Fly Fusion Forums

Buying A Mid-high End 4wt Setup

Komp

Looking at taking the next step with my fly fishing gear and getting a mid-high end 4wt rod and reel setup. Any recommendations? (I will list some of the items I'm looking at).

Reels - Okuma Helios, Ross Evo, Ross Cimarron, Sage 2500

Rods - appx $400, fast action.....I can get a deal on a Sage Z-Axis so if it is worth the jump up in price, please let me know

Don't get caught up in it's Sage or nothing. There are some real good rods on the market and you should be looking for something that compliments or enhances your casting style. You should also examine closely what you expect of the rod in terms of where and how you fish. Matter of fact you should also look at your temperment or personality.

It appears you have been fishing for a while at least and of course with the improvement in your fishing you want your equipment to reflect that. What I am going to suggest is to stay away from fast action rods and maybe even consider a slow action like the Loomis Whisper Creek. Fast action rods are not the best for fighting fish and protecting light tippets. Rods that give down into the butt section do a much better job. Fast action rods are not the best for people that have a slow methodical approach to their fishing or other aspects of their life. Slower action rods are more forgiving in that timing is not as critical in getting a decent cast as fast rods are. Us less than perfect casters do get better casts out of slower action rods than with fast because of that forgiveness.

The whisper creek is a bit pricey ($600 or more) but is a beautiful casting slow action rod. If that is bit too much and you are looking at a good all round general purpose rod that is going to see the lion's share of your fishing the medium, fast Loomis East fork fits in that under $500 range. I am sure you will find the rod will handle anything you expect out of a decent tool. Whether you are throwing size 18 PMD's one minute and large weighted nymphs or streamers the next the rod won't let you down.

Then again if you are a fast paced guy maybe that fast action is best for you.

I want to double what Gary says. I'm not one of the "sage is the rage" crowd. They are sweet rods, but it doesn't begin and end there. There are probably a lot of hidden jewels out there and although I have never cast any of the rods he mentions, for some reason, it sounds like he knows what he's talking about. His advice on slow(er) also sounds sound. If you are going to get a lighter rod, why get a fast action? It kind of defeats the purpose. I have an ultra fast 3wt and I can land (and lose) fish like its a 6 wt.

Anyway, I think Gary has some "sage" advice.

I own a couple Loomis rods and I have always been a fan of G. Loomis. I also like Sage, Redington, TFO, St. Croix.....get my drift? Hell, I have a rod right now that someone built...kind of a sloppy job all around, no idea what blank it is or what hardware was used but I really like the feel of it. The fish certainly don't know it's not pretty. It's a 9ft #3 and I carry it as a back up on cuttie streams but I end up using it more than my higher end rods. It just feels right when I cast it. None of my rods are what you would call "high-end" anyways...as a general rule I refuse to pay more than $300 for a rod. A $6-700 rod is not going to make you a better caster...it will only tweak your (hopefully) good casting skills. It's like buying a really high-end set of golf clubs....not going to make you swing like Tiger. You might get an extra 5-10 yards out of them but that's about it. Whereas, Tiger can pick up any club and still swing like a champ.

Reels: Islander, Amundson (nice reels for under $150.00), Lamson, Galvan, Ross, Pfleuger...hell I own a couple Redington reels that I really like (they're light, have tons of capacity, a great drag and mostly come in under $150.00). It all depends on what feels comfortable to you.

Some people vary and you're going to get a ton of different opinions on here. You really need to go and cast some rods. Pick out some reels that you like and see how they match up with the rods. Find your price range and then go around to the shops in Calgary and cast those rods and pick which one suits you the best.

I guess what I'm trying to say is don't let us make that decision for you. You need to pick a rod that you can cast well and feels comfortable for you.

James

What are you going to use the 4wt for?

What lengh are you thinking about?

I would answer those questions to myself before jumping on a good deal, it would suck to buy a rod that you really never use.

For myself the Z-axis is a really decent rod, great for most water you will encounter, there is a reason the Z axis are one of if not the most popular rods in the world. I use my 9' 4 wt a lot on the Bow chucking dries, I used it last season on many small creeks and found it a bit to big. So this season I have got a TXL to focus on other smaller waters. If your fishing will be in small waters I would take a look at some smaller 4wts. Sage makes the TXL 4wts in 7' and 7'10" The TXLs are great rods with unreal accuracy, plus they feel as if there is nothing your hand.

mind you I am fairly biased towards Sage, but I have looked at the Whisper Creek Gloomis but I found for the cost it was not much of a technical leap from other manufacturers so why be burdened with the extra cost and I am a Gloomis fan.... all of my current bait chucking gear is from GL. The Loop Opti-creeks are really nice sticks I got to cast Maxwell's with a shooting head he had on it and it was easy to chuck huge bombs with.

As for a reel, you can't go wrong with mating a Sage reel with a Sage rod, the 2500's have been replaced by the 4500s &4500CFs. The 4500cfs are super cool if you are looking for weight savings but some are put off by the carbon fibre. You might want to look at the new Sage 2030 or even a Click III. Realistically though for a 4wt any reel that you select will do you just fine, you are reeling in Tarpon.

There seem to be a lot of sage and loomis guys on here. A couple of years ago, i picked up an Orvis T3 8'6" 4 wt rod. I love it. I would like to echo what a couple of the other guys have already said, dont buy the rod untill you have had a chance to spend a couple of hours casting it. If you like, I could meet up with you and you could try my Orvis for a while. I'm busy for the next couple of weeks but after that I'd be happy to meet you on the river.

Murray

I think I would be inclined to put the horse back in front of the cart. As has been asked, 4wt for what and where?. What "rod action" is applicable? Any fast action for small streams just does not apply.

What is the actual purpose of buying "a high end rod" ? Quality? Warranty? Function? Or "the name" ?

All but the last one should be reasons to try everything that is "out there". If you are going to lay out that kind of cash for a fly rod, get one that fits YOU and whatever application you have for it. Go to every shop you can find, take masking tape with you and cover the "brand", line it, wave it, pick one that feels best, for you. Pick your reel, then spend time attaching it to different rods.

j

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with what a few of the guys on here have said, having a fast action rod for creek fishing is kind of pointless. You are not making 60-70' casts and likely with a 4wt you are fishing lighter tippets which fast rods are more pone to snapping. I havent bought a new rod for a few years now so I am no longer up on the technology as I once was, so I cant really help you out as far as specific rods go. As far as reels go, take a look at a Lamson Lightspeed or Velocity. The drag is smooth on them and they are super light.

I would buy an IR if they weren't so dang loud. I am kind of a freak when it comes to noise while I am fishing, too easy to distract me from what I am wanting to do.

As for reels I really enjoyed my Bauer and more so I absoultly love my Hatch. Both have amazing drags and are worth the clams you have to trow down for them.

As for rods, I have never really fished with a Z-Axis so hard for me to comment on it, but I do really like the Loop Opti Stream or the Loop Multi (Much cheeper then the Opti but still an amazing dry fly rod)

Like a couple of people have said, you really need to get out and try a couple of rods, some people just hate fast action rods while others love them, you just have to find what you like and go from there.

Anytime I am out on the river with any of my single handers and you waqnt to give them a try feel more then free to ask me.

How about an Orvis T3 with an Islander IR2 reel........And if you're going high end and want to do some good for the fish at the same time, I think you can still buy a Trout Unlimited lifetime membership for $1000.00 and they'll give you the rod..........That's a win-win deal..........By the way, I think you have other rod choices with the membership but mine was a T3........