Fly Fusion Forums

Amundson Pro-staffers Appointed

jack

I test drove the 5wt. and Trend reel that Tim had at BH today. Was really impressed with both rod and reel....although there were more fish hooking up for Tim than I... <--poke--< That reel will definitely be the next purchase I make, once the warden opens up the safe...... That rod was able to punch an indicator through the wind without problem ....and with the extra length it make is really easy to keep the fly off the water.

Glad that rod is working as intended. The design came about from a combination of ideas for long leader chironomid techniques combining punch to combat the afternoon plateau "breezes" on interior B.C. stillwaters.

Two of the protoypes coming are for small streams and rivers with resident "fun-sized" trout. Both are moderate action, one, an 8' 4pc with a "bamboo-like action" and the other will be a "trout spey". Both rod concepts came to me after the Elk River drift and spending a couple of days on the Crow and a trib of the Livingstone.

j

It will be tested this summer, then by September we have to decide if there is a market and if it will fit properly. The idea is bamboo performance, simulated bamboo looks and an extra tip, for a non-bamboo price. 8' 4pc 3/4wt.

j

• 2 weeks later...

I just returned from a two week sabbatical in B.C, where I gave the Amundson product a pretty good workout.

The 10ft Still Water rods proved to be everything they were designed for. These rods pick up 20 foot leaders a lot easier than I expected and boom the line right back out there, making casting from my pontoon a lot easier. The extra foot in length allowed me to open my loops a bit, cutting down on wind knots. From the pontoon the extra length also makes it easy to carry more line when casting, allowing longer casts.

lt may be my imagination, but the extra foot in length also seemed to make it easier to get the fish in the net.

The TXS and Trend reels also worked well. Both are smooth and the drag works vey well on larger fish. (unfortunately I never got to test them on anything over 6lbs:whistle: ).

BK