a boom box a few weeks back on teh crow.. got maybe $10 000 in rapalas the last decade! always cut 2 bends of teh trailer hook of and remove the middle then give them too a kid in a parking lot if hes rockin the spinning gear! found a tons of dead things too! once i hooked and drug up a oxygen mask n 10 feet of clear tube (didnt find grandpa), a chainsaw(in teh bottom of a cutty stream) discman, cellphones (found my cellphone a few weeks alter on teh bow once a few feet down... lots of beer, few bags of dope, clothes.. one of them $100 calculators u supposibly "need" for highschool and a whole bunch of "abandon" campers, atvs n camping stuff southwest of town, some still looks brand new! <--poke--< ...

some good finds everyone! dope thread! found a fairly new flyrod once in a sidechannel on the bow.. reel was fused together but the rod still worked deadly.. about half dozen nets.. a boom box a few weeks back on the crow.. got maybe $10 000 in rapalas the last decade! always cut 2 bends of the trailer hook of and remove the middle then give them too a kid in a parking lot if hes rockin the spinning gear! found a tons of dead things too! once i hooked and drug up a oxygen mask n 10 feet of clear tube (didnt find grandpa), a chainsaw(in teh bottom of a cutty stream) discman, cellphones (found my cellphone a few weeks alter on the bow once a few feet down... lots of beer, few bags of dope, clothes.. one of them $100 calculators u supposedly "need" for highschool and a whole bunch of "abandon" campers, atvs n camping stuff southwest of town, some still looks brand new! <--poke--< ...

Damn near spit my milk and cookies all over my friggin screen.. you maroon....

How about a stringer chain (with a dead Cutthroat) and "Ford Fender" setup on a rock on the Livingstone? This was about 3 weeks ago...

Not a find so much as an encounter. Sitting on a rock on Red Earth Creek tying on a new fly when a movement at the water's edge caught my eye. Looked down and was somewhat surprised to see a mink hopping up the rock towards me. This was all fine and dandy until I realized it didn't actually realize I was there. When he got between my feet and was still coming I decided I had seen a mink about as close as I wanted. One quick flick of the foot and he was back in the water from whence he came. On to the next hole...

Besides finding an excellent way to spend my time, I've only found the usual angler tools that have already been mentioned.

However, for our river clean up, we award a prize for the oddest find. In previous years the winners have found:

A 10 point buck (dead) with a lawn chair stuck in his antlers.

A waffle iron and a tiki torch.

A plastic plant, potted in concrete.

A metal headboard with bullet holes in it.

A golf ball. From Palm Beach.

Not winners, but not bad: an air conditioner, a plastic glow-in-the-dark-statue of Jesus, a big orange shovel, a Schmidt beer chair with a place to stash your beer under the seat, a mattress and box spring set still in the plastic wrapper, and articles of clothing too numerous to count.

Found a Sage rod laying in the middle of the road on the Livingstone, posted it on this website and after a couple of months with no calls took it into a flyshop to check out if I could get Sage to replace & sent it away. It came in got a call I thought " sweet new Sage RPL 590". Day I went in to pick it up the blank a fellow came in asking if anyone turned in a rod that fell off his vehicle while driving on the Livingstone. I thought damn, but I felt good getting it to the rightfull owner.

Found a Sage rod laying in the middle of the road on the Livingstone, posted it on this website and after a couple of months with no calls took it into a flyshop to check out if I could get Sage to replace & sent it away. It came in got a call I thought " sweet new Sage RPL 590". Day I went in to pick it up the blank a fellow came in asking if anyone turned in a rod that fell off his vehicle while driving on the Livingstone. I thought damn, but I felt good getting it to the rightfull owner.

Yea its right here even had it fixed for yea.

at the Bow this week and found $1.00's worth of beer cans and a umbrella black nylon slip on bag, still in it's plastic case, and two parts to a broken TFO fly rod with about 3' of fly line, leader attached with a pretty good black weighted nymph fly on the tippet.............but no fish... :( ....Wolfie

Wolfie, take it to Springbrook/TFO in SE Calgary, and pay the $30 and get a new section and you'll have an extra rod (or if you are missing the butt section, say it broke and you lost it in the drink!) Worth a try!!

P

at the Bow this week and found $1.00's worth of beer cans and a umbrella black nylon slip on bag, still in it's plastic case, and two parts to a broken TFO fly rod with about 3' of fly line, leader attached with a pretty good black weighted nymph fly on the tippet.............but no fish... :( ....Wolfie

Wolfie, take it to Springbrook/TFO in SE Calgary, and pay the $30 and get a new section and you'll have an extra rod (or if you are missing the butt section, say it broke and you lost it in the drink!) Worth a try!!

P

Wolfie is a smart and ethical man so he would never stoop to that level and return a rod he never purchased and for you to even suggest that is unforgivable. <--poke--<

I would like to thank Wolfie for trying to return the area to its pristine glory and reducing his foot print and I’m glad he made it back that day and never had to set up a random camp.

All kidding aside Thanks WOLFIE for picking up after those who don't give a :$*%&:

Wolfie is a smart and ethical man so he would never stoop to that level and return a rod he never purchased and for you to even suggest that is unforgivable. <--poke--<

I would like to thank Wolfie for trying to return the area to its pristine glory and reducing his foot print and I’m glad he made it back that day and never had to set up a random camp.

All kidding aside Thanks WOLFIE for picking up after those who don't give a :$*%&:

I'll let you in a big money secret...if you don't take off this winter and go there..any who..I think I've returned at least $15.00 worth of beer cans since I've been fishing the Bow ..[mid may]..as well as a few that were full..now now ÜberFly..do you think I'd 'stoop' that low..if it was a Sage..I'd consider your post but a TFO...I do have a high pride of myself...

.."random camp"...well I'm a big guy yes..but a "camp"...lol-2.gif.....Wolfie

Found a naked woman sunning herself on the shore of the Bow this spring close to Mac. Made my day. Unfortunately, I didn't get a pic. Thought it might be in bad taste especially with her boy friend watching me float by....

LoL!! :goodvsevil(): "In for a penny in for a pound"... You'd do it for a Sage, but not a TFO... Come on... Same, same! (not in a rod, but in the rationale)! LoL :goodvsevil():

Hey being an "idealist", doesn't make me perfect!! ;)

P

I'll let you in a big money secret...if you don't take off this winter and go there..any who..I think I've returned at least $15.00 worth of beer cans since I've been fishing the Bow ..[mid may]..as well as a few that were full..now now ÜberFly..do you think I'd 'stoop' that low..if it was a Sage..I'd consider your post but a TFO...I do have a high pride of myself...

.."random camp"...well I'm a big guy yes..but a "camp"...lol-2.gif.....Wolfie

ÜberFly..seriously..my impression on the TFO..is something I should keep to myself, and believe me Sage is running awfully close as well...maybe it comes from my knowledge of years gone by..who knows..but if you really want to make a BIG buck, I do know how...hahaaa!, cause I've done it myself.................Wolfie