Fly Fusion Forums

Bull Trout Setup

SNWGHST

Just was wondering if somebody could help me out with what would be an ideal flyfishing setup for bulltrout. Would a 6 wt. rod and line be o.k.? and what style of line, sinking tip, full sinking, like a scientific anglers type 2 or 3?. River fishing only. Thanks for your help.

I used a 6wt for yrs for bulls never had a problem, go up a line wt or 2 if your targetin' the old castle bulls, use a line like a Teeny T200 for 6-9 wt, learn to cast with it and you'll be hearin' your backin' knot go out every cast.

A lot of times, 6 wt is ok, but if going for bigger bulls and tossing heavy sink tips, I use my 8 wt.

Get a very fast stinking tip line. Good choice would also be to buy a floating line, and then loop on some of the steelhead tips.

All great suggestions but I target Bullies all the time on the Highwood. I usually pack my 6 weight for streamers and the 5 for nymphing. Bullies still hit nymphs, but I often carry a handfull of larger Steelhead flies that Bowriver troutfitters carry. I am not overflowing with patience so I just weight the *hit out of my normal nymph setup. The nice thing on the highwood is you dont have to cast far, just lob into a deep pool and strip away.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont want to sound like a dick, but honestly, if your ONLY targeting bull trout get an 8 or bigger. your going to be casting big stuff up to 10 inches long (yes tie em that big) in the wind, plus... I've lost 2 bulls in AB that were well over 40 inches (i think it may have been the same fish) becuase an 8WT didnt get a hard enough hookset to bury a fly into the bony mouth and then keep enough pressure on the fish to make it stay there. When that fish of a lifetime hits ya, be prepared!

having said that, a good stiff 6wt would handle most alberta bulls, if this stick is going to be for bulls and other trout too.

The size of the rod should not correlate with how hard you can set the hook when streamer fishing. You probably lost that 40 incher because you apparently striked with your rod tip, that's the only way i can see the rod being a factor in how hard you set the hook. Take a tip from a tarpon fisher, never lift the tip until that fish has been hit 2 or 3 times with a strip-strike, you should have a straight connection from line to hook and not using your rod to set the hook. An 8 weight should cover all your bases and a 7 weight would be easier to cast all day.

Was taught the same thing in saltwater fishing. Strip strike HARD, then lift. It takes me a few fish to remember that.

But typically in saltwater fishing, you are significantly farther from your quarry than in fishing pools for bullies. I wonder if proximity to the fish changes the need for the strip set (less stretch, more direct contact)?

But the correlation between a bony mouthed tarpon and a bony mouthed bull trout is interesting. I'll have to remember to try that.

Was taught the same thing in saltwater fishing. Strip strike HARD, then lift. It takes me a few fish to remember that.

But typically in saltwater fishing, you are significantly farther from your quarry than in fishing pools for bullies. I wonder if proximity to the fish changes the need for the strip set (less stretch, more direct contact)?

But the correlation between a bony mouthed tarpon and a bony mouthed bull trout is interesting. I'll have to remember to try that.

doesn't matter, you strip strike it even if it's at your feet.

well, most places I catch bulls at require the rod tip to be used for the presentation ( popping flies through little caves along shore or dark spots, rapids, plunge pools). The "cast" is pretty much eliminated from my bully fishing, really. So when one strikes I am already "jigging" with the rod tip... and the hookset needs to be quick and hard. I do strip strike where possible when fishing a large pool deep or something, but, but usually most fish are taken at the point where I am using the rod tip for fly motion, which makes it next to impossible.

Hard to explain really, but imagine my rod straight out from me, and my fly nearly at my feet, working back up a current... that's where I get hit.. most of the time. I dont fish the middle of the river for bulls, nor do I make a cast longer than about 10ft.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your help, I couldn't afford to buy a bigger rod etc., so I bought a spare spool and went with some 6 wt. Rio fast sinking line and it is working great. Thanks again.post-3091-1247932819.jpg