Fly Fusion Forums

Forestry Closed

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A fire ban (red area) doesn't mean you can't fish or hike or anything so the activities are as normal. The area closer means nothing is going on in that area (purple) including fishing, hiking, etc. Is this correct? I hope so cause that would mean we could still fish, hike, etc. but just no fires in the red area. Sucks about the purple area though. So as mentioned 1, 2, and 3 are pretty much closed but I see Highway 22 is still open so that stills open up a lot of options. Sorry to hear you guys in the 1,2, and 3 sections are so put off on your holidays and plans. Hopefully it all opens up soon.

The Bow isn't closed....TL is just shitting us. That may be the only saving grace for us for the first week of vacay if the south country doesn't open up.

In another episode of "somebody always has a worse story than yours"....imagine this.

Couple fly from Ontario to Calgary for 3 week vacation. Rent a motor home, drive to Blairmore to pick up rented quads, go to head up to the FTR and find that they aren't getting their vacation after all. As told by the SRD officer to Mike this morning.

Maybe 9 days of floating the Bow won't be that bad..... :)

The Bow isn't closed....TL is just shitting us. That may be the only saving grace for us for the first week of vacay if the south country doesn't open up.

In another episode of "somebody always has a worse story than yours"....imagine this.

Couple fly from Ontario to Calgary for 3 week vacation. Rent a motor home, drive to Blairmore to pick up rented quads, go to head up to the FTR and find that they aren't getting their vacation after all. As told by the SRD officer to Mike this morning.

Maybe 9 days of floating the Bow won't be that bad..... :)

Oh brutal!! I'd be a bit on the P.O'd side!

I am sure that a lot of guys might groan if its still open and i am about to bring unwanted attention to it, but i cant get the links to the maps to open so i cant tell....having said that, is the crowsnest still open?

What do you mean the Bow is closed for the long weekend? Either I must be gullible or the Bow's water is too warm. Wet waded the Bow yesteray and it felt like a dream, probably not for the fish though.

Ok here you go, the Farmers Almanac Prediction. (And we all know the Farmers Almanac is NEVER wrong!)

August 2007

1st-3rd. Mostly fair and hot. 4th-7th. Showers in Rockies and across the Prairies, then fair. 8th-11th. Heat over Alberta is broken by squally weather. 12th-15th. Skies clear. 16th-19th. Mostly fair skies. 20th-23rd. Unsettled and showery, followed by clearing skies. 24th-27th. Thunderstorms, with isolated heavy-to-severe activity. 28th-31st. Mostly fair

Looks like the Crow might get some precip next Friday. Weather is not anywhere close to even being a predictable science in this province. We'll all just play the waiting game. I'll bet things look different after the long weekend......

And Rick - that stretch of the Bow may be closed to jokers like you, but for people like me with a "special" boat - we're allowed :lol:

Well colour me wrong about why they closed it - I thought it had everything to do with the population and #'s of people and off-roaders. Wrong. Mike talked to an SRD officer on his way out and the guy just came down from a fire in Peace River. He said that when they evaluate the fire risk they use a criteria called BIU - Burn Intensity Units. He said that the BIU in the Peace River fire was 70 and it was burning at 20,000 hectares a day. He then said that the BIU in the area they just shut down is 135 and that, without wind, it would burn at 40,000 hectares a day. It's all about safety - imagine all the people up there trapped in something like that.

Sometimes it really helps to know this kinda stuff to put it in perspective.

Someone mentioned a closure of the bow? Even though he was joking it might not be the worst thing they've ever done. A guide buddy of mine floated the lower bow a few days back and saw quite a few floaters, fish on their sides in the rocks. A reliable source in F&W, also informed me of the possibility for the bow being closed if we have another few weeks of this. Sure it would piss people off, but ethically, it should make you think. ;)

Guest bigbadbrent

i've fished the bow for the last 2 weeks, with only one day that i haven't gone..yet to see a dead fish, and i've been in a lot of slack water...

also fished in the middle of the day, and did quite well..

i've fished the bow for the last 2 weeks, with only one day that i haven't gone..yet to see a dead fish, and i've been in a lot of slack water...

Well, my buddies been guiding since 1979, so........I think I'll take his word. Although I do believe you didn't see any dead fish.

Another something from the SRD guy - will be closed down there AT LEAST 2 weeks. Need 50 mm of rain before they will consider opening it back up. But the guy said it wouldn't remain closed the rest of the year. I dunno....we don't typically get a lot of precip in August until towards the end do we?

The closure in the south spells a terrible weekend for the north. The bone heads that are out to tear the country apart will now be doubled to the north. We are dry to the north as well -fire hazard is extreme, so I do not understand why they do not slap a fire ban on the north as well. Why take the risk this weekend? I was out on a stream west of Sundre tues., the water is the lowest I have seen in years. Fishing was so-so, 8 cuts. But the bull holes are shallow so I am assuming the big guys have moved down into the big red. Random camping spots are basically dust and dirt, the grass is long gone. So take it easy with the fires and treat the fish gently when you head north guys. Conditions west of sundre are not far behind the south. Things a little better towards Nordegg. There have been a few more thunderstorms up there and they are calling for more rain there this weekend.

This is why I like fishing in the fall more and more every year...people are done their vacations....generally more precip... Let's face is SRD isn't going to be able to make any decisions without shitting in someones cornflakes. It's unfortunate about ruining people's vacations, but let's face it...if a fire was to start....it's possible no one would be vacationing there for a long time, or at least they wouldn't have a lick of shade...save for some toothpicks left standing. It's not a horrible thing to have some pressure released from this area...

Donna (Lynn) are you opposed to the waiporous camping area? I know this area still has a fire ban but there are some decent fishing ops and I can point you to 2 different creek access points that will likely guarantee a bit of solitude anytime but on the weekend and possibly even then especially if you don't mind walking a bit (like 20 minutes prior to fishing)....... 2 different creeks one produced about 50 fish yesterday......

Mikefromsundre...... I was walking up to the confluence of 2 rivers the other day out there and some bonehead basically jumps his quad down the bank into the river bed and starts ripping around in the river just as I was starting to fish...... then he rides his quad down to me (river is mud now) and starts bsing like he didn't just drive through my hole...... I wasn't overly friendly...... The he jumps back on the quad and proceeds to single handedly create a new quad ramp down to the river in what was formerly a very nice 6 foot cutbank. He just rammed the cutbank and pinned her until all 4 wheels were shooting dirt and stick and rocks. Periodically I would get a wave of mud afterwards and I would know he was ripping around in the river further upstream........

The highlight of the incident was watching him fall chest first on his handle bars while trying to do donuts in the river......

When I told him that driving around in the river was not good for anything especially my fishing he replies oh well is there another river around?