Fly Fusion Forums

Fly Fishing Club

Welcome HB (and friend)!

You get all that right here (though you'll have to practice on your own or come out with someone on the board)! We're a wealth of knowledge and information (and we try to have a little fun inbetween)!

Tight lines!

Cheers,

Peter

Hey there, a friend and I starting fly fishing last August so we are very new to the sport. I was hoping someone could recommend a fly fishing club that incorporates casting practice and river reading.

The Hook and hackle club is good. mostly seems to be centred around tying but also I would suspect they cover what you are looking for. they meet every second wednesday(second and last wednesday of the month I believe). also some option are taking any one of the many Flyfishing courses offered by the fly shops. I took the one From fishtales and learned a good amount. Third option is take a guided trip. through oneof the shops and they will be able to teach you what you need as well. fourth option post in the fish get togethers section and get out with some fellow board members and watch and learn there is a great bunch of folks here that will be happy to give some pointers.

tightlines and welcome to the site

Teck

The Hook and hackle club is good. mostly seems to be centred around tying but also I would suspect they cover what you are looking for. they meet every second wednesday(second and last wednesday of the month I believe). also some option are taking any one of the many Flyfishing courses offered by the fly shops. I took the one From fishtales and learned a good amount. Third option is take a guided trip. through oneof the shops and they will be able to teach you what you need as well. fourth option post in the fish get togethers section and get out with some fellow board members and watch and learn there is a great bunch of folks here that will be happy to give some pointers.

tightlines and welcome to the site

Teck

We have a trip with Dee Chatani and one with Jim Mclennan this summer but I was hoping not to look too rediculous when I get there. :)

What you can do for casting practice is tie a piece of yarn to the end of your leader, go to the local field Set a pie plate out and about 30 ft to start casting till your hitting the plate 80-90% of the time, then move the plate 10ft to the right, same thing, the to the left same thing. then increase the distance 5ft and do the same thing. It is great to be able to bomb a cast out till you see your backing but to be able to put your cast on the mark will put more fish in your net.

but money is always best spent on lessons.

Teck

Edit: Pie plate and 80-90% might be to eager but puting your yard with in 3ft of that plate is good to be in the zone.

And have fun learning.

What you can do for casting practice is tie a piece of yarn to the end of your leader, go to the local field Set a pie plate out and about 30 ft to start casting till your hitting the plate 80-90% of the time, then move the plate 10ft to the right, same thing, the to the left same thing. then increase the distance 5ft and do the same thing. It is great to be able to bomb a cast out till you see your backing but to be able to put your cast on the mark will put more fish in your net.

but money is always best spent on lessons.

Teck

Thanks, I've got a really big back yard out in Chestermere so I can avoid having an audience. I will definately be giving it a try.

Want to add what Teck suggested. I personally would start with a ~15 foot cast. Depending on the chosen fishing method, but 90% of the time you shouldn't have to cast further than 5o feet, hell even 20 feet. Its all about being quiet and taking your time approaching the fish/water. Most people just think they need to jump into the water and work water further out, when in reality you just stepped on 70% of the fish in that run.

Your trips are with two of the finest Bow river fishermen. I would suggest you do a lot of listening and asking questions when you are out with these two gentlemen. Their skill level is high and experience vast...do your best to be the perfect student on those days. They have a lot to offer.

Want to add what Teck suggested. I personally would start with a ~15 foot cast. Depending on the chosen fishing method, but 90% of the time you shouldn't have to cast further than 5o feet, hell even 20 feet. Its all about being quiet and taking your time approaching the fish/water. Most people just think they need to jump into the water and work water further out, when in reality you just stepped on 70% of the fish in that run.

You definately must have been watching me fly fish last year. lol

The Hook and hackle club is good. mostly seems to be centred around tying but also I would suspect they cover what you are looking for. they meet every second wednesday(second and last wednesday of the month I believe).

The Hook and Hackle has a casting clinic on one of their last meetings in June, some of the members are guides and they have a small barbeque going on at the same time. There is casting instruction from rank beginner to advanced.

We have a trip with Dee Chatani and one with Jim Mclennan this summer but I was hoping not to look too rediculous when I get there. :)

My first trip on The Bow was with Dee. I had never even touched a fly rod before that day. Caught a fish on my second cast with a streamer. I called it a "suicide fish."

Dee is just fantastic. I ended up catching like 5 or 6 doing hopper/dropper (though I didn't know a hopper from a dropper then) that day which I though was awesome considering my casting skills were ummmm, limited. I ldr'd a bunch more. That day totally hooked my on fly fishing. Listen and you will certainly learn.

Excellent choice of guides!

I wouldn't be too worried about looking ridiculous in front of Dee or Jim. Pretty good chance that those two have seen it all as they've been fishing, and guiding on the Bow before a good number of the members on this forum were even born. If you pick up even a fraction of what these two can teach you, you'll have plenty of success.

Hello all,

I'm not sure how to introduce myself here except to say that I'm the friend that HappyBrown mentioned in this thread. Looks like we could be in for some decent weather this weekend. I'm pretty sure I'll be out on the Bow despite the muddy waters I've been seeing. It'll be well worth it just to be out practicing. Who knows...it may turn out to be the best day of fly fishing I've ever experienced! (that would only take 1 decent sized fish to be landed, hehe)

Looking forward to the forum as there is certainly a lot of information and local expertise here!