Fly Fusion Forums

About Speeding Through A Green Light

Note this about speeding through a GREEN light not running a red one.

Here is a list of the 44 intersections that have the new speed on green cameras. Until April 1st, you will only get a warning.

Macleod Tr / 162 Av SE

Macleod Tr /12 Ave SE

Centre St/ 20 Ave N

John Laurie Bv / 53 St NW

68ST /16 Ave NE

Sarcee Tr / Richmond Rd SW

4 St / 6 Ave SW

61 Ave / Barlow Tr SE

Crowchild Tr / 24 Ave NW

11 Ave / 4 St SW

11 Ave / 14 St SW

17 Ave / 44 St SE

14 St / Heritage Dr SW

14 St / Northmount Dr NW

64 Ave / 4 St NE

Anderson Rd / Acadia Dr SE

9 Ave / 11 St SW

Barlow Ttr / 32 Ave NE

52 ST / 32 AVE NE

Bowness Rd / Shaganappi Tr NW

Canyon Meadows Dr / Bowbottom Tr SE

Southland Dr / Acadia Dr SE

Fairmount Dr / Southland Dr SE

Elbow Dr / Southland Dr SW

Beddington Tr / Centre St N

Falconridge Bv / 64 Av NE

1 Street / 17 Ave SE

McKnight Bv / Barlow Tr NE

Barlow Tr / Centre Av E

Shaganappi Tr / Northland Dr NW

Blackfoot Tr / 42 Ave SE

Memorial Dr / 52 St NE

16 Ave / 10 Street NW

Edmonton Tr / McKnight BV NE

Memorial Dr / 28 St NE

Macleod Tr / 7 Ave SE

Bow Tr / 33 St SW

17 Ave / 33 St SW

Elbow Dr / Heritage Dr SW

Country Hills Bv / Beddington Tr NW

Glenmore Tr / Barlow Tr SE

McKnight Bv / Falconridge Bv NE

Macleod Tr / 25 Av SE

Country Hills BV / 14 St NW

Lets all have a contest to see who can get the most warnings until april 1st. Winner gets a free day of fishing the upper oldman with me using hot-dogs on pickeral rigs. ;)

But seriously, that sounds super annoying. :zip it: :curse:

Guest Sundancefisher

If you need to speed through the intersections...just make sure you just go through the intersection backwards so that the camera can not see your licence plate.

I've been doing some unofficial research on speeding and the results have been surprising.

Obviously speeding in the city will get you no further ahead whatsoever, you may make it through the extra green light or 2 by whipping through traffic but you will only be stopped at the next one. I have noted very few instances where I have made up any time by racing around the city, plus like birchy noted you are only increasing your risk of a collision.

On the highway it can be tricky. I live in Edmonton and am dating a girl in Canmore so I am on the highway quite a bit and my findings are somewhat mixed. There is obviously a ratio of kms driven to speed, simply the farther you drive the more time you can make up by speeding. I can tell you that on highway 2 between Edmonton and Calgary you literally have to maintain a speed of at least 130km to make up any substantial amount of time. Otherwise the time gained is negligible, I would go as far to say that the the time you save by going 130 is taken off your actual life expectancy by ten times just by trying to get around the people doing 115kms. I went on a roadtrip with a buddy to the coast a few years back and we both drove as our itineraries differed slightly. He had his wife and made a fair dash for it with one break for lunch, I was howling and stopped only for gas. We left in tandem and in the end I beat him to Chiliwack (our first stop) by a solid hour. Our driving experience was drastically different though, I was beat and frazzled by all the tailgating, single lane passing and just all around stress from trying to get around all the RV's and trucks. In addition to that besides speeding I also broke many other traffic laws such as passing on a solid line as well as stupidity laws like passing 6 cars at a time at 150km/hr or taking chances on blind corners. Ultimately I'm not sure the hour I made was worth it, especially if you consider the added risk. They showed up relaxed and easy with a smile on their faces, I believe I was having a nap.

So, due to my findings here is how I drive now. In the city I rarely speed, it's better for fuel economy and because of the army of cameras out there it's better for wallet economy as well. I find when I just go with the flow I get road rage far less often and arrive at my destination more or less at the same time.

On the highway I do what I like to call dynamic driving (my girlfriend is not overly fond of this term or practice) but it involves speeding for certain instances. I find the big stress builder and time killer is being involved in the big peleton. When traffic is bunched up and you are driving behind a line of vehicles, even if they are going the same speed as you, will only slow you down. Inevitably the pack will reach slower moving traffic and then everyone has to cue up to pass which will always involve the use of brakes, especially if cruise control guy refuses to hit the gas to pass and does the leisurely take over at 112kms. So I will drive whatever speed necessary to get myself some space in between packs and then maintain a speed that will keep me out of traffic, when I get to slower traffic I give some gas and make quick work of the take over and then resume to my cruising speed of about 121kms. If someone comes past me at 140 I will sometimes pull out behind the and let them take me along past a pack or 2 before easing back.

I have yet to get a radar ticket despite burning past a cruiser at 125, which I figure on highway 2 is the threshold. Door to door from downtown Edmonton to Canmore is 4 hours no matter how you slice it and even on the redeye trips where I really push it I've only ever been able to shave off 20 mins. which you could attribute to many other factors besides speeding.

So there are my unofficial useless findings on speeding. I would say pound for pound it's not worth it.

On an unrelated note I had always taken the detour through Airdrie and Cochrane based on hearsay that it saved up to 15 min. I am going on record to say it's utter caca. It should be said that I rarely am passing through Calgary at peak times but I go right up 16th and the time is exactly the same. 45 minutes from Airdrie to highway 1 via Cochrane and exactly the same to go into Calgary and through the 50 lights on 16th. Now if there were a pile up on the deerfoot I would likely eat my words but in the past 6 months that I've been doing this experiment the results have been the same every time. I weigh out the possibility of hitting an accident in Calgary against the slow ass sunday drivers, single lane mayhem of the "shortcut go around" and it's a no brainer for me. Not to mention the fact that the odds of there being radar somewhere around Cochrane at about 98% and those cops are not friendly folks from what I understand. The Calgary route also cuts down on the odds that you'll have the lovely 180km/hr headwind on the weird little weather belt between Airdrie and Cochrane.

Anyone have any evidence to support or refute my findings?

I've been doing some unofficial research on speeding and the results have been surprising.

Obviously speeding in the city will get you no further ahead whatsoever, you may make it through the extra green light or 2 by whipping through traffic but you will only be stopped at the next one. I have noted very few instances where I have made up any time by racing around the city, plus like birchy noted you are only increasing your risk of a collision.

On the highway it can be tricky. I live in Edmonton and am dating a girl in Canmore so I am on the highway quite a bit and my findings are somewhat mixed. There is obviously a ratio of kms driven to speed, simply the farther you drive the more time you can make up by speeding. I can tell you that on highway 2 between Edmonton and Calgary you literally have to maintain a speed of at least 130km to make up any substantial amount of time. Otherwise the time gained is negligible, I would go as far to say that the the time you save by going 130 is taken off your actual life expectancy by ten times just by trying to get around the people doing 115kms. I went on a roadtrip with a buddy to the coast a few years back and we both drove as our itineraries differed slightly. He had his wife and made a fair dash for it with one break for lunch, I was howling and stopped only for gas. We left in tandem and in the end I beat him to Chiliwack (our first stop) by a solid hour. Our driving experience was drastically different though, I was beat and frazzled by all the tailgating, single lane passing and just all around stress from trying to get around all the RV's and trucks. In addition to that besides speeding I also broke many other traffic laws such as passing on a solid line as well as stupidity laws like passing 6 cars at a time at 150km/hr or taking chances on blind corners. Ultimately I'm not sure the hour I made was worth it, especially if you consider the added risk. They showed up relaxed and easy with a smile on their faces, I believe I was having a nap.

So, due to my findings here is how I drive now. In the city I rarely speed, it's better for fuel economy and because of the army of cameras out there it's better for wallet economy as well. I find when I just go with the flow I get road rage far less often and arrive at my destination more or less at the same time.

On the highway I do what I like to call dynamic driving (my girlfriend is not overly fond of this term or practice) but it involves speeding for certain instances. I find the big stress builder and time killer is being involved in the big peleton. When traffic is bunched up and you are driving behind a line of vehicles, even if they are going the same speed as you, will only slow you down. Inevitably the pack will reach slower moving traffic and then everyone has to cue up to pass which will always involve the use of brakes, especially if cruise control guy refuses to hit the gas to pass and does the leisurely take over at 112kms. So I will drive whatever speed necessary to get myself some space in between packs and then maintain a speed that will keep me out of traffic, when I get to slower traffic I give some gas and make quick work of the take over and then resume to my cruising speed of about 121kms. If someone comes past me at 140 I will sometimes pull out behind the and let them take me along past a pack or 2 before easing back.

I have yet to get a radar ticket despite burning past a cruiser at 125, which I figure on highway 2 is the threshold. Door to door from downtown Edmonton to Canmore is 4 hours no matter how you slice it and even on the redeye trips where I really push it I've only ever been able to shave off 20 mins. which you could attribute to many other factors besides speeding.

So there are my unofficial useless findings on speeding. I would say pound for pound it's not worth it.

On an unrelated note I had always taken the detour through Airdrie and Cochrane based on hearsay that it saved up to 15 min. I am going on record to say it's utter caca. It should be said that I rarely am passing through Calgary at peak times but I go right up 16th and the time is exactly the same. 45 minutes from Airdrie to highway 1 via Cochrane and exactly the same to go into Calgary and through the 50 lights on 16th. Now if there were a pile up on the deerfoot I would likely eat my words but in the past 6 months that I've been doing this experiment the results have been the same every time. I weigh out the possibility of hitting an accident in Calgary against the slow ass sunday drivers, single lane mayhem of the "shortcut go around" and it's a no brainer for me. Not to mention the fact that the odds of there being radar somewhere around Cochrane at about 98% and those cops are not friendly folks from what I understand. The Calgary route also cuts down on the odds that you'll have the lovely 180km/hr headwind on the weird little weather belt between Airdrie and Cochrane.

Sounds to me like you just need to move to Canmore......

I do ALOT of hwy driving. There are places where time can be made up via speeding, but dube is right, it has to be a fairly significant distance to make it worth it. The west country is not one of these places. There are only so many places where a person can speed just due to the roads/topography. The RCMP/Sheriffs/County Mounties know where these places are and just do laps. East of hwy 2 is different story. With the exception of the Drumheller area, just pick a secondary and let 'er rip. Within reason of course, depending of road conditions, vehicle, ect. my max speed where I feel comfortable is about 140.

Guest Sundancefisher

Are you admitting to speeding in writing and can we all split the TIPS reward and put it towards tackle? :cheers:

Seriously though...a lifetime of speeding will all be wasted after one accident...and a life will most likely be lost also.

I think the majority of speeders are going less than 10% over the limit. 109 in a 100 zone etc. 130 or 140 is just plain irresponsible and dangerous to everyone around you. Speeding through an intersection is russian roulette on some poor 4 years olds life in the other vehicle. Plus less face it...there are many bad drivers out there and while you (general person) think you are good...it just takes that one split second of meeting a really bad driver that makes you wish you had more decision time before the impact.

Also...someone going 95 in a 100 zone is just as bad as doing 120 IMHO.

Cheers

Sun

Are you admitting to speeding in writing and can we all split the TIPS reward and put it towards tackle? :cheers:

Seriously though...a lifetime of speeding will all be wasted after one accident...and a life will most likely be lost also.

I think the majority of speeders are going less than 10% over the limit. 109 in a 100 zone etc. 130 or 140 is just plain irresponsible and dangerous to everyone around you. Speeding through an intersection is russian roulette on some poor 4 years olds life in the other vehicle. Plus less face it...there are many bad drivers out there and while you (general person) think you are good...it just takes that one split second of meeting a really bad driver that makes you wish you had more decision time before the impact.

Also...someone going 95 in a 100 zone is just as bad as doing 120 IMHO.

Cheers

Sun

Agreed!

The only problem there should be is that everyone's speedometer is going to have slight variances. Hence, that "idiot" in front of you is going 100 in a 100 zone, when your thinking he's a jackaZZ for going 95 in a 100 zone, while at the same time he thinks YOUR a jackaZZ for tailgating him. :D

Please don't speed people. I got a wife and 4 kids. You all bitch and moan about reckless truckers ... a jackazz in a car is every bit as much of a hazard and a threat to killing someone, as a jackazz in a big rig. 99% of all accidents are caused by cars/vans/pickups. Be carefull out there. I got a lot of fishing left to do...

The only problem there should be is that everyone's speedometer is going to have slight variances. Hence, that "idiot" in front of you is going 100 in a 100 zone, when your thinking he's a jackaZZ for going 95 in a 100 zone, while at the same time he thinks YOUR a jackaZZ for tailgating him. :D

Please don't speed people. I got a wife and 4 kids. You all bitch and moan about reckless truckers ... a jackazz in a car is every bit as much of a hazard and a threat to killing someone, as a jackazz in a big rig. 99% of all accidents are caused by cars/vans/pickups. Be carefull out there. I got a lot of fishing left to do...

Very good point as well Brian. Since I've gotten a Blackberry with GPS.. I've been turning it on while on road trips just to see. Surprising to see the variance in the speedometer in some of the different vehicles I've driven!

Very good point as well Brian. Since I've gotten a Blackberry with GPS.. I've been turning it on while on road trips just to see. Surprising to see the variance in the speedometer in some of the different vehicles I've driven!

Don't forget the GPS has a margin of error as well. Something like up to 3 metres or so I think.

While speeding excessively may be bad, let's not forget there are tons of other behaviours while driving that are much more likely to cause accidents in my opinion. Tailgating, changing cd's, eating, reaching for that dropped cigarette, dialing a phone, texting, yelling at the kids in the back seat, reading (yes I've seen this in rush hour traffic), and the list goes on. The girl who I saw with a smoke in one hand, cell phone in the other and steering with her elbows the other day in Arbour Lake wasn't speeding.

These cameras aren't a safety measure so much as a cash cow. When you go speeding by photo radar you don't get the ticket until a couple weeks later so you continue speeding on your way. You could get multiple photo radar tickets in a single day without it having any effect on your driving. It isn't an immediate deterrent like a cop pulling you over. Eventually people will learn where the cameras are and slow down through those intersections then speed up again anyway.

My 16 yr old is in the process of obtaining his license, so I've been driving a lot with him lately. One of the hardest things for him to get his head around is what is the "point of no return" when approaching a yellow. I think the biggest problem is the goal of the yellow has changed over the years--from as a guide for when to safely stop to a tool telling you when to speed up to beat the red. While teaching Ben, I've been really paying attention to red light behavior, and it is pretty appalling. If the truth be known, I am fully in favor of red light camera's. I don't care if it is a cash grab or not. If it helps change behavior, I am all for it. I remember talking to a cop once about the rules for running a yellow. If you speed up to beat the yellow, it is a ticketable offense, whether you beat the yellow or not. These camera's will catch you if you do it. No problem with me.

Hawg, I couldn't agree more on your point that the VAST majority of accidents are due to cars/passenger vehicles, proportionally more than the number of passenger vehicles to big trucks. Problem is that when a accident happens with a big rig, the results can be horrific and therefore get lots of press. This can give truckers in general an undeserved bad name. I really believe most thinking people are a bit immune to media sensationalism. Or at least I hope so

I hate driving to the Okee because of all the "good" drivers. I once had a minivan with full family in tow pass me and about 10 other cars on a double line inside bend. He ended up forcing an oncoming car off the road.

The beatiful thing about it? It was a cop car. He did a U turn, past us all and pulled the van over. Boy, did he look mad. I hope the driver got jail time and his kids sent to a foster home.

Rick, as for the yellow lights. I'm not so sure about Calgary but in Edmonton most of the major intersections have pedestrians timers so you can actually see precisely when it's going to turn. As I'm approaching I glance at the cross light and have on many occasions started braking before it goes yellow.

I agree with the point about speeding not being the only way to cause an accident and I hate to start *hit but parents with a vehicle full of kids are some of the top offenders. Classic baby on board scenario and the person driving has got one hand on the wheel and is reaching into the back fussing with kids or unwrapping food. I love the women putting on make-up while in morning rush hour. I saw a kid today texting for about 30 blocks.

I have seen people reading books on hwy 2 while driving.

I'm not proud of some of my reckless behavior while driving and it's suddenly starting to don on me of the potential consequences of dangerous driving. It's an important time in a mans life when he starts to understand he may not be invincible or know everything.

My main objective while driving is to create space for my self both in front and behind if possible. I would say the leading cause of accidents is following too close.

My experimenting has led me to this conclusion.

On hwy 2 specifically, there are 4 main categories of drivers. The clueless scared shitless ones. The do the speed limit no matter what group. The moderate speeders (who in most cases don't really consider themselves speeders) and the ridiculous speeders. The majority of traffic is doing around 115-120. If you drive too fast, say 130, you are constantly coming up on people and having to brake constantly. If you are doing the speed limit you are almost a hazard because people are piling up behind you getting frustrated and making reckless decisions. My theory is to do about 122, I'm staying ahead of the average traffic and out of the big packs of vehicles but am not moving between packs as often so I can nearly always make big open space for myself and can maintain a steady speed for longer periods. When I do go to pass someone I speed up so that I can pass quickly and avoid being in someones blind spot which is something I despise. At that speed the cops will not even look at me, I get passed by someone doing at least 150 every time I drive on that highway.

Going back to my last post, my point being was that after trying different things such as excessive speeding and dickhead moves like the multi car pass on long swooping curves in B.C I have finally realized that driving like that will end up in me killing someone and when it really comes down to it is getting me where I'm going no sooner in any event. Pointless and dangerous. I have to call the girlfriend before I leave now and she gives me *hit if I show up too fast, in a lot of cases it takes having a kid to understand how precious life is so I'm fortunate to be getting it before I make a decisions I'm not ready to pay the consequences for. Whether it be from losing control and causing an accident or getting shot for giving someone the finger.

Last time I drove back from Canmore the roads were crap and I drove between 80 -100 the entire way and did not take as long as I expected. I had tried different things with speeding but never with going below average as a reference. It got me to thinking. And like I said, driving in a relaxed moderate manner is so much easier on the nerves. I drive a lot and have taken years off my life getting stressed in traffic and am getting quite tired of it.

I have been really lucky so far and don't wish to push my luck any further.

I agree with the point about speeding not being the only way to cause an accident and I hate to start *hit but parents with a vehicle full of kids are some of the top offenders.

There's a school zone and playground zone that I have to pass through on my way to and from home. The people I see speeding through them most often? Moms with kids in the vehicle (after all, her kids are safe in the vehicle, not playing in the area). I'll bet if I sped through the school zone where her kids were she wouldn't be so happy about it though. And by the way, I never speed through these zones. In fact I have no demerits on my license and haven't gotten a ticket of any kind this millennium. Naturally now that I've said that I'll get a ticket tomorrow morning...

It got me to thinking. And like I said, driving in a relaxed moderate manner is so much easier on the nerves. I drive a lot and have taken years off my life getting stressed in traffic

That's one thing driving the big rig taught me. I'll drive 13 hours in a day, and see the same car pass me 6 or 7 times, each time speeding, and passing dangerously. I figure they must be stopping to relax, take a nerve break, get coffee, take a dump becuase they did a bonehead move that caused a bowel movement, ...whatever.... and at the end of the day I got as far as they did, without making one single move that put anyone in any additional jeopordy (other than being on the road, in general).

so... is the speeding and dickhead brainless moves worth your life, or someone else's? I don't think so. I've seen firsthand the horrific tragedy of more than a few people who "couldn't wait to get there". I urge everyone who reads this post to consider that. We all got a lot of fishing left to do.

My 16 yr old is in the process of obtaining his license, so I've been driving a lot with him lately. One of the hardest things for him to get his head around is what is the "point of no return" when approaching a yellow. I think the biggest problem is the goal of the yellow has changed over the years--from as a guide for when to safely stop to a tool telling you when to speed up to beat the red. While teaching Ben, I've been really paying attention to red light behavior, and it is pretty appalling. If the truth be known, I am fully in favor of red light camera's. I don't care if it is a cash grab or not. If it helps change behavior, I am all for it. I remember talking to a cop once about the rules for running a yellow. If you speed up to beat the yellow, it is a ticketable offense, whether you beat the yellow or not. These camera's will catch you if you do it. No problem with me.

Hawg, I couldn't agree more on your point that the VAST majority of accidents are due to cars/passenger vehicles, proportionally more than the number of passenger vehicles to big trucks. Problem is that when a accident happens with a big rig, the results can be horrific and therefore get lots of press. This can give truckers in general an undeserved bad name. I really believe most thinking people are a bit immune to media sensationalism. Or at least I hope so

OMG, Ben is driving, the sidewalks are no longer safe.

On a serious note I have to agree with what most people say with Speeding is Speeding plain and simple, weather it is 1mph over or 100mph its all the same.

Also speed limits are posted as IDEAL conditions, so if the road conidtions are shitty you are responsable as the drive to adjust your speed to the conditions. I had a friend years ago that was going down a hill and hit some gravel and slid into the back of a bronco, even though he was doing the speed limit he was charged with following to close.

I drive as fast as I can afford, and even a small ticket is the price of a rod or a decent weekend fishing in the mountains I can't afford to speed. and school and playground zone speeders drive me nuts. I think speed fines should triple in those zones

They're talking about giving out careles driving charges instead of just a speeding ticket. Problem is, the law states that officers must physically be holding the driver's license in order to issue this ticket. So if you get one, fight it because if you get this charge it also amounts to a 50% surcharge on your insurance!!