Fly Fusion Forums

Fishin Gloves

agbff

Well, Its gettin cold and my fingers feel like they will fall off when i get a fish and have to put them in the water. I have fingerless fleece gloves but still find my hands are numb after an hour or two. Does any one have any better suggestions? Anyone know of neoprene gloves that would be thin enough? I dont want to buy over the net to find that the gloves are too thick to feel a line between your fingers.

thanks

andy

Simms has pretty awesome fingerless gloves, they have the flip over to keep you warmer when not using that hand. Sadly i don't think there is a glove on the market that offers what bare fingers does for feel.

Best bet, Take your gloves off to touch a fish and get your hands wet. Dry off your hands (bring something to do this) and put the fingerless gloves back on.

As soon as your hands get wet, is when they get cold fast. However, even wet gloves will keep you warmer then no gloves at all

I like the fingerless gloves made by Kenai. They have a thin neoprene palmside and polyester fleece backside and interior. They don't absorb water, so when you dunk your hand in the water, you won't have a water logged glove for the rest of the day. Being fingerless, you're still going to get cold, but as others have pointed out, there's no way you can operate a fly rod with a set of full gloves. I'm sure you can find the Kenai gloves in Calgary, but if not, you can get them at the Crowsnest Angler. Terry

Guest KnottyGirl
I use the little mini gloves you can buy from walmart. They are like 2 bucks a pair and allow you to fish with ease. If they get wet grab another pair outta yer backpack.

I prefer the white but Loyal Eddie uses the pink.

These seem to work alright for me too, but I cut the fingers off... and I try not to buy pink, a bit to girly for me, but hey Eddie, what ever works for you, who am I to judge?

Thanks for the heat pad tip Tungsten, I think I'll give that a try!

Never been a big fan of neoprene. I carry 3 pairs of gloves two fingerless made of wool (wool gloves are getting hard to find but stay warm even when wet). Third pair is fingerless with a flip glove over. I like to change gloves after an hour or two or if they get wet or sweaty. I also use hand warmers.

Yo, I was trying out my neoprene riding/kayaking gloves I got from MEC for winter biking... Although they are great at keeping you warm, they suck for fishing, as you can't feel the line... I was thinking of cutting the fingers off, but then I won't be able to use them for riding.

might be worth a look though. Super cheap, and I bet they will work with the fingers cut off... Also, they have a long cuff which is nice for keeping the wind out.

Neoprene glove mec

I use a set of North Face Insulated polyester gloves. They are not real bulky and fit tight on the hand which makes grabing things like line easier. I find they are good enough for me for most days other then the real cold ones. I usually wear them ice fishing as well. They are even still really warm once they get wet. I know Outdoor Research makes a simliar model as well. Anyway here is the link for them. http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gea...etch-glove.html

I carry three sets of nyoprenes and one set of regular ski gloves. After fishing for a while when the nyoprenes get cold and ice up I switch to a fresh pair. The ski gloves are for the walk back to the truck.

If someone has any suggestions to keep ice forming on your rod I'd like to hear them. The commercial products don't work very well....

I carry three sets of nyoprenes and one set of regular ski gloves. After fishing for a while when the nyoprenes get cold and ice up I switch to a fresh pair. The ski gloves are for the walk back to the truck.

If someone has any suggestions to keep ice forming on your rod I'd like to hear them. The commercial products don't work very well....

Just dip em in the water for a bit.

how about jstu mannin up and letting your hands get use too it.. i freakin hate gloves.. have used em form time too time but found that i would rather fish without em..... first few freezes suck but my hands toughen up and its all good for the rest of the season...... iced up rods are apart of the game.. after all its freakin winter

how about jstu mannin up and letting your hands get use too it.. i freakin hate gloves.. have used em form time too time but found that i would rather fish without em..... first few freezes suck but my hands toughen up and its all good for the rest of the season...... iced up rods are apart of the game.. after all its freakin winter

Reminds me of my grandpa,could sit all day over a hole on Newell in febuary and never put on gloves .

I'm like Max. I hate gloves. I rarely fish when its under -15C, so barehands are bearable if I have handwarmers. I use the kind you buy at crappy tire where you light up a charcoal stick and put it in your coat pocket. When my hand gets cold, I fish with one hand while I warm up the other (I caught about 3 fish doing that last time out). Its surprising how long your hand will stay warm after you warm it up this way.

But, this is probably the best advise you're going to get on keeping your hands and toes and ears warm.....

Keep your core warm. If you keep your core warm, it won't suck blood from your extremities. The secret is blood flow. Three sweaters and two coats if thats what it takes. Stick one of those hand warmers in your shirt pocket. Buy those lumbar back warmers and put that on before you start. Sometimes I feel stupid and look like the Michelan Man compared to everyone else on the stream but I don't feel so bad when they are heading home because they're cold and I'm still going strong.

Man, you're a bit young to be getting so grumpy!