Fly Fusion Forums

Knot Tool Question

ÜberFly

Gang,

I've been trying to tie my own loops at the end of the line - I can tie a nail knot (with a cut piece from a ball point pen tube), but it never comes out consistently neat... Yeah, I realize that practice makes perfect, but is there a tool that can help with my consistency?! Is there one that's better then the next?! If so, which one (and why?)?!

Thanks,

Peter

I have a small tool that more or less looks like a small set of nail clippers. The clippers are the main body and there is a "v" notch that swivels out as well as small file, works the same as Tungsten describes. Small, cheap tool and due to the clippers gets used constantly.

I got it at wholesale but can't remember what it's called.

This the one i use Peter ,the little "V" notch in the end is what makes it easy Once you have made the knot pull it off with a sharp pull onto your fly line .It also works well for nailing your loops.I like the shrink sleeve idea for loops or just wrapping thread .

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0037403319389a.shtml

Yup, same tool I use when I'm putting loops in my line and it works great. You can find it at most of the shops in Calgary.

The best tool of all for tying nail knots (and the cheapest too), is an inflating needle.

R296301.jpg

Just cut (be careful not to crimp the tube) or file off the business end and you have exactly the right size tube that works better than a nail, and IMHO, better than all the nail knot tools you can buy. Terry

I would agree with the clippers with the little v that pulls out. Although I have now gone to the welded loop at the end to simplify that. I have been told that the loops create a bit of a hinge that causes problems in casting however I haven't noticed a problem with it at this point.

I was using a bic pen ink tube for a while but found I was coming home with ink on my face when I would lose the first section of the tube and have to cut another closer to the ink. When the wind is blowing it is extremly frustating to be messing with those knots.

This the one i use Peter ,the little "V" notch in the end is what makes it easy Once you have made the knot pull it off with a sharp pull onto your fly line .It also works well for nailing your loops.I like the shrink sleeve idea for loops or just wrapping thread .

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0037403319389a.shtml

I've tried all sorts of tools, this one works for me, now, because some friend insisted on this portion of using the tool "pull it off with a sharp pull" !, which is what I was NOT doing with the tool.

I had the tool shown by tungsten and lost it somewhere but I did get a laugh when I bought it. In the instructions is has the bit about giving it a sharp pull complete with corresponding illustration and it shows the line being pulled sharply with a little "snap" indicated as the line comes off the tool.

Clearly it's all in the wrist. As for my self I find I get a better knot if I forget the sharp tug and gently ease the knot off the tool and carefully arrange the wraps with my fingers as I'm pulling it tight.

I make my own nail knot tools. I keep one in every kit bag. My biggest problem with store-bought metal ones was that when I inevitably dropped one, while changing leaders(wasn't using loops) in the pontoon boat, they sank like a rock, of course! :$*%&:

So now, I build my own floating ones. 3/8 hardwood dowel, cut lengthwise dead centre at a shallow angle, then sharpened on a 150 grit sanding disc. Add a half-wine cork for the knob and coat it with thread sealer:

Picture_003.jpg

The fine taper makes "neat" really simple:

Picture_007.jpg

Picture_009.jpg

j