Fly Fusion Forums

My Best Fishing Trip

I had a long-week fishing vacation in middle Finland, where the water is as clear as the Bow. :)

After buying the fishing licence I checked out the fish from the bridge and was completely surprised. There were many and some were big (and awkward - those were the breams). I could clearly see the bottom on most part and even in some of the rapids. I rigged up with a streamer rod and a nymphing tackle. Almost all of my takes were on the nymphs. Later, I converted the streamer to dry fly tackle. I went through many flies and found some that worked much better then the others. These were mostly emerger patterns, one being the copper john with glass head (imitating air bubble). These did not last too long, as banging them to rocks chipped the glass head. BTW, can you recommend a substitute for the glass head? I guess, I could look for some translucent plastic beads.

Regardless of the room for improving my "stealth fishing style", fishing was awesome and I landed well over 100 wild brown trout and grayling. My biggests (couple of those) came to 42 cm (round 17 inch). However, I also saw a local catching a 57 cm brownie (22,5 inch). Regardless of the 40 cm size limit, fish were released. It was nice to see. Oddly, the bigger ones came during daytime and heat, while the fun began with darkness... I did not see exactly where I cast and removed the indicator, only when the small tug came I lifted the rod. Fish went frenzy. This was also close to a bat place and they went hunting also during these frenzy times. Several times these bats flied into the fishing line and once we struggled couple of minute before it manage to get away. It was creepy. Well, quite a bit of hatching went on, so no surprise that these animals took on the opportunity to feed.

There was quite a bit of fishing pressure on these fish. :( I almost never fished alone there. Well, it meant lots of talking for me :). On the third day, I met a Canadian from Alberta. Small world, eh! Some of you know that I lived in Calgary for 4 month last year, so I was happy to talk to a Canadian fellow. He was indeed a nice guy and we discussed a lot about fishing in Finland and online fishing shops. Not surprisingly, he was a dedicated and pretty good dry fly fisherman.

To cut this story short, I will embed some photos and if you are interested there are some more in my Photo Bucket album

Fish:

IMGP2899.jpg

IMGP2892.jpg

IMGP2957.jpg

IMGP2972.jpg

IMGP2984.jpg

IMGP2990.jpg

IMGP3002.jpg

IMGP3010.jpg

IMGP3037.jpg

IMGP3044.jpg