Fly Fusion Forums

Lynx Photos

Pipestoneflyguy

Here are some Lynx photos I took yesterday - he was stalking a carrion cache, sadly the fact he allowed me to get 10-12 feet away is a pretty good indicator the poor little fella is likely starving. I also took a roll of Tmax 100 B&W which ought come out pretty awesome. I love the shot of him sniffing, this was the moment he became aware of my presence, amazingly he did not flee.

DSCF1184.jpg

This one is decieving - It gives the impression I have made eye contact but in fact I only did through my view finder otherwise he would have taken off which is exactly what happened when I finally did make eye contact

DSCF1192.jpg

The Friend I was with approached so I could get this one

DSCF1193.jpg

I love his "stub" - the tracks he left are larger than the palm of my hand - it is amazing that in that 3 foot deep soft snow he is only sinking an inch or two.

DSCF1196.jpg

I cant believe people actually shoot those..

With a camera? Otherwise they are protected as a furbearer and cannot be hunted, only trapped, or euthanized if they are considered problem wildlife.

Awesome pics and thanks for sharing.

Perhaps I'm wrong but Indians can take 'em? Saw a ton of them in the Chinchaga area when I was working up there a few years ago. They'd stand on the side of the lease roads, we'd pull up, and they wouldn't even run away. Beauty animal, though the eyes give me the willies... Awesome pics.

JKknijders I believe the natives can harvest them although it has to be on crown land or land they have permission on. I would have to dig through the trappers act to see, but I still think its illegal for status natives to shoot them, although if it ever went to court it would be superceded by subsistence rights and thrown out of court with no charges sticking.

Kinda messed up huh? Legal to snare, etc, illegal to shoot.. I had some traps when I was younger, got money for gopher tails at the county office. Had a fair number not killed clean by the trap, (seeing my mother holding a garbage bag with a not-quite-dead trapped gopher in it onto the car exhaust when I was about 6 is pretty vivid in my memory) I'd imagine it goes the same for animals taken for furs. Seems sort of cruel I guess as opposed to a bullet. Probably keeps people from just shooting them for sport perhaps?

Thanks for all the comments - I've learned alot in the last week (The photos have gotten ALOT of attention in this area, its been an onslaught of giving permissions for various uses) - I guess they are truly a docile animal - I am told that hisotically aboriginals used to hunt them by just walking up to them and bonking them in the head with a stick - a trapper also told me he occaisonally catches them in his hare snares, funny thing is the Lynx can easily snap the brass wire in a rabbit snare but often they will not bother and just lay down and wait for the trapper to set them loose. Sounds like a few have seen that trait up close. I can't believe anyone would want to hunt these, about as much challenge as hunting a house cat.

A warden I know went to the site the next day and spotted two lynx hanging out there, so even a bigger thrill for him

I don't mind sharing so if anyone wants an original res copy via email PM me with an email big enough for a 7.2p

PS camera is a pretty afordable 7.2 fugi with a fixed , but large, lense. I'll get the actual model number if anyone wants it.