Fly Fusion Forums

Have You Seen This!

acurrie

I know this was a year or two back, but wow!, that is one damn big rainbow! heres the story as well:

rainbow.jpg

(From Trophytroutguide.com)

Bend, Oregon and Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada – Somebody once said, “records are made to be broken." One of the premiere freshwater world records fell a few weeks ago.

Trophytroutguide.com announces that partner angler Adam Konrad of Saskatoon, SK., has landed the largest rainbow trout ever documented on 6-6-07. The huge fish weighed an astonishing 43.6 LB on a certified scale. With a girth of 34 in. and a length of 38.5 in., the fish was almost as big around as it was long! The fish came out of the Lake Diefenbaker system, which is a virtually unknown trophy trout fishery located in Saskatchewan, Canada.

Adam and his twin brother Sean, have been pounding some of the biggest rainbows in the world for some time now. They both own IGFA line class records and now the all-tackle record, which just happened to be caught on 6 LB. test. A Mepps Syclops spoon did the trick.

The old record has stood since 1970 when David White caught a 42.2 pound rainbow near Bell Island Alaska. Adam has submitted his IGFA application for the new record and a source at IGFA says that Adam’s application has been received and is in process. When the application goes through, Adam will hold the new all tackle world record for rainbow trout.

Adam has partnered up with trophytroutguide.com to create a DVD with footage of his world record catch. This will certainly be something that trophy trout aficionados will want to see!

Rick Arnold of trophytroutguide.com said this is a “huge deal” and one of the most exciting things to happen in the trophy trout world over the last 40 years. Congratulations Adam and Sean! This truly is the "fish of a lifetime"!

The fishfarm fish are marketed @ 2-3 lbs and that's still a free swimming fish in a big bitch of a fertile lake, although the rumour I got 'round OutLook is that the fish got that way eating lake whitefish chow below turbine outfall on Gardiner.

...the rumour I got 'round OutLook.....

hmmm based on your posts i you were an interesting character with experience and an excellent sense of humour. now i'm even more intrigued in that i'm from outlook originally. since this story broke been trying to figure out if it would be worthwhile to go back "home" to fly fish diefenbaker.

what's your connection to outlook?

I think its a shame that this freak trout is considered a record...

It's like raising deer then letting them go to be shot once they have gained max growth.

The fish is obviously a farm escapee, bred to be big, fed pellets most of its life, then big enough to not worry about predators when the storms wreaked the nets and released the fish.

Big fish, great catch, disgrace to call it a sportfishing record.

hmmm based on your posts i you were an interesting character with experience and an excellent sense of humour. now i'm even more intrigued in that i'm from outlook originally. since this story broke been trying to figure out if it would be worthwhile to go back "home" to fly fish diefenbaker.

Ah Shucks........ :blush:

PM headed ur way

Taco,

Ditto above. Now will you take me back country fishing? I'm not asking for many secrets, only where the big cutties are in tiny water. Not interested in that lake crap.

Taco,

Ditto above. Now will you take me back country fishing? I'm not asking for many secrets, only where the big cutties are in tiny water. Not interested in that lake crap.

Yeah.. ONLY that.. haha. I'd ask if I can come too.. but I don't want to ruin it for Rick! :P

I know some people from that area, Elbow, Hawarden, etc. that said they ship some trout from that farm to NYC? Probably goes for big bucks too. Kinda interested me, we've got 3 dugouts that are unoccupied.. Aerate 'em and raise rainbows for the NYC restaurant scene???

As for backcountry fishin', if Taco and I got together we'd probably have to worry more about woodpeckers than bears..

Closer to home....... before they killed Crawling Valley and restocked it with walleye there was the chance of new Alberta record Rainbows as fish in the teens were being caught regularly out of it, ugly looking rainbows with tiny heads and enormous bodies very similar to the MT. Lamson trout in California, I'm sure Uliwon Spent some time fishing them.