Fly Fusion Forums

To Guide Or Not

Gil

For a number of years now I've day dreamed of guiding once I retire from my current job. I love to hear from the guides out there as to how they view thier job. Please note I won't retire for another 10 years so you don't have to worry about competition.

For a number of years now I've day dreamed of guiding once I retire from my current job. I love to hear from the guides out there as to how they view thier job. Please note I won't retire for another 10 years so you don't have to worry about competition.

I think you should go for it , as long as you are using a jetboat and take your clients to the confluence in the spring. LMAO

I think you should go for it , as long as you are using a jetboat and take your clients to the confluence in the spring. LMAO
Good one. It's be sure to take along some bait...How about we start a new thread the other is getting tired.

fishhead kind of nailed it in some ways.. it is a tough gig.. not a way too get rich.... its a form of fishing for me totally different from my personal fishing.. i work when i guide and work when i fish but its two kinds of "work"......you can meet some great people and have some good times on the river thats for damn sure! but it can be a challenge also.. if you dont like meeting new people and facing tons of challenges/ some times racking your brain trying too figure out whats happening or not happening with a river... its not teh gig for you. it can be stressful "fishing through someone" but rewarding watching someone progress throughout the day, succeed in meeting there goal or a new one and learn something new.. it can be a hard business too build any type of rep. you halfto prove yourself then keep on delivering day in day out no matter who you take on the water.. expectations from one client too the next can change dramatically aswell all the way from just wanting too get out and have fun, learn something new, chase a trophy, catch em only one way (dryfly usually)... and its your job too do the best too deliver... you not the one who hooks and lands em but sometime when a nice fish is lost by a client u feel more stressed than they do.. like fishhead mentioned u almost halfto enjoy "pain" or slow days when u know its just not in teh cards(shitty weather, crazy wind, muddy water, no risers etc) and some people think you are fish/weather god and u still halfto bite your lip and do your best too deliver.. i personally love guiding and wouldnt imagine doing anything else.. the "bad" clients are few and far between i can assure u that. each day is a new person(sometimes not) and a new challenge with them on teh water..... and i LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would add my peice here but I think max nailed it. You would have to be prepared to take a lot of criticism for any opinion you voice on internet sites like this too, and if you do very well, be prepared to have some haters too, who think they are better than you no matter what you do. Be yourself, have fun, and remember the good days when the bad days are going on, kip your chin up, always stay positive, and remember the fish are the fish, and sometimes there's nothing YOU can do to help someone else catch them, even if you know that if the rod was in your hand, you'd have a few to the net. realize that some people are born with a "fishy" sense... and can catch fish, and some people just can not, no matter what ya do. Guiding is a lot of fun... I miss it a lot.

Someone criticized me on another thread for only fishing 6 different areas. My advice would be, if your going to guide, get to know 6 or 7 different areas like the back of your hand. know them, know each rock and stick, each lie, each individual fish even. Then you know what to expect.. and which clients can catch which fish... some are going to be easier than others. :)

I guided for a few years on the rivers of the Lower mainland, and that really isn't hard fishing, when rolling for salmon..... I can only imagine the pressure the guides must feel when running clients on the Bow, world famous and some times not a trout in sight Good Luck, the most important thing in MY OPINION is to be able to show your clients the adventure.....

but I haven't guided for almost 15 years.

Although my guiding experience is quit a bit different then most others on here, I LOVE IT!!!!!. I dont know that I could guide fly fisherman becasue I dont think I could communicate well enough to people about how to do it. Guides seem to be part guide/part teacher and I doubt I would have the patience for the teaching part. I guide in Ontario at a walleye/pike/Lake trout and bass lodge so there isnt quite so much skill and technique to sitting there bouncing a jig along the bottom. But I have to say generally the most stressfull part of my day there is figuring out which hole to fish next. There are clients you love to fish with and some not so much, but there usually gone in 3 days and the next group is in, so you put up with the bad ones. All and I all would do it all year if I could, but the lodges is only open but 3.5 months. I start season 4 in 2 weeks. Unfortunately leaving a job here every 8 months isnt conducive to long term career development either.

I haven't ever been a guide but in a past life was a golf pro at a pretty sweet golf course. Depending on your expectation making your hobby your career turns into a completely different animal. Being held hostage by having to entertain people that may not "get it" while continually being positive can be a difficult task. There can be lots of great days but it can make your hobby turn into a chore.

I think it depends on your mindset and and how your market yourself as well. As long as you can still keep the pieces that you enjoy and compartmentalize the tough days then you'll be fine.

I am not a guide or have ever been involved in anything similar but if you think you want to do it try it. especially if you are waiting until retirement or semi-retirement and won't be dependent on it as a source of income. You only get one go around if you think your gonna enjoy it do it.

And if you need practice i am happy to go out with you and I won't even charge for the privilege of guiding me.

Let me put it this way, I have a 3 part, full feature article series starting next issue of the Canadian Fly Fisher Magazine, titled "So, you want to be a fly fishing guide?" I could write a book about the subject, and there's no shortage of stories to be told. It takes a look at the psychology of, the economics of, and the guide-client relationship (aka communicating expectations). Hopefully it will be received in the light I wrote it. It was a risk writing it, as there are some out there that would love to bury a guy for stepping out with this kind of piece. I would encourage anyone who has ever thought about embarking on any kind of a guide career to seriously consider some of the points I mention before jumping in. For those that don't, it's a break even on life endeavor, at best.

If I could, the lead to the series:

"I sit in front of my computer, my mind jumping from thought to thought like a pinball. I could write a book on the subject, how can I condense my thoughts to words that reflect the true essence of my world? Every day I am on the water with a guest is a story. Every off season spent marketing our company to garner bookings leads to a self fulfilling tail spin of keeping us doing what we do. It’s a life that gives you all you can take but takes more from you than most people can handle, which is why so few of us survive even 5 years in this business. There are days where I stand on top of the world in pride that I’ve accomplished a great deal, coming from nothing and growing into success in a difficult industry to do so. There are days that I feel so insignificant, that my contribution to society is passed over with so few recognizing it. After 13 years of guiding fly fishing, there are no more answers to either extreme than the first day I shook a customer’s hand."

Hope that provides some perspective.

Thanks for all the responces. I really appretiate hearing the different perspectives. For me guiding will remain a dream for awhile yet. Although the stress of my current job really gets to me a times, I want a degree of fininacial independance before I quit my current job. I will however give it a shot at some point before I get too old.

Well now that you have your own boat Gil, spend the next 10 years guiding yourself and your friends.Once you get a newbie in your boat you will find out just how hard it is.

I have a pretty long que of newbies lined up already starting with my wife who has never had a rod in her hand. I have a feeling she is going to be one tough client.

I have a pretty long que of newbies lined up already starting with my wife who has never had a rod in her hand. I have a feeling she is going to be one tough client.

You better be happily married getting into the boat because then you'll still be married by the time you get out. :P

You better be happily married getting into the boat because then you'll still be married by the time you get out. :P

Yes but if you can get that "client" hooked... you'll have a long happy life ahead with some great joys on the water. May the fish gods smile upon your first trip down the river with her :)

Yes but if you can get that "client" hooked... you'll have a long happy life ahead with some great joys on the water. May the fish gods smile upon your first trip down the river with her :)
Spending every weekend with my wife eh?? Hmmm... I might need to think this over again...

so....how many guides are there in calgary? is it even worth it to get involved? with so many guides, with names already made, why would anyone choose a nameless faceless newbie? (no offense) which brings me to another point. when are we gonna implement some sort of regulation on guiding so that not just anyone can decide one day to be a guide. i bet most guides here just row the boat 15 feet from shore all day. there should be a certain amount of knowledge needed to justify the $500 a day fee most charge. devise an exam that would determine the anglers knowledge of the river and its insects lifecycle. cause even my little sister could recite the bows hatch chart.

dont get me wrong, ive seen many expert anglers come outta the bow. ive been on many floats and ive seen the skill and knowledge first hand. these are guides i consider to be worthy of being called so.

Spending every weekend with my wife eh?? Hmmm... I might need to think this over again...

LOL... yeah. sometimes ya just gotta get away too :)

You know what GOLF stands for right?

Gents Only, Ladies Forbidden. We screwed that up pretty bad now though ..... :)

... a 3 part, full feature article series starting next issue of the Canadian Fly Fisher Magazine, titled "So, you want to be a fly fishing guide?"

Hopefully it will be received in the light I wrote it. It was a risk writing it, as there are some out there that would love to bury a guy for stepping out with this kind of piece. I would encourage anyone who has ever thought about embarking on any kind of a guide career to seriously consider some of the points I mention before jumping in. For those that don't, it's a break even on life endeavor, at best.

look forward to reading that! i think if i had fewer 'commitments' i'd get schooled up proper & try working in the biz for real in some way/somewhere.

i've taken completely green people down the river and we've had, for the most part, tremendously fun/successful days and i've truly had a blast 'pretending' to be a guide of sorts.

but it's usually someone i know, friends of friends, etc. and there's no $$ in it [so i don't do that to put bread on the table]. and i realize that is a very different deal with very very different expectations.

that's a topic that's been left on the riverbank gasping for air several times over...

http://flyfishcalgary.com/board/index.php?...licenced+guides

And it was brought up at the round table last weekend. They are going to form a group to look into the pro's and con's and go from there.

So it is being looked into but what comes out of that ?????