Fly Fusion Forums

Caster's Elbow---ouch!

alan2

Well, after about 4 hours of fishing each the last 4 days, my casting elbow is a bit sore. :$*%&: I had this last summer too, but hoped it would be all gone by now. I found that as a right handed caster, if I fished moving water from the awkward side of the stream (you know what I mean) and had to do some backhand type of casts it aggravated it more, so I only fished from the easier side of the Bow ( the west side) these few days, but it still bothers a bit.

Anyone else have this happen from casting? It seems like part of the cause might be too much wrist flexing whan casting. Last summer I adapted a bit by using more shoulder, body movement and way less elbow/wrist flex entirely.

Comments? Suggestions? (Yes I know---take casting lessons!)

Thanks guys.

alan

Had that also a couple of years ago. Definably see a doctor. It's what made me switch over to the Spey style of casting, double haul was killing me. I adopted a style that is more body movement oriented. I've been lucky to have the condition disappear over time.

You may need to look at your casting style and revise it in some way. Before anything you need to heal it.

I had my elbow xray'd when I hurt my arm a coue of weeks ago. Doc said:

"Its not broken, but you know it's a bit arthritic don't you?

Great. I haven't spoken to him about it in detal, but I have known something was up for a while now. Ill get him to give me options after the injury totally heals.

Anyway, my point is had I not had the injury, it may have been years before I did anything about it the annoying pain. Go see a Doctor!

And in my case pray I don't have to spey cast. I can't.afford it!

#1, good advice already sent, go see a doctor and lay off for a while, don't bum up your upcoming summer!

I had a friend who got the same problem a few years back. Partly arthitis (*common in us old guys) and mostly casting style/stoke. Correction came when he took an hour with a casting coach, learned to shoot line Vs. aerilizing too long a line and changed his line to a shorter head section, same 5Wt as he had before but different configuration. Not all lines are built the same even if they are listed as WF. Pills took care of the arthritis, under medical direction.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

When it was really bothering last summer, I went to a physiotherapist in Market Mall prof bldg, who basically said it's a type of tennis elbow. I had 4 treatments over 4 wks, (massage, tens) and he suggested I try an elbow brace, and/or a wrist brace. I can't say that the treatments made any difference but since they were administered by ladies 25 yrs younger than me, it was stimulating for a short time. :lol:

The wrist brace sort of helped a bit, elbow brace, no. I also do these wrist flex& hold stretches they suggested and I actually thought it was gone now since it's had 2 months of rest but apparently not. Dang.

If it wasn't for the fact that I only seem to have half the control of my left arm that I'd like, then I'd switch over sometimes. Share the workload.

Had that also a couple of years ago. Definably see a doctor. It's what made me switch over to the Spey style of casting, double haul was killing me. I adopted a style that is more body movement oriented. I've been lucky to have the condition disappear over time.

You may need to look at your casting style and revise it in some way. Before anything you need to heal it.

If the conservative treatment isn't working, and typically it doesn't unless you give your arm a good rest, and even then it may come back after a few sessions, then the casting style is going to help the best. I really like the low arm cast on the side, it's tough to get good snap on the release, but it does the trick. (although i'm no expert on casting)

A friend of mine and I suffer occasionally from "tennis or fly casters elbow". It is sometimes inflamed ligaments and sometimes slightly torn ones.(or arthritis in the joint) In the case of the first circumstances, winter should rest it, but a definite aid to rest and healing is the removal of inflammation and pain. Don't know if it's available in pharmacies in Alberta(because it's an iffy thing here in BC, some do, some won't), but ibuprofen gel 20% is like magic in a jar for elbows and shoulders.

j

Well, after about 4 hours of fishing each the last 4 days, my casting elbow is a bit sore. :$*%&: I had this last summer too, but hoped it would be all gone by now. I found that as a right handed caster, if I fished moving water from the awkward side of the stream (you know what I mean) and had to do some backhand type of casts it aggravated it more, so I only fished from the easier side of the Bow ( the west side) these few days, but it still bothers a bit.

Anyone else have this happen from casting? It seems like part of the cause might be too much wrist flexing whan casting. Last summer I adapted a bit by using more shoulder, body movement and way less elbow/wrist flex entirely.

Comments? Suggestions? (Yes I know---take casting lessons!)

Thanks guys.

alan

Oh dude...I feel your pain. Literally. I have had the same pain in my elbow since Thanksgiving, or fake Thanksgiving according to rickr, and went to see a physiotherapist. She massaged it, used ultrasound on it (aparently it reduces the swelling involved with an over used tendon) and even had my chiropractor do some active release on it. The chiropractor bit worked the best, so I tried mimicking the techniques myself with some Deep Cold and it has done it's job over time. The elbow brace hasn't really done what its supposed to for me, but ibuprophen really helps reduce the inflamation in the tendon. Took a while, but the best thing for it is rest. Try to use your other hand for whatever you can and stretch the muscles in your arm and elbow. Be patient is the key.

I used to lay by the stream and put my arm in the water last summer which helped the sore elbow until the water got too warm in August...and I also found the side casting was less painful too.

I didn't think topically applied Ibruprofen (gel) could or would even work. Hmmm, maybe I'll check around and maybe I will just not fish for a couple more months and rest it. Boring.

Alan

Yes, it is boring. I can't tell you how badly I have wanted to fish lately, but wanted to make sure I rested my arm real well so that I didn't completely bugger it for my first full season of fishing this summer where I'll have more time to hit the water.

It's boring, but worth it.

• 1 month later...

Years ago I was heading down that slippery slope called caster's elbow until I began using a good elbow brace: www.serolabio.com

Along with the brace and some simple stretches to the forearm my casting arm is now good. I never fish or cast without wearing the brace.

best fishes, Paul