Fly Fusion Forums

Juassic Lake

fishpro

I just returned from a week in Argentina fishing Jurassic Lake, and can say that it was the most unbelievable fishing I have ever seen. I spent 4 and a half days on the lake, and rarely ever went more than 5 minutes without a fish on the line. In addition to the lake, I also fished the tributary stream where fish were migrating and staging. Just to let everyone know, some of the fish were very dark, some of these were like this in the lake well before spawning, and I only caught 1 or 2 from the river that appeared to be spawning and quickly moved if there were spawning fish there. Also, their way of landing fish was pulling them up onto the wet portion of the beach, but I ensured that no fish touched dry land.

Here are the pictures, I'll let them tell the story. (The pictures are facebook albums, but are available for anyone to see)

Before Jurassic Lake, a glacier tour I went on.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=6397...mp;id=709736915

Fish from the Lake

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=6398...mp;id=709736915

Randoms

WOWZAS!!!! what was the tactic there? And was it the time of year that was so productive? Is that a very popular lake for tourist fly fisherman did you go to a lodge have a guide or did you just get on a plane and giver. Sweet photos. Oh one more did those fish just tear off the line when you hooked them and go arial or did they just pull like a fright train and tug of war till your arm was going to fall off.

edit: The fish gods will bless you for sharing these photos with FFC, thanks man made my day

In response to the questions, I did go in with the Loop camp. With the current exchange rates, you're looking at around $4800 cdn for the trip in there, which includes 4.5 days of fishing. It's quite expensive but definitely worth it. They can also arrange for all your travel arrangements, including shuttles between airports, hotels, etc.

The lake is becoming more well known. It has only been known on an international scale for about 2.5 years, but the word is quickly getting out there. There are a couple other camps on the lake, but I from what I hear and have seen the Loop camp has the highest concentration of fish as it's situated at the mouth of the lake's only tributary stream.

They say that November is the best for total numbers of fish, but the numbers do remain very high throughout the season they say. The fish spawn year round, so there will always be fish around the river and mouth.

In terms of technique, the following is what worked best for me:

1. String up your rod.

2. Tie on heavy tippet.

3. Tie on whatever fly you wanted.

4. Cast out your line.

5. Hang on.

As for the fight, they were very strong fish, but not as strong for their size as Bow River rainbows. Most fish took me very close to my backing, but none actually into it. They did everything though, screaming runs, 4 foot jumps, big headshakes, etc.

Overall it was an amazing trip and I would recommend it for anyone.

The steak was pretty good, as was all the food, the camp chef was great. I wouldn't say as good as Alberta though.

Unfortunately I didn't have the chance to fish for dorado, I had to take a week off school as it was, so time was limited anyway.