Fly Fusion Forums

Amundson Pro-staffers Appointed

jack

Amundson Fly Fishing is proud to announce the appointment of Brunsie Kolson("Brunsie") and Tim Bloomfield("bloom") as fly fishing product pro-staffers in Southern Alberta.

Brunsie lives and works here in Calgary, Tim(when not on a fishing trip somewhere) hangs his hat in "The Hat".

j

Brunsie, have you tried the 6wt for any lake fishing yet? I wonder how it would work for bobber fishing for 8lbers at the community lake. I have this medium action 6/7 Fly logic FLO rod that is getting stressed the max trying to pull in pig fish. Is the wind warrior a med-fast action rod?

Cheers, Rob

I use the wind warrior 10' 5wt and I find it on the faster end...I use it for all my chironomiding and I've no problems with back bone (in regards to casting into the wind). Have landed fish up to 25'' with it.

I figured I should add the central/northern AB report so far lol: Like brunsie, I have been trying out the new 10' 6wt 4pc Wind Warrior and it has been nothing short of fantastic! I have just been fishing lakes lately, but have found that even with a head-on wind, the rod performs a lot better than past 6 wts I have owned (even from "high end" brands). It handles well, is capable of some extra distance, and has enough backbone, but also a sensitive enough tip section to play the big trout on light/long leaders. Still plenty of situations to put it through, but it has performed admirably so far. I didn't know what to expect before trying it, but within the first few minutes, I found myself giggling like a little kid at how well it performed.

DSCN20854363.jpg

Had a chance to cast with the 5wt in K-Country on Sunday and even though it didn't help with keeping me from slipping and falling on my ass in the mud (twice), I was impressed with the way that rod cast a good distance of line with ease. The Amundson reel was quite nice as well and paired with the wind-master rod made for a very light setup. With the lifetime warranty I'd be interested to know the price point since comparing it to some of the high end rods out there it may be a contender. But, I'd first like to see a little clarity around the "nominal" charge after the unconditional first year before I buy one. What is the current nominal charge?

From the Amundson website regarding the Wind-Master Stillwater fly rod:

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day"

"Give him a wind-warrior fly rod and he will never have to buy a new rod for a life time"

I'm not a religious man but I'm pretty sure misquoting the Bible is blasphemy, anyone who owns one of these rods will likely go to Hell. That's ok though because I hear there is pretty good fly fishing there. :peace:

Harry - the word from Amundson is that the "nominal charge" will be in line with the other rod companies such as Sage and TFO. Jack's comment was that it would be dumb to charge more than everybody else.

Nick - I'm heading for Police Outpost this weekend, then BC for 2 weeks to torture test the Amundson rods. When I get back we'll hook up.

Monger - I'm leaning more toward the 5wt for lakes. I'll be using them both quite a bit in the next while. These rods were designed for fishing long leaders unded a strike indicator and roll cast really well for that initial "roll cast then pick up".

If anyone wants to try these rods, shoot me a PM/Email and we'll set something up

BK

The wind warrior 10' 5 wt and 10' 6 wt are $250 (comes with everything you'd expect...high end tube, sock, etc)

The Trend 5/6/7 reel is $159. Amundson is a site sponsor, so just click the banner above to check out the website.

Like any fly rod, you should always try it out first and see if it's a fit for you, and the conditions you want to use it in.

Harry - the word from Amundson is that the "nominal charge" will be in line with the other rod companies such as Sage and TFO. Jack's comment was that it would be dumb to charge more than everybody else.

Nick - I'm heading for Police Outpost this weekend, then BC for 2 weeks to torture test the Amundson rods. When I get back we'll hook up.

Monger - I'm leaning more toward the 5wt for lakes. I'll be using them both quite a bit in the next while. These rods were designed for fishing long leaders unded a strike indicator and roll cast really well for that initial "roll cast then pick up".

If anyone wants to try these rods, shoot me a PM/Email and we'll set something up

BK

See you at police going with the wife and inlaws. Bring the Rods.

Rusty, see you soon down here. The 10' 5wt is an awesome chironomiding rod for the lakes in the Cypress Hills areas.

I'll even buy the beer this time. :)

Congrats boys on this!!!!!!! Tim, next time we hook up take one and I will give it a spin. Maybe down the Crow around the 16-17 th????????

Down this weekend with the family and new trailer. Hope to take the boys out for an hour or so.

Will be in touch.

The "nominal fee" is to cover shipping and handling from the warehouse in Burnaby, B.C. Nothing else. I know it brings up ongoing questions, but with mail and courier rates changing(always upwards, have you noticed?) it didn't seem practical to set a specific "amount", because to CYA the shipping would mean charging over and above the true shipping, initially, to cover inflation "down the road". Warranty replacements are shipped at the most reliable and inexpensive way and we are negotiating new rates all the time, in order to keep all our shipping costs down.

By the way, I just spent 3 days "testing" the new Wind Warrior 905-2 and 904-2, chironomiding on some Cariboo, BC stillwaters. These are a couple of sweet sticks, but, when the damn winds came up, the situation called for the 1005-4 to punch a 6wt SA Sharkskin "Magnum" line with indicator, swivel and 15' leader/tippet into the teeth of that "breeze".

j

Wholesale Sports (Calgary) has a very good selection of Amundson reals

priced from $85.00 to about $250.00.

Definately worth taking a look.

I have the TXS 5/7 from Wholesale that I purchased last year on my TFO 905 2PC and I absolutely love it.

2008_09160049.jpg

Forest_Lake_001.jpg

12 lb "Not So Secret Lake" AF3N on the WWF4-1005. I don't know about anyone else, but I had to "learn" new landing techniques for big fish on the 10' rod, in the pontoon. And if I can "plug" the most helpful "accessory", my long-handled Moby Whale C&R net, is a livesaver.... make that arm and fish saver.

j

Thanks for the post Jack. Big nets are a great thing. Glad to hear the 4wt is such a good fishing tool. I like 10ft rods to try and keep fish away from the anchor rope in my tube. The fish looks like she lives in a awesome lake.

We got some triploids put in our community lake. A friend was over sampling some fish. I think they need to go on a diet.

SundanceHogsMay2209001.jpg

A friend of mine is a rod "assembler." We just bought two blanks from Amundson, a 10 ft 6 wt for him and a 10 ft 5 wt for me. I don't really need it, but I am very excited about getting it built! Will post an opinion later this summer.

I had a minor problem with a new Amundson reel recently... Got hold of Jack with Amundson (Great guy)...And he had the problem fixed right away...Great friendly Customer service right here in Canada...Good stuff....Really impressed....Really like the reel...Might have to try casting a rod.... :D ..

Cheers...Jeff..

Got a 5 wt 10' that I use on Bullshead all the time. I'll look for ya (as usual) whenever I'm out there.

I Haven't pounded BH all that much latley...I did at ice off for about 12 days straight....Was even fishing a 10 foot X 10 foot hole in the ice the first day I fished it, and was gettin into a few...LOL......I have been checkin out new waters this spring...Do I dare say "I might be gettin bored of BH?!?!?!" :o ....Have had some fun fishin new waters and meeting new people....I still and always will have a pasion for BH....I gota feelin the triploids are goin to do very well in BH....Anywho...Tim, I would like to give that Rod a try in the next while....Ill p.m. you next time Im headin out and see if we can hook up....

Cheers...Jeff..

There are a couple of prototypes coming in June that will need "real world" testing. Tim will be getting one of each for evaluation related to potential in the market. Two of the new designs are directed toward Alberta fly fishing. Amundson dealers will also be receiving the new fly boxes by mid-June:

39134_34631_30418_24191_21578.jpg

MSRP: $19.95