Fly Fusion Forums

Music And Flyfishing

Ok, here's perhaps an odd question, but I'm interested in the answer. I don't tend to listen to music while I am fishing, but I do tend to gravitate toward certain music to play in the car on the way there and on the way home.

Let's assume you have an hour and a half drive to fish an Alberta foothills stream. What two albums would you listen to on the way there and what two would you listen to on the way home?

My answers would be:

On the way down: Ian Tyson (Cowboyography or Lost Herd) and Blue Rodeo (Lost Together or Diamond Mine)

On the way home: and Ryan Adams (one of his older countryish records) and John Prine (Souveniers)

What music goes with flyfishing for you?

Ok, here's perhaps an odd question, but I'm interested in the answer. I don't tend to listen to music while I am fishing, but I do tend to gravitate toward certain music to play in the car on the way there and on the way home.

Let's assume you have an hour and a half drive to fish an Alberta foothills stream. What two albums would you listen to on the way there and what two would you listen to on the way home?

My answers would be:

On the way down: Ian Tyson (Cowboyography or Lost Herd) and Blue Rodeo (Lost Together or Diamond Mine)

On the way home: and Ryan Adams (one of his older countryish records) and John Prine (Souveniers)

Ian Tyson and Ryan Adams? You are one eclectic guy there Pigl!

I listen to ESPN on Sirius, both ways. I am so boring.

Celine Dion on the Way down and on the Way home.... :o

I couldn't pick one artist, I like a good mix myself.

It would be mostly Punk/Alternative. A little Bad Religion, mixed with some newer stuff.....and of course some Chili Peppers as well.

Anything but Classic Rock though.

Guest rusty

In my books you just can't beat the Hip - but if I had to pick other music I'd go with Gordon Lightfoot, or maybe Soundgarden or Stone Temple Pilots...

Depends on the weather and the company, really.

Good picks.. Steve Earl, Ray Wylie Hubbard, Corb, Jerry Jeff, Wayne the Train, Townes is cool, Metallica, Stevie Ray, Clapton ...oh hell what I should do is but a 30gig ipod and a fm transmitter but in reality my Sirus radio is pretty much welded to Outlaw.. too country for rockandroll too rockandroll for country :D :D

Anything along the line of alternative or older punk. I've been getting into books and podcasts lately though. There's some good flyfishing pod casts out there and I really like the books for the LONG trips.

Funny thing is though, no matter what it is, it instinctively goes off whenever the lake/stream is in view....it's like it's time to start focusing.

I generally burn mixes for the road trips but I have to say as far as one that really stands out for summer flyfishing expeditions it would have to be either of sam roberts albums, good ole canadian rockandroll that hasn't been hashed and rehashed like the hip. I'll second the chili peppers too, definately good road music. If it's really hot, like it's been I rock out to reggae as well although it doesn't inspire the same wandering around the bush vibe as a good ripping guitar solo does.

I think the blues would be good too, I'll have to hit up my old man for some stuff.

I have to throw in Sublime as well, because like Dube said, if it's hot, Sublime always hits the spot.

I have found myself listening for music that would fit well into my fishing video's that I am in the process of cutting up and shooting. Every once in awhile a song comes on that instantly puts a scene in my head that I decide I "Need" to shoot.

Hopefully I get some ideas from this thread for some more.

I really liked dire straits when fishing but a girl has pretty much ruined them for me as I unfortunately liked to listen to them with her as well...... same with fleetwood mac. But I only listen to that mellow stuff with chicks anyways...... now I'm back to the heavy stuff. Disturbed, SOAD, Guano apes..... but truth be told my ipod has everything from garth brooks to peter gabriel to sepulchera featuring pavorati (sp). Some classic rock some folk ballads

But in order to answer the question that was asked

Down- Disturbed to get pumped

Back- NOFX the decline followed by the alkaline trio to mellow out

Exhumed, Slayer, Napalm Death and maybe a little touch of Saliva (click click boom) on the way there...Then into the 80's Hair Metal like Warrant, older Crue and Skid Row on the way back. Did you say Guano Apes Lone Fisher? Who the hell are they?

look up guano apes and find "open your eyes" off the proud like a god album, other good ones are lord of boards, break the line, counting the days, pretty in scarlets not bad, kumba ya is not even to bad........ neat band chick lead singer kinda german punk band,

The replies are really surprising me. I can’t believe all you country fly fishing boys didn’t mention John Denver.

Going: Rocky Mountain High

Leaving: Take Me Home, County Roads

And yes I’m joking; he does play a mean guitar though.

Lately,

Corb Lund and the Hurtin Albertans!!!

-Always Keep an Edge on Your Knife

-Roughest Neck Around

-Time to Switch To Whiskey.

-Five Dollar Bill

etc.

Either that or my old standby - Cowboy Junkies - The Trinity Sessions.

Whatever CKUA is playing.

Saturdays on CKUA is cosmic after 9 AM .. all day till dark....

Dead ends and detours (Gateful Dead stuff)

Then some country...then some jazz...then Baba's groves (best show on the air) ..TD Mulligan show...it's all good.

Stompin Tom to Suicidal Tendancies and everything in between - I love old punk, especially Canadian stuff like Dayglo A..., Forgotton Rebels, furnace face, Black Donnelys, Deja Vodoo. In general, I am a wholehearted supporter of almost all Canadian music. Love the Hip, 54-40, Northern Pikes, Colin James, Jim Cuddy, Neil Young etc etc (Man, remember when Colin used to wear his boots outside his pants). My CD collection really is all over the board but lately I have been enjoying older blues/jazz on my way to and fro fishing, kinda suits the activity I guess.

With Ipods and Satelite I think todays generation is very lucky - To be able to hold a whole studio worth of vinyl in the palm of your hand is not something I would have ever imagined possible when I was a kid. Music is so accessable now no matter what genre, that is so cool...

PS Griz - love the Cowboy Junkies too, combine their CD with a soft lit apartment and a nice dinner and you have my single days, "foolproof recipe for closing a deal", if you know what I mean LOL

for me, corb lund has a monopoly on fly tying tunes, cant seem to listen to anything else while tying. while driving to a fishing spot, there's no time for music. too much bullshi!!ing and talk of fishing and fish and past fishing trips and future fishing trips and where we should fish and how etc. etc. usually this converstion takes place over a nice, tasty, delicious, welcome to flavour country left handed smoke. if by myself then its just the radio. corb's tunes "the truth comes out" and "little foothills heaven" are great songs about a great province. later

M

My answers would be:

Oh My God. I thought only my husband listened to that music. Blech.

I'm with SJFries....a little Eminem, some Pussycat Dolls, old school "funk" (now called hip hop I guess). And, of course, a TON of Collective Soul.