Fly Fusion Forums

Fish Creek Park Cougar Caught

Fish Creek Park cougar caught

Last Updated: Wednesday, July 25, 2007 | 11:04 AM MT

CBC News

Wildlife officials have trapped and removed a cougar that was on the loose in south Calgary's Fish Creek Park.

The cougar was trapped Tuesday night in the provincial park and will be released into a more remote area northwest of Calgary.

Cougar sightings are not unusual in the park, but the public was warned about this animal because it had killed a deer, said Jim Stomp, the site manager.

Stomp was warning anyone visiting the park to be on the look out for the cougar and not approach it.

Fish Creek Park cougar caught

Last Updated: Wednesday, July 25, 2007 | 11:04 AM MT

CBC News

Wildlife officials have trapped and removed a cougar that was on the loose in south Calgary's Fish Creek Park.

The cougar was trapped Tuesday night in the provincial park and will be released into a more remote area northwest of Calgary.

Cougar sightings are not unusual in the park, but the public was warned about this animal because it had killed a deer, said Jim Stomp, the site manager.

Stomp was warning anyone visiting the park to be on the look out for the cougar and not approach it.

I read their announcement yesterday and had a good chuckle. Apparently after a few days of failed attempts to capture,

(live trap) the cougar, (very difficult to do in a highly urbanized environment, with an oversized herd of fat, lazy deer around), Park managers called in an "expert" to consult them on the situation. Said "expert", then got his dogs out of the pick up and tree'd the cat in a couple of hours. LOL! The cougar was then tranquilized and loaded into a truck for relocation.

The End...or is it?

Thing is, the cougar was a female and would have left her scent trail behind her wherever she has been, that can last weeks....There will likely be a male arriving shortly, if it is not already there! The "expert" has probably explained this possibility to officials and the Park Office has advised caution, saying it is unclear if there are other cougars in the park.

There were a lot of reported sightings since last Thursday and this leads me to believe that people might be seeing more than one cougar, as they are a stealthy ambush predator, that is rarely seen in most circumstances.

So heads up folks no matter where you are fishing on the Bow river.

Big Thanks to the staff at the Fish Creek Park Office for dealing with this promptly and professionally. I'm sure they were worried about everyones saftey down there. These folks do a great job of running the Park.

Downstream from Policemans.

Nice pics of the tracks. That's a good size tom for sure, since a lot of the female tracks can be confused with coyote tracks for size. Where did you find these?

there is another cougar in the city i have seen.

hangs around bearspaw damn, seen him a couple times anywhere from the parking lot all the way down.

called it in 2 months ago

then agian last week.

do they do anything? nope they are useless.

i more or less got told off last time i called.

they will realise when someone gets hurt or dies.

but there is only so much a person can do.

Aversion training.... let the cougar bit any random Calgarian and it'll take weeks for him to get the taste outta his mouth and he'll never try again :P :P :P Works on coyotes for sheep B) B) B)

Wadda want them to do?? Get rid of all the random wildlife? Unfortunately it's people and urban areas encroaching on the wildlife's territory not the other way around.

do they do anything? nope they are useless.

i more or less got told off last time i called.

they will realise when someone gets hurt or dies.

but there is only so much a person can do.

Dude! Be realistic! Should they build a fence? Shoot it? How about YOU don't fish there anymore if you're concerned. Your statement is the equivalent of saying "get rid of the bears, dammit, there's people camping in the woods!"

I'm sorry for being harsh, but you are OUT OF TOUCH.

no after i spot the cougar twice and i call it in.

there are no postings or warnings about it even though it is a fairly busy area.

im just disapointed that they did not warn the public.

calling it in was basiclly a waste of time.

You are encouraged to call in any Cougar sightings. Will anything be done about it? Probably not, unless it's in an area such as Fish Creek Park where there is a substantial amount of people and kids wondering around. As Taco said WE are the ones encroaching on THEIR territory. Calling in sightings however will provide valuable information to SRD/PARKS. It is this information that contributes to determining what will be done with a particular animal. This is why it is important to provide detailed information.

Hopefully the standards used in evaluating whether to trap, shoot or tranquilize an animal are quite high.

http://www.macecanada.com/downloads/cougarbrochure.pdf

You are encouraged to call in any Cougar sightings. Will anything be done about it? Probably not, unless it's in an area such as Fish Creek Park where there is a substantial amount of people and kids wondering around. As Taco said WE are the ones encroaching on THEIR territory. Calling in sightings however will provide valuable information to SRD/PARKS. It is this information that contributes to determining what will be done with a particular animal. This is why it is important to provide detailed information.

Hopefully the standards used in evaluating whether to trap, shoot or tranquilize an animal are quite high.

http://www.macecanada.com/downloads/cougarbrochure.pdf

Mike personally knows one of the guys that is used to trap/tree cougars. The guys does it for free, anytime, anywhere. He has been working at his day job, got a call and gone out and trapped/tree'd a cougar - all for nothing but the love of the animals, people and the job. There are people that do this humanely and care...so it's worthwhile to call in.

Mike personally knows one of the guys that is used to trap/tree cougars. The guys does it for free, anytime, anywhere. He has been working at his day job, got a call and gone out and trapped/tree'd a cougar - all for nothing but the love of the animals, people and the job. There are people that do this humanely and care...so it's worthwhile to call in.

Is he hiring? Talk about an exciting job!

Ya, i've heard of the couger by the bearspaw dam, never seen it though.

I work at canada olympic park and "Apparently" it was a cougar...Im a little more sure it may have just been 3 stoned mountain bikers thinking either one of the at least 10 coyotes that live at cop or the deer were a cougar. I've heard rumors of there being droppings and tracks but never heard any real proof. But they did have signs all over the hill for the last week saying "Cougar in the area, beware"