Fly Fusion Forums

Pike!!!!!!

reddeerfrank

thanx,

i've caught hundreds of pike, up to about 18lbs, on the flyrod and this thing was at 24-28lbs...a guess of course, but it was a gooder'.

we also had refusals and spooked more of about the same size.

perfect conditions today, all sight fishing.

frank

Guest girlsfishtoo
Link doesn't work for me.

I checked it and it seems to be working ok for me. Anyone else having problems getting it to work?

fishstudent,

usually, anything from a 7weight on up will work. i was using an 9.5ft 8 weight sage xp. my buddy was using his tarpon 12weight ( and he has rods 3-12, so it's a matter of choice). i believe clive's, 'dryfly', website has ideas on how to do your pike leader. again, a matter of choice....i use one similar to clives and my pal uses 90 pound hard mono and we never lost do to leader failure...come to think of it, we never lost a fish period.....lucky day.

hope that helps,

frank

Awesome fish, and the smile says it all.

only problem with that hold is that on a hawg like that it could cause quite a bit of lower back strain, and maybe a trip to the RMT, to ease the strained muscles.

Congrats

Teck

I was going to make a joke about it being a perspective shot to make the fish look bigger. But when the fish is like 4 ft long, I guess one of your arms has to be extended a bit.

If it was Birchy holding that fish I bet it would looked like a minnow still. :lol: