Fly Fusion Forums

Reel Help

jordo

Hi all, looking for a few opinions here, I received a new 8 wt TFO Axiom rod for Christmas and need to match a reel to it (I have the 5 wt Axiom paired with a Lamson Velocity and it served me very well last year). Anyway I'd like to spend ~300$ on a new reel for my new stick and am wondering if there was a better value out there (it'll be strictly a streamer rig). If not, another Lamson it'll be.

Thanks in advance.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

pfluger all the way. I use one on my 9wt spey rod and its awesome. Looks great and has a crazy good drag. I got the president in the 9wt size and it looks huge. Theres room for 500+ yards of backing and the clicker can be removed with the supplied tool.

you cant make crap and be around for over 100 years!

I picked up an Amundson TXS 5/6/7 for my TFO last summer. Love it. Damn near picked one up for my 3wt the other day, but got a good deal on a Scierra that I couldn't pass up. The 3wt Trend is a sweet looking reel, whisper quiet and smooth as glass. Can't go wrong for $130. 8/9 wt likely a bit more, but well under the price range you're looking at.

Just something to think about. Wholesale has them in stock.

http://www.amundson.ca/images/page/amundso...yfish_cat08.pdf

I would have to second that for the Pfluger president, super reel for the price. Well manufactured, I have two. I still use my Dad's Pfluger Medalist from the 30's so it tells a lot about quality.

You might also check out the trading post, Max has a bauer mx4 on there. Jahad also had some nice reels there. You could also pick up a Hardy Cascapedia's with the British pound down and a 40% off right now on the Harris Site it's a good bet also if ou like click prawls.

if it were me i would go with a loop evotec or multi second too taht would be a bauer reel junior mac or rogue.... okuma helious si a nice reel too but dosnt have the lifetime warranty like teh otehr two.... ross reels also makes some dandy stuff!

I'm only buying orvis and islander reels from now on.

Why............you won't get to use them..........new baby means no fishing............two mean minivan............but you need not worry right now................due to your upcoming 6-9 months of forced abstinence . :angel:smail: