Fly Fusion Forums

Midge Emerger

TerryH

When I was fishing the Crow last week, there were a lot of midges coming off, and I could see quite a few fish taking them just under the surface. As always happens, my "emergers" box was back in the truck. I tried some shallow nymphing with a mountain midge pattern, but without success on the risers. The fish I caught that day were all taken on the bottom. Anyway, that got me thinking about midge emerger patterns, because I wanted to be better equipped next time I encountered fish taking emergers in the film. The result is the pattern shown below. It's a take on the Palomino midge emerger. I dubbed it (that's a pun) the Mighty Midge, but I've subsequently discovered that name is taken, therefore, it shall be known as "Terry's Midge." :lol:

Interestingly, the next three times I was out, I didn't see a single rising fish despite there being a lot of midges hatching. So last Saturday, I just tied one on as the bottom fly in a two nymph rig. Catching a rainbow right away, I radioed my son who switched up as well, and we went on to have a great day, with almost all the fish being caught on this pattern. Therefore, it's been field tested and did pretty well fished as a regular midge pupa pattern. I'm still waiting to try it out on rising fish.

2236.jpg

Recipe:

Hook: TMC 2487 #18-#22 (fly in the photo is #18)

Thread: black 8/0

Extended body: furled black stretch floss

Thorax: Black UV ice dub

Wing case: white Z-lon or antron

Great looking Midge. Did you ever try out that stillborn midge you tied for a swap years ago?

Thanks Darren. No, I only kept a couple of those stillborn midges -- all the rest went in the swap. Since they took forever to tie, I can't bring myself to sacrifice any to the water. Guess it's one of those patterns that are meant for looking at, not fishing.

BBT -- Dave knows I can't keep a secret. :lol: In the end, I like to share information -- if not, then what's the point of this forum. Terry

Guest Dennis59

Terry very nice I will have some of those in my box real soon. Have you tried it in other colours.

Thanks for sharing.

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S :laxfisher::fish_jump:

Terry very nice I will have some of those in my box real soon. Have you tried it in other colours.

Thanks for sharing.

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S :laxfisher::fish_jump:

Dennis, I haven't yet. I have been toying with the idea of doing similar patterns for PMD, BWO, and Greendrake emergers. I'll be experimenting as the season develops. Terry

Nice looking fly Terry.

Last week, we caught most of our fish on red or black pupa. The rising fish were taking both emergers and adults.

The 2 I landed on dries were fooled with an 18 Par. adams. Low in the film, but the white post helped me see it. The ol parachute adams has always worked well for me on finicky fish!!!

Looking forward to getting down again soon.

...........What's your technique for furling the floss? .........

Cut a piece of stretch floss about 2" to 3" (you need it that long for ease of handling). I hold one end in my left hand and grip the other with hackle pliers in my right hand. Spin the hackle pliers until the floss is tightly wound (experiment a bit to get it right). At that point, just move the two ends together, and you'll get a portion that starts to twist on itself, like a piece of rope. Then it gets tricky. You have to grip the "ropey" segement to keep it from untwisting. Then tie it on top of the hook shank at about the halfway point. You want the furled segment to be about one hook shank long. Have fun. Terry

Cut a piece of stretch floss about 2" to 3" (you need it that long for ease of handling). I hold one end in my left hand and grip the other with hackle pliers in my right hand. Spin the hackle pliers until the floss is tightly wound (experiment a bit to get it right). At that point, just move the two ends together, and you'll get a portion that starts to twist on itself, like a piece of rope. Then it gets tricky. You have to grip the "ropey" segement to keep it from untwisting. Then tie it on top of the hook shank at about the halfway point. You want the furled segment to be about one hook shank long. Have fun. Terry

I haven't furled stretch floss before, but what I do when making fulred flies is tie one end on top of the hook and spin the material, and continue to do what Terry does. It may help eliminate that step that Terry finds hard to stop the segment from unwrapping.

I haven't furled stretch floss before, but what I do when making fulred flies is tie one end on top of the hook and spin the material, and continue to do what Terry does. It may help eliminate that step that Terry finds hard to stop the segment from unwrapping.

Good tip Din. I just gave your suggestion a try, and it does make things easier, and you waste less material. Thanks. Terry

Guest Dennis59

Terry Vince told me about the little bit of snow you got down your way. Lucky you left the seminar when you did.

It was good to see you out to the Whitlock show.

Got thinking about that midge pattern again and got thinking it would be neat to add a piece of crystal flash and twist with the strech floss. I'll tie up a couple maybe post if it looks ok

Enjoy that Mustang vest you won Sunday.

Tight Lines Always

Dennis :laxfisher::fish_jump:

...........Got thinking about that midge pattern again and got thinking it would be neat to add a piece of crystal flash and twist with the strech floss.........
That would definitely be worth a try. One could also split the stretch floss strands, and then combine two colours -- e.g. black and grey, red and grey, etc. etc.

The Whitlock seminar was fun -- thanks to all you guys for organizing it. Oh and the draw prizes were pretty nice too :lol:. Terry

Terry, are you coming up to Lethbridge for the conclave this weekend?
Paul, unfortunately no. I did the trip up to Edmonton last weekend for the Dave & Emily Whitlock seminar, and that's enough road tripping for a while. If the weather cooperates, I'll be fishing this weekend. Terry