Fly Fusion Forums

Bear Spray Expiry

Buy a new can and use the old one for practice shots so you can see what it's capabilities are. Don't try it in your basement, I used an old can on some noisy dairy bulls and that's when I found not to use it indoors if you don't hafta.

Been there, done that, and it's not fun!!

P

I noticed today my bear spray has expired. Does this stuff actually expire? I really don't want to test it on an actual encouter. Perhaps I could mace myself and see what happens.

The expiry isn't for the potency of the contents, rather it is directed at the pressure of the can. The valves & seals will slowly release pressure over time and it would suck to run into a bear and have the can dribble some pepper liquid at your feet. I think most cans would probably be okay for a couple of months past the expiry date, but I wouldn't push it past a year.

They just want you to buy a new Can! I've never had a can of 5+ year old spray paint, WD40, or hairspray not work after long periods of time. But then again it is just a little more important than Hairspray! I'll keep mine for 1 year past expiry then buy a new Can.

dont leave them on the dash board of your truck on a hot day. I did once and the o rings leaked a nice dribble of red fluid on the dash that caused me some awesome feelings of suffocation and near vomiting mixed with watering eyes and that was just from opening the doors.lol.. wiped it down with a cloth and removed the can from the truck coughing and hacking then left the windows open for 3 hours and truck was good as new. then i testfired the rest of the can downwind to see how effective a 2 year expired can of leaky bear spray would be. it fired exactly how it should and coated every thing in the 15 to 20 foot range i was shooting it in. I wonder if the pepper spray loses its potency over time or if they are just worried about potential pressure loss in the can.

Just give a test. Outdoors, firing downwind of course.

These things are really a use once item, so if you test it, I wouldn't try to use it later. That said, I had two cans that I bought and they expired years ago (same type, same expiry). Took one out and fired it off and it worked fine.

If you get peace of mind from Bear Spray, then probably best just to buy a new can and not be wondering.

Tested my old one out a few days ago it had expired 2007.OOPS. Never fired one before so i tried it after i got my new one. Started off with a splatter then sprayed but i dont think it got more than 5 ft. Wasnt no 15-25 ft like the can states. Yikes. Cant believe you have to sign for that stuff now.

As mentioned above, use for practicing and replace with a new one. You don't want to have to use it one day only to find out it doesn't work...your life is worth more than the $29.95 price of a can of spray. Tested one once that hadn't even reached the expiry date, and it just dribbled out of the can...should be fired roughly waist high straight into the face of the bear....believe it or not I've seen people hold it up in the air like an air horn which would be absolutely useless in an encounter....

These things are really a use once item, so if you test it, I wouldn't try to use it later. That said, I had two cans that I bought and they expired years ago (same type, same expiry). Took one out and fired it off and it worked fine.

If you get peace of mind from Bear Spray, then probably best just to buy a new can and not be wondering.

The advice to test was given to me when I posed the same question to a bear expert and bear safety instructor and I trust his judgment. Of course, if in doubt, certainly go grab a new can.

Good question about recycling old cans, Pete. If anyone knows please post.

Cheers.

The advice to test was given to me when I posed the same question to a bear expert and bear safety instructor and I trust his judgment. Of course, if in doubt, certainly go grab a new can.

Good question about recycling old cans, Pete. If anyone knows please post.

Cheers.

Go with him then. I'm no expert but did read up on this. I think the guy listed below could be called an expert

http://www.absc.usgs.gov/research/brownbea...pepperspray.htm

I agree with his reasoning. I look at what happens to spray cans once I've used them. Tough to get the nozzel fully clean and I have never used a brand new spray can that didn't spray cleanly but have tried can that have been used before and had issues with them.

Excellent Excellent Article! Everyone who wants to spend time in bear country should read that especially the "guns are way better than pepper spray" crowd. As someone who used to routinely one shot drop running 'yotes, I far prefer to carry a large can of pepper spray when fishing in bear country.

when fire extinguishers expire, i replace/recharge them per manufacture spec. i would not test them by use or discharging and assuming they will work in an emergency.

bear sprays are a form of personal protection i put in a similar category. so do employers who issue it for use by staff who work outdoors.

interesting & informative article thanks, esp. the section about the residue being a form of potential attractant.

Maybe some of the guys with old cans could arrange a time to fire them off, with a few more of the FFC members present... then more people would gain a knowledge of what actually happens instead of information gained from only reading and never seeing. I have fired off old bear spray cans a few times, both times with the same results.. a good coverage area of about 15ft maybe 20ft... the thing to realize is when your getting charged by a bear, can you hold off till he's under 20ft away? calm under pressure? you bet... but I'll gaurantee if he gets to that close and you spray him he's gonna run right over you so be ready for that too... lol.... if he doesnt get within 20ft he's bluff charging, which has happened to me more than once out there.

Maybe some of the guys with old cans could arrange a time to fire them off, with a few more of the FFC members present... then more people would gain a knowledge of what actually happens instead of information gained from only reading and never seeing. I have fired off old bear spray cans a few times, both times with the same results.. a good coverage area of about 15ft maybe 20ft... the thing to realize is when your getting charged by a bear, can you hold off till he's under 20ft away? calm under pressure? you bet... but I'll gaurantee if he gets to that close and you spray him he's gonna run right over you so be ready for that too... lol.... if he doesnt get within 20ft he's bluff charging, which has happened to me more than once out there.

Hi HSPA

and yes you will get run over but not stomped if the can worked right, from the studies and testing I have READ the bear will run right over you and keep moving if you hit him withing that range... only 2% of the people have been hurt by the bear after hitting him full and being run over, and then only minor... now shooting at them with a firearm is another matter the # hurt was substantial..

'stand fast soldier until you can smell their feted breath and see the tonsils then let him have it"

and then walk a way or run what ever..clean shorts later!!!

I'd be in for this. I've got Dave's address if you all want to join me later on tonite, say around midnight or so?

Seriously....I've got an old can of spray I was thinking of chucking because...well...it's just old. I'd do it.