Fly Fusion Forums

Forestry Closed

http://www.albertafirebans.ca/

Sustainable Resource Development Fire ban in effect

Ministerial Order 27/07

Fire Ban or Fire Advisory: 1 August, 2007

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS AREA CLOSURE IS ONLY FOR THE FOREST PROTECTION AREA OF ALBERTA

ALBERTA SUSTAINABLE RESOURCE DEVELOPMENT

Forest and Prairie Protection Act RSA 2000, c.F-19

MINISTERIAL ORDER 27/07

AREA CLOSURE ORDER

As fire danger warrants a closure, I, Dan Wilkinson, Acting Assistant Deputy Minister of the Forestry Division, Alberta Sustainable Resource Development, pursuant to s. 14 of the Forest and Prairie Protection Act (the "Act") HEREBY ORDER closed to public entry those lands within Fire Control Zones 1, 2 and 3 that are within the Green Area (as established by Ministerial Order 71/85 as amended from time to time or any Order made in substitution for that Order).

THIS ORDER comes into effect at 12:01 p.m. on the 1st day of August, 2007.

DATED at the City of Edmonton, in the Province of Alberta, this 1st day of August, 2007.

Better make different plans, the Oldman, Livingstone, and Castle are now OFF-LIMITS.

Areas 1,2,&3 are Chain Lakes South.

Hope nobody left campers up there.

I hear Sullivan Lake is nice this time of year...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was camping at Racehorse Creek, Sun-Tues, and the campground host was starting to pack up his stuff. He knew it was coming. Two bears in the campground on Monday. They got "beardogged "and shot in the rump with rubber. They will have free roam now I guess....

Thanks for the info. Good to know

Oops, missed the link in Harps msg. which makes much of this redundant.

Momentary lapse of reason, sorry Harps

That's what I get for trying to work and surf at the same time

I looked up some of the info for firebans so If anyone has a use for these here are a couple links to fireban maps:

A county by county listing showing firebans, NAT Park Bans, (Prov parks see below) County office ph numbers etc

http://albertafirebans.ca/

Prov parks follow inset link or http://gateway.cd.gov.ab.ca/firebans.aspx

A nice zoomable PDF showing Bans, rivers/creeks, road closures etc.

http://srd.alberta.ca/whatsnew/pdf/AreaClo..._2007_36x36.pdf

It looks like some of the info has not been updated as of today so if you have any plans in the area confirm the info with the local office to be sure.

Hope this helps.

Have a good weekend

Reason for edit - brain death

Good and bad, eh. The fish need the break from the heat, we need a break from the concrete.

The area is nice when there is nobody around... hopefully no fires get started and it is nice when we are allowed back in.

It will be crowded north of Calgary!!

Ya......we left a 28 foot trailer up there. Man I'm pissed...no warning at all, despite the fact folks have our # for cases such as this. And vacation is just a week away too.....guess we better make new plans.

I just called SRD Calgary - they are issuing permits starting tomorrow to go and get your stuff out of the closed zone. Thank God. Just remembered all our gear was left down there too - couldn't even fish the Bow if we wanted. The Bow and the north will now be a gong show.

I have to call SRD tomorrow re our permits to get in there, but if anyone hears in the meantime what the criteria is for re-opening (i.e. 4 hours of rain etc.), post it here. Knowing our luck, we'd pull it out of there and they'd re-open after a day of rain. And if anyone has any ideas for a Plan D for our vacation, I'm open to suggestions too. :angry:

Does anyone have a link to a map of this area. The PDF's I've tried pulling up from SRD either don't work/download properly or don't show the specific area. I regards to the area closure, what the *&*$ does "within Fire Control Zones 1, 2 and 3 that are within the Green Area " mean?

Well think of it this way... in 2003 when I finally got back there in september... the fish looked healthy and fat and very contented. Didn't you guys just all start complaining about the state of the fish in the Livingstone? The phrase "you better watch what you wish for" comes to mind... ;)

Does anyone have a link to a map of this area. The PDF's I've tried pulling up from SRD either don't work/download properly or don't show the specific area. I regards to the area closure, what the *&*$ does "within Fire Control Zones 1, 2 and 3 that are within the Green Area " mean?

Try this

http://srd.alberta.ca/whatsnew/pdf/firebanarea.pdf

I talked to SRD. They couldn't give me a real answer on the "Green Zones", but essentially all the roads in the area will be blocked off entering areas 1,2 &3. The guy said there were no fires in the area at this time but conditions are ripe. The ironic thing about hoping for rain is that it will be the storms that start any fires now. Oh well, here's hoping to them opening up that area before the 13th when I have 10 days booked. :angry:

Well think of it this way... in 2003 when I finally got back there in september... the fish looked healthy and fat and very contented. Didn't you guys just all start complaining about the state of the fish in the Livingstone? The phrase "you better watch what you wish for" comes to mind... ;)

Once again you have crystallized my thoughts, Brother! Hallelujah & Amen! :)

You and us both MMAX. Problem is that going down there IS our vacation - we don't have a Plan B - our plan revolves around camping and fishing this time of the year. Sure....we could camp somewhere else, but it's not where we want to be and we can't find a place that we like within 3 hours of Calgary. It's such a disappointment when you look forward to 2 weeks a year in the summer and find it potentially going in the toilet. That being said, I wholeheartedly agree that shutting the place down until some significant rainfall is the right thing. I told Mike tonight that if this was 9 years ago and the conditions were the same, there's no way they'd shut it down. They are reacting to the sheer numbers of people and ATV's and what-not in that area and when you weigh that into the factor, it tips the scales. Sure we've had the hottest summer in 40 years, but tell me that this summer is no drier than last or the year before and I think I'd disagree. Last year, other than the odd shower in July, there was no significant precip in that area - and the snowpack was much less too if I recall. Years and years of dry weather and now all the people have forced them to do this and I'm fine with that. Disappointed but fine. The only thing I took issue with was the fact that I got no notification when I told we'd get advance warning in cases like this, but I'll take that up with the person in charge of that. I'm just glad we'll be able to get down there and get our trailer out, but I honestly hope that this closure is short lived and we can all have our vacations in the coming weeks. If not, then we just gotta build a bridge and get over it.

Well I got a last afternoon of fishing in, good one too, had to move the road block outta the way to get out of the Porkies, hope we a 3 day rain soon. Christ it's dry!

Someone please tell me your sh**tin me about the Bow closure? I know that your probably pulling my leg, but if you aren't I might have to go to a plan "C" now.

Maybe if the dude who won american inventor came by he could put that dealy, the guardian angel (awesome idea if you haven't seen it yet it drops fire suppresant on your christmas tree if it ever catches fire)... maybe he could put it on top of all the trees out there and we could go fishing again :lol::lol::lol:

Looks like my brother and I timed our trip perfectly. When K-Country was closed in late August and early Sept of 2001, they re-opened it after 3/10 inch of rain. Don't know if that would apply here, but it really doesn't take much to make a big change in the fire hazard.

Looks like my brother and I timed our trip perfectly. When K-Country was closed in late August and early Sept of 2001, they re-opened it after 3/10 inch of rain. Don't know if that would apply here, but it really doesn't take much to make a big change in the fire hazard.

Was told this morning by someone of authority that it will take 3 solid days of rain before it will re-open.

3 days?? Crap, may be a while waiting for that.

Looks like the Bow is gonna be busy place for a while.

Hopefully you have no issues getting your trailer out.